Old 23-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Klara

Default cerinthe major purpurescens - self-seeding?

Had these in a bed last year and assumed they would self-seed. By June
nothing had happened, so I moved other things into the gaps - and now
the bed is full of cerinthe seedlings, all but one only still at the
two-leaf stage. Surely at this stage they are unlikely to mature - but
then what is the purpose of self-seeding? Or is this a very odd year
indeed? (I have just mown the hay that used to be the lawn...)

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 23-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Kay

In article , Klara
writes

Had these in a bed last year and assumed they would self-seed. By June
nothing had happened, so I moved other things into the gaps - and now
the bed is full of cerinthe seedlings, all but one only still at the
two-leaf stage. Surely at this stage they are unlikely to mature - but
then what is the purpose of self-seeding?

Don't forget they're not british. In the Med, they would want to
germinate at the end of a hot spell when the autumn rains are starting.

--
Kay

Old 23-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Klara

In message , Kay
writes
Had these in a bed last year and assumed they would self-seed. By June
nothing had happened, so I moved other things into the gaps - and now
the bed is full of cerinthe seedlings, all but one only still at the
two-leaf stage. Surely at this stage they are unlikely to mature - but
then what is the purpose of self-seeding?

Don't forget they're not british. In the Med, they would want to
germinate at the end of a hot spell when the autumn rains are starting.

Ah - spot on, then. Thanks - I hadn't thought of that.
Well, maybe they'll manage a bit of a show in autumn. If I remember
right, they were pretty quick once they got started.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 23-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Bob Hobden

"Klara" wrote after Kay
replied
Had these in a bed last year and assumed they would self-seed. By June
nothing had happened, so I moved other things into the gaps - and now
the bed is full of cerinthe seedlings, all but one only still at the
two-leaf stage. Surely at this stage they are unlikely to mature - but
then what is the purpose of self-seeding?

Don't forget they're not british. In the Med, they would want to germinate
at the end of a hot spell when the autumn rains are starting.

Ah - spot on, then. Thanks - I hadn't thought of that.
Well, maybe they'll manage a bit of a show in autumn. If I remember right,
they were pretty quick once they got started.

And , I doubt they will come true from self sown, I've yet to have a true
purpurescens from a self seeded plant, they all come up green in my garden.
(Even from the one you gave me Sacha) Had one grow from self sown seed in
the front garden that took over a whole corner during last winter and I only
pulled it out this spring. Must have survived some mild frosts but it
flowered consistently. It has seeded as there are now a number of seedlings
appearing.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 24-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:45:09 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Klara" wrote after Kay
replied
[...]

Am i right in thinking that they go bluer if in full sun? I have a few
plants also from Sacha's seed (thanks Sacha) and they are not
particularly "purpurascens" but are in part shade. Might be worth an
experiment!

Pam in Bristol

Old 24-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Klara

"Bob Hobden":
And , I doubt they will come true from self sown, I've yet to have a true
purpurescens from a self seeded plant, they all come up green in my garden.
(Even from the one you gave me Sacha) Had one grow from self sown seed in
the front garden that took over a whole corner during last winter and I only
pulled it out this spring. Must have survived some mild frosts but it
flowered consistently. It has seeded as there are now a number of seedlings
appearing.

Am i right in thinking that they go bluer if in full sun? I have a few
plants also from Sacha's seed (thanks Sacha) and they are not
particularly "purpurascens" but are in part shade. Might be worth an
experiment!

Pam in Bristol

And these were so beautiful last year :-((
Still, they are in full sun (a rare commodity in our garden), so if your
theory is right, Pam ...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 24-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Totty

Pam Moore wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:45:09 +0100, "Bob Hobden"

Am i right in thinking that they go bluer if in full sun? I have a few
plants also from Sacha's seed (thanks Sacha) and they are not
particularly "purpurascens" but are in part shade. Might be worth an
experiment!

Not sure that you are right, Pam. Mine have had full sun for months and
still show no sign of "blueing". Flowers are still cream and pink and
the leaves and bracts although glaucus, I would still class as green. A
Tradescantia nearby, however, is as purple as I could wish.

--
Jo in parched Alicante Province

Old 24-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message .com
from "Totty" contains these words:

.. Mine have had full sun for months and
still show no sign of "blueing". Flowers are still cream and pink and
the leaves and bracts although glaucus, I would still class as green.

Eh? afaik my cmp doesn't ever have cream and pink flowers, are you
sure you have the right plant?

Janet.
Old 24-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Totty

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message .com
from "Totty" contains these words:

. Mine have had full sun for months and
still show no sign of "blueing". Flowers are still cream and pink and
the leaves and bracts although glaucus, I would still class as green.

Eh? afaik my cmp doesn't ever have cream and pink flowers, are you
sure you have the right plant?

Well the packet says Cerinthe major "Purpurascens", so I take it on
faith that the contents were as stated. Having Googled for images, I
would say that the flowers on my plants are a rather washed out version
of those of Cerinthe major. I'm off to Switzerland for three weeks on
Tuesday, so I'm hoping that by the time I return, they may have matured
into blueness.

--
Jo
Alicante

Old 24-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message .com
from "Totty" contains these words:

Sacha wrote:
On 24/7/05 15:58, in article
, "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message .com
from "Totty" contains these words:

. Mine have had full sun for months and
still show no sign of "blueing". Flowers are still cream and pink and
the leaves and bracts although glaucus, I would still class as green.

Eh? afaik my cmp doesn't ever have cream and pink flowers, are you
sure you have the right plant?

Janet.

Doesn't that sound more like a comfrey?
--

http://tinyurl.com/ds22f
Photo taken ten minutes ago. Your opinion please. Comfrey or cerinthe?

Not comfrey. The leaves' shape look like cerinthe, (though not as
glaucous as m-ps leaves) but the flowers look nothing like m-p's. I
think it must be another kind of cerinthe though can't spot a lookalike
in google-images.

Janet

Janet

Old 25-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Totty

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message .com
from "Totty" contains these words:

Sacha wrote:
On 24/7/05 15:58, in article
, "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message .com
from "Totty" contains these words:

. Mine have had full sun for months and
still show no sign of "blueing". Flowers are still cream and pink and
the leaves and bracts although glaucus, I would still class as green.

Eh? afaik my cmp doesn't ever have cream and pink flowers, are you
sure you have the right plant?

Janet.

Doesn't that sound more like a comfrey?
--

http://tinyurl.com/ds22f
Photo taken ten minutes ago. Your opinion please. Comfrey or cerinthe?

Not comfrey. The leaves' shape look like cerinthe, (though not as
glaucous as m-ps leaves) but the flowers look nothing like m-p's. I
think it must be another kind of cerinthe though can't spot a lookalike
in google-images.

Janet, I have just searched URG messages for my first posting on
cerinthe major purpurascens at the beginning of the month. I mentioned
then that the seeds were a freeby with Gardens Monthly. Another poster
in Denmark remarked that she also had the seeds from the magazine, but
that hers had grown the blue bracts and flowers, so I assume that the
seeds were labelled correctly. Maybe it is something to do with the
growing conditions, or too much sun, that has caused the "bleaching" of
the flower colours. Hopefully they will self-seed in time for the
Autumn rains (if they arrive) and next years plants will have longer to
reach maturity before the sun gets too strong.

--
Jo
Alicante

Old 25-07-2005, 04:22 PM
JennyC

"Totty" wrote in message
ups.com...
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message .com
from "Totty" contains these words:

. Mine have had full sun for months and
still show no sign of "blueing". Flowers are still cream and pink and
the leaves and bracts although glaucus, I would still class as green.

Eh? afaik my cmp doesn't ever have cream and pink flowers, are you
sure you have the right plant?

Well the packet says Cerinthe major "Purpurascens", so I take it on
faith that the contents were as stated. Having Googled for images, I
would say that the flowers on my plants are a rather washed out version
of those of Cerinthe major. I'm off to Switzerland for three weeks on
Tuesday, so I'm hoping that by the time I return, they may have matured
into blueness.
Jo
Alicante

Could be :