Old 13-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Cire

Default Super-sized Gazanias

Last year I bought three superb gazanias plants off a market trader and
would very much like to grow some more but I have no idea what variety they
are, or who sells the seed.

The flowers are enormous, at least three inches across, beautiful strong
colours, and very proflic. The plants are very strong and, something I have
never ever managed in the past, they survived the winter outdoors.
Admittedly, we did have a fairly good winter, but it managed to reach 8
below on a couple of occasions. Anyway, I find they usually die through
rotting off rather than from frost, even if I move them to the greenhouse.

I have never seen this type before and if anyone could tell me what they
are, I should be grateful.

Eric

Old 14-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:48:15 +0100, "Cire"
wrote:

Last year I bought three superb gazanias plants off a market trader and
would very much like to grow some more but I have no idea what variety they
are, or who sells the seed.

The flowers are enormous, at least three inches across, beautiful strong
colours, and very proflic. The plants are very strong and, something I have
never ever managed in the past, they survived the winter outdoors.
Admittedly, we did have a fairly good winter, but it managed to reach 8
below on a couple of occasions. Anyway, I find they usually die through
rotting off rather than from frost, even if I move them to the greenhouse.

I have never seen this type before and if anyone could tell me what they
are, I should be grateful.

Eric

There are several strains of gazanias available: Chiltern list seeds
for 'Sunshine' mixed, 'Talent' mixed and 'Mini Star' mixed.

I buy them mail-order as mini-plugs, approx £10 for 100. They make
very colourful edging to mixed flowerbeds.

--
Chris

Old 14-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Cire

Many thanks, Chris. I have looked them up on Chiltern's website and that
certainly sounds like them.

I will try your recommendation concerning the mini-plugs next year .

Eric