Old 20-07-2005, 09:04 AM
PDES

Default How do I remove brambles from my lawn!!!!

I recently moved into a new house which had new lawns laid. Until recently,
the lawns had been cut religiously but on leaving the lawn for three weeks,
a great many brambles started to go through. I doubt whether lawn
weedkiller would be strong enough to cope with this invasion so does anyone
have any ideas as to how to eradicate the brambles without destroying the
lawn?

Regards

David

Old 20-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
PDES wrote:
I recently moved into a new house which had new lawns laid. Until recently,
the lawns had been cut religiously but on leaving the lawn for three weeks,
a great many brambles started to go through. I doubt whether lawn
weedkiller would be strong enough to cope with this invasion so does anyone
have any ideas as to how to eradicate the brambles without destroying the
lawn?

Mow the lawn regularly and all will be well.

That is almost certainly because the lawn was created by laying turfs
on top of ground that had been uncultivated for a long time, without
killing the brambles. Bloody cowboys.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Lol

"PDES" wrote in message
I recently moved into a new house which had new lawns laid. Until
recently, the lawns had been cut religiously but on leaving the lawn for
three weeks, a great many brambles started to go through. I doubt whether
lawn weedkiller would be strong enough to cope with this invasion so does
anyone have any ideas as to how to eradicate the brambles without
destroying the lawn?

Regards

David

So you trace the bramble back to where its roots are, lift that area of
turf, dig out the bramble and its roots, replace the turf.
Repeat as required.
I love that term "lift the turf" - it makes it sound so easy, like "lift the
carpet" - I would be sure to water the area to be lifted first. (And hope
there aren't too many stones there).
Lol

Old 20-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Jollygreenp

If you don't wish to go the trouble and pain of digging out the
brambles try Tumbleweed gel. Use this in conjunction with the
suggestion to mow regularly, paint it on the leaves as new shoots poke
their heads above ground. It may take a little more time than digging
them out but it will conquer the problem..

Old 20-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Martin Brown

PDES wrote:

I recently moved into a new house which had new lawns laid. Until recently,
the lawns had been cut religiously but on leaving the lawn for three weeks,
a great many brambles started to go through. I doubt whether lawn
weedkiller would be strong enough to cope with this invasion so does anyone
have any ideas as to how to eradicate the brambles without destroying the
lawn?

Keep cutting it regularly through the season and try a broadleaf
specific lawn weedkiller as well. Chances are the brambles could survive
either one in isolation but not an orchestrated attack.

Be sure to follow the instructions about when to apply and when not to
cut the lawn. It will make a lot of difference. You have to sap the
strength out of what were probably old established bramble roots
underneath where your lawn was laid. Lawn weedkiller is too fast to be
fully effective in a single shot but it will help check them back.

Whatever you do don't allow the brambles to grow unmolested. Hit them
alternate weeks with lawn weedkiller or lawnmower until dead. Spot
weeding may be more effective if the brambles are localised.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 20-07-2005, 04:51 PM
flower faerie

PDES wrote:
have any ideas as to how to eradicate the brambles without destroying the
lawn?

On my lawn I let them grow to a couple inches and then painted them
carefully with a SBK and parafin mixture.

Old 20-07-2005, 05:07 PM
PDES

Thanks all. Am I right in assuming that constant cutting will eventually
kill the brambles?

I like the idea of the round-up gell. Will get some at the weekend!

Regards,

David