Old 25-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:45:09 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

And , I doubt they will come true from self sown, I've yet to have a true
purpurescens from a self seeded plant, they all come up green in my garden.
(Even from the one you gave me Sacha) Had one grow from self sown seed in
the front garden that took over a whole corner during last winter and I only
pulled it out this spring. Must have survived some mild frosts but it
flowered consistently. It has seeded as there are now a number of seedlings
appearing.

Last year a neighbour gave me a few seeds from the single plant he
had, after I'd expressed interest. The resulting plants were quite
variable; some had good purple bracts but others were greenish and
rather washed out.

I pulled them up early as they were getting too big and smothering
nearby plants (neighbour's was grown on very poor soil, nearly
subsoil, and had a much more restricted habit, almost prostrate, which
was what I was expecting). Nor did I want them seeding everywhere. Put
them on the compost heap. Now, wherever I have spread the compost, up
come cerinthe seedlings! I just pull them out as I see them.

--
Chris