Old 14-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Registered User

Default Garden sheds

Morning all,

I have just moved into a new house and the garden shed is in a bad state of disrepair and I currently only being held up by the vegetation that has enveloped it!

Consequently I now need to get a new shed. My problem is that because of the way the garden has been created there is a little paved path leading up to the shed door which cant really be moved, so I need a shed that is approximately 8ft(L) x 6ft(W) with the door on the right hand side of the front of the shed. If it helps, I don't require any windows as I'm intending to cover it up with climbers and similar (I also don't want prying eyes looking in and eyeing up my bike and anything else we store in there).

There are loads of places that sell sheds that are the right size, just that the doors are in the wrong place!

Anyone had a similar problem that they solved?

Cheers

Andy
Old 14-05-2008, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

"andymurphy" wrote in message

[...]

If you can use a hammer and a saw, make your own.

50 mm x 50 mm sawn timber frames clad in 7 mm Shutter Ply.
Covered, sids and roof with roofing felt
Fix Plastic Covered netting to front, back and sides and grow things over
it.

If you want a hand in design, measurements and cutting list give me an
email.

Single handed and simple solution ....... and cheap AND, made to how YOU
want it.

(THIS is my side of gardening :-))

Mike

--
andymurphy

Old 14-05-2008, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

andymurphy wrote:

I have just moved into a new house and the garden shed is in a bad
state of disrepair and I currently only being held up by the vegetation
that has enveloped it!

Consequently I now need to get a new shed. My problem is that because
of the way the garden has been created there is a little paved path
leading up to the shed door which cant really be moved, so I need a
shed that is approximately 8ft(L) x 6ft(W) with the door on the right
hand side of the front of the shed. If it helps, I don't require any
windows as I'm intending to cover it up with climbers and similar (I
also don't want prying eyes looking in and eyeing up my bike and
anything else we store in there).

There are loads of places that sell sheds that are the right size, just
that the doors are in the wrong place!

A 6' X 8' shed is pretty small, a very simple project to build it
yourself. There are plans and kits available:
http://www.leevalley.com/home/Search.aspx?c=2&action=n

Old 16-05-2008, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

andymurphy wrote:

[...]

Don't know what your laws are like but if the building inspectors caught
us without a building permit, there would be a fine and you probably
would have to take down the structure.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Registered User

Location: Cagayan de Oro City

Great job plus excellent photo's. I personally would love to have the time to create such a lovely garden shed, but don't at the moment. Maybe in a few years time i will. For now i took the easy way out and got my garden shed and a carport from isheds here in Australia.
If anyone is time short like me, check out isheds.com.
Keep up the great work.

Cheers
NitaSelvy

Old 04-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Doghouse Riley's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymurphy View Post
[...]

Why not build your own?

I built one out of roofing ply and 3" X 2" softwood over thirty years ago for at the time, our seven-year-old daughter's rabbits. This was taken last year.

It's so much more substantial than those flimsy ones you can get in DIY stores and has only needed the roof re-felting once in all that time.
I included three recycled windows from next door when they had double glazing installed.

I then got a bit carried away and built a summerhouse in the style of a Japanese tea-house, that's now 25 years old.
Nothing "store bought" would have lasted so long.

__________________
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners!
I don't like 'em myself! They're pretty bad.
I grieve over them on long winter evenings."
Old 04-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Registered User

Nice useful read,.
Garden shed looks cool in the last two pictures,.
Shared some more pictures here,.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

[...]

Hi Andy, I agree with others that it wouldn't be difficult to build your own ! My local timber supplier even sells tanalised sheets of ply ? My point is also as a previous shed supplier, any firm that actually make their own sheds will provide you with one with the door where ever you want !
Lannerman.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:58 AM
Registered User

Location: Cagayan de Oro City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse Riley View Post
Why not build your own?

I built one out of roofing ply and 3" X 2" softwood over thirty years ago for at the time, our seven-year-old daughter's rabbits. This was taken last year.

It's so much more substantial than those flimsy ones you can get in DIY stores and has only needed the roof re-felting once in all that time.
I included three recycled windows from next door when they had double glazing installed.

I then got a bit carried away and built a summerhouse in the style of a Japanese tea-house, that's now 25 years old.
Nothing "store bought" would have lasted so long.

Great job plus excellent photo's. I personally would love to have the time to create such a lovely garden shed, but don't at the moment. Maybe in a few years time i will. For now i took the easy way out and got my garden shed and a carport form isheds here in Australia.
If anyone is time short like me, check out isheds.com
Keep up the great work.

Cheers
NitaSelvy

[IMG] code is On

Looking for help in the study of garden sheds ccoath United Kingdom 3 09-02-2005 07:56 AM
Looking for help with garden sheds ccoath Gardening 3 09-02-2005 02:05 AM
Looking for help on garden sheds!!! ccoath United Kingdom 4 08-02-2005 11:13 PM
Garden Sheds alfie United Kingdom 3 16-09-2004 09:58 AM
How do garden sheds fail? Steve Harris United Kingdom 30 04-05-2004 01:06 PM