Old 17-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Hazel

Default Passiflora 'Amethyst' question

How many lobes does the leaf of Passiflora 'Amethyst' have ?
I have lost my main one and the labels have been taken out of my backups
passiflora's, a nice tot did it for me

Hazel

Old 17-07-2005, 03:33 PM
spakker

"Hazel" wrote in message
How many lobes does the leaf of Passiflora 'Amethyst' have ?
I have lost my main one and the labels have been taken out of my backups
passiflora's, a nice tot did it for me
Hazel

Don't know -but I also lost an 'amethyst' and found out that there are
different varieties called amethyst and some are tender, mine died
overwinter outside in a not very cold area when lots of others are thriving.

Old 17-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Hazel

"Hazel" wrote in message
How many lobes does the leaf of Passiflora 'Amethyst' have ?
I have lost my main one and the labels have been taken out of my backups
passiflora's, a nice tot did it for me
Hazel

Don't know -but I also lost an 'amethyst' and found out that there are
different varieties called amethyst and some are tender, mine died
overwinter outside in a not very cold area when lots of others are
thriving.

Ah the good old misnameing problem.

thanks spakker

Old 17-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 10:23:00 GMT, "Hazel" wrote:

How many lobes does the leaf of Passiflora 'Amethyst' have ?
I have lost my main one and the labels have been taken out of my backups
passiflora's, a nice tot did it for me

Hazel

Vanderplank gives the following for P. Amethyst:

aka 'Lavendar Lady' (sic) or 'Star of Mikan'

"leaves 60-80mm long, 100-120mm wide, deeply 3-lobed for 4/5ths of
their length, 5 nerves, membranous, with 2 small glands in the
sinuses".

He does say that it can be grown outdoors but needs a sheltered
position. Minimum temperature 2C (35F), but will tolerate lower
temperatures for brief periods. He implies it's best grown indoors or
in a greenhouse or conservatory.

Often confused with P.amethystina, the leaves of which also have 3
lobes but which are broader and much more T-shaped overall. This one
is tender, minimum temperature 10C (50F).

--
Chris

Old 18-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Hazel

[...]

Wonderful info, thank you Chris

Hazel

Anthurium-Amethyst-0888-2 of 2 Marutchi Garden Photos 4 09-01-2007 11:03 PM
Anthurium-Amethyst-0884-1 of 2 Marutchi Garden Photos 0 09-01-2007 04:16 AM
Royal Amethyst Shiva Roses 8 27-05-2003 02:44 PM
Wisteria "Amethyst Falls" MAC North Carolina 1 29-04-2003 10:56 PM