Old 08-03-2003, 06:09 PM
Sharon Hughes

Default Garden Walls

Hi to all

(have been lurking for a while, love gardening but am very hesitant about
'joining' an internet thing). But what I do need is to hear advice from
people that might identify with my present my present dilemma:

a) Courtyard garden walls circa 1900
b) Very unattractive 'peeling paint/white-wash' stage. Have no idea as to
when last painted/white-washed, 20 years I would hazard a guess?

I would love to stay with original type stone but it's north facing and
quite dreary out there, very grey, tones of black! Quotes currently on the
way for rendering and topping off. Question is: Will rendering etc fall
off soon/later due to high content of 'mud/water retaining' type make of
wall??

Just left a gorgeous little oasis I created in a south facing garden,
current project could be a little more difficult though I do enjoy a
challenge .....hmmm. Shaz

Old 09-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Sharon
Hughes writes

a) Courtyard garden walls circa 1900

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh lucky you

b) Very unattractive 'peeling paint/white-wash' stage. Have no idea as to
when last painted/white-washed, 20 years I would hazard a guess?

I would love to stay with original type stone but it's north facing and
quite dreary out there, very grey, tones of black! Quotes currently on the
way for rendering and topping off. Question is: Will rendering etc fall
off soon/later due to high content of 'mud/water retaining' type make of
wall??

Why anyone ever considered covering up lovely stone, even north facing,
I will never, never understand. I love stone and if I had a walled
garden would sandblast it back to its natural state, point it up and
grow various colourful, scented, fruiting climbers up it . . . .
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ) A north facing wall does get *some* sun, you
know!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,