Old 13-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Helen Humphreys

Default Alchemilla Mollis

How can I get rid of this monster that is trying to take over my whole
garden, spreading from a single clump in just three years? I was naively
ignorant, when I put it in, that it was intent on world domination!! Digging
it out seems futile, with such a fine-grained root system.

Help, please!!

Graham Humphreys

Old 13-07-2005, 12:39 PM
p.k.

Helen Humphreys wrote:
How can I get rid of this monster that is trying to take over my whole
garden, spreading from a single clump in just three years? I was
naively ignorant, when I put it in, that it was intent on world
domination!! Digging it out seems futile, with such a fine-grained
root system.
Help, please!!

Graham Humphreys

digging it out will work well - it spreads mailny by self seeding not bits
of root.

pk

Old 13-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Kay

In article , Helen
Humphreys writes
How can I get rid of this monster that is trying to take over my whole
garden, spreading from a single clump in just three years? I was naively
ignorant, when I put it in, that it was intent on world domination!! Digging
it out seems futile, with such a fine-grained root system.

Don't, whatever you do, let it seed.

Clipping off the main 'branches' at ground level with secateurs so that
there are no leaves left seems to work eventually. Pulling out small
plants is easy and worthwhile. Otherwise, I suppose you're looking at
weedkiller.
--
Kay

Old 13-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Helen Humphreys" contains these words:

How can I get rid of this monster that is trying to take over my whole
garden, spreading from a single clump in just three years? I was naively
ignorant, when I put it in, that it was intent on world domination!!
Digging
it out seems futile, with such a fine-grained root system.

I just loosen them with a hand fork and pull them out. The small root
filaments don't regrow.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 13-07-2005, 02:14 PM
BAC

"Helen Humphreys" wrote in message
How can I get rid of this monster that is trying to take over my whole
garden, spreading from a single clump in just three years? I was naively
ignorant, when I put it in, that it was intent on world domination!!

Digging
it out seems futile, with such a fine-grained root system.

Help, please!!

Don't worry, my experience of Lady's Mantle is that keeping it in check by
pulling out or digging up unwanted plants works well. Failing that, I
noticed that an accidental spray of glyphosate (intended for a neighbouring
pest) killed it off, too.

Old 13-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:28:39 +0000 (UTC), "Helen Humphreys"
wrote:

How can I get rid of this monster that is trying to take over my whole
garden, spreading from a single clump in just three years? I was naively
ignorant, when I put it in, that it was intent on world domination!! Digging
it out seems futile, with such a fine-grained root system.

Help, please!!

Graham Humphreys

Heard advice on this only yesterday at a talk. Just cut the whole
plant back as the flowers begin to fade, so it cannot self seed.
Digging oput unwanted plants after the cutting back should avoid the
need for weedkiller. However, in my overcrowded garden mine has been
choked out. I shall need to bring more in from my allotment.

Pam in Bristol

Hamamelis mollis K United Kingdom 3 07-10-2008 01:43 AM
Alchemilla Alpina (_Lady's Mantle_) Tina Morris United Kingdom 0 02-06-2008 12:34 AM
acanthus mollis clarissa United Kingdom 1 03-10-2007 06:07 PM