Old 20-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Martin Sykes

Default Big Pumpkins

If a single fruit is allowed to develop, will it be larger if it is nearer
the base or the tip of the plant? Or doesn't it matter?

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 20-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:11:50 +0100, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

If a single fruit is allowed to develop, will it be larger if it is nearer
the base or the tip of the plant? Or doesn't it matter?

I would think it would be best close to the plant, as nourishment has
a shorter distance to travel. Just cut the stem a short way after the
selected fruit. Maybe you should leave a leaf or two as with tomatoes
and grapes.

Pam in Bristol
Old 20-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Bob Hobden

"Martin Sykes" wrote...
If a single fruit is allowed to develop, will it be larger if it is nearer
the base or the tip of the plant? Or doesn't it matter?

When they grow huge pumpkins (i.e.. The Boot Inn Pumpkin Club) they ensure
the whole plot is watered so the plants put roots down from every node and
so increase their water/nutrient take-up. They also plant the special seeds
about Christmas and grow on in heated polytunnels!
Growing outside you have a problem with the shortness of our season so I
always try to get a fruit set asap, therefore near the base and make sure it
isn't checked by lack of water etc.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 20-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Bob Hobden

"Pam Moore" wrote
"Martin Sykes"
wrote:

If a single fruit is allowed to develop, will it be larger if it is nearer
the base or the tip of the plant? Or doesn't it matter?

I would think it would be best close to the plant, as nourishment has
a shorter distance to travel. Just cut the stem a short way after the
selected fruit. Maybe you should leave a leaf or two as with tomatoes
and grapes.

No don't cut the stems after the fruit, you need as much leaf as possible to
provide nutrients. Leave the plants alone, just remove any other fruit until
your chosen one stops growing.

Old 20-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Martin Sykes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote
"Martin Sykes"
wrote:

If a single fruit is allowed to develop, will it be larger if it is
nearer
the base or the tip of the plant? Or doesn't it matter?

I would think it would be best close to the plant, as nourishment has
a shorter distance to travel. Just cut the stem a short way after the
selected fruit. Maybe you should leave a leaf or two as with tomatoes
and grapes.

No don't cut the stems after the fruit, you need as much leaf as possible
to provide nutrients. Leave the plants alone, just remove any other fruit
until your chosen one stops growing.

--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

OK thanks. I'm hoping for just one really big one to put out for halloween
this year.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 20-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:46:56 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

When they grow huge pumpkins (i.e.. The Boot Inn Pumpkin Club) they ensure
the whole plot is watered so the plants put roots down from every node and
so increase their water/nutrient take-up.

I didn't realise that the plants do that Bob.
I shall look at my pumpkin plants more carefully and try to get them
to root like that. Thanks for the advice. I have always cut mine off,
but I have had reasonable sized fruit anyway!

Pam in Bristol