Old 28-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Steve Harris

Default How do garden sheds fail?

I'm planning to buy a shed and I'm interested in hearing urglers stories
of their first "row" with their shed :-) And what they'd look for in a
replacement?

Moan away - TIA!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 28-04-2004, 12:07 PM
shazzbat

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I'm planning to buy a shed and I'm interested in hearing urglers stories
of their first "row" with their shed :-) And what they'd look for in a
replacement?

You just reminded me of a shed on the allotment of one of my friends uncles
when I was a kid in the fifties. He had been to a demolition site, there
were plenty around then, and bought a whole cartload of doors. He then built
the shed entirely of doors. Sides, roof the lot, everything was doors. They
were all different colours and styles, it was bizarre.

Old 28-04-2004, 01:02 PM
shazzbat

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I'm planning to buy a shed and I'm interested in hearing urglers stories
of their first "row" with their shed :-) And what they'd look for in a
replacement?

Moan away - TIA!

I've put a pic of the type of shed you want here :-

http://ourallotment.mysite.freeserve.com/

misc photos

Steve

Old 28-04-2004, 02:07 PM
martin

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:14:54 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I'm planning to buy a shed and I'm interested in hearing urglers stories
of their first "row" with their shed :-) And what they'd look for in a
replacement?

Moan away - TIA!

I've put a pic of the type of shed you want here :-

http://ourallotment.mysite.freeserve.com/

misc photos

My caption: Desirable rural residence with character UKP300,000
Old 28-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Cerumen

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I'm planning to buy a shed and I'm interested in hearing urglers

stories
of their first "row" with their shed :-) And what they'd look for in a
replacement?

You just reminded me of a shed on the allotment of one of my friends

uncles
when I was a kid in the fifties. He had been to a demolition site, there
were plenty around then, and bought a whole cartload of doors. He then

built
the shed entirely of doors. Sides, roof the lot, everything was doors.

They
were all different colours and styles, it was bizarre.

In a certain uk.rec group that I have been seen in that shed would be a
thing of joy, not at all bizarre.

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 28-04-2004, 02:11 PM
shazzbat

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I'm planning to buy a shed and I'm interested in hearing urglers

stories
of their first "row" with their shed :-) And what they'd look for in a
replacement?

You just reminded me of a shed on the allotment of one of my friends

uncles
when I was a kid in the fifties. He had been to a demolition site, there
were plenty around then, and bought a whole cartload of doors. He then

built
the shed entirely of doors. Sides, roof the lot, everything was doors.

They
were all different colours and styles, it was bizarre.

In a certain uk.rec group that I have been seen in that shed would be a
thing of joy, not at all bizarre.

Hmmm, I think that may be the ng I lurked in for a while. I never put my
head over the parapet when I saw what happened to others :~))

Steve

Old 28-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Mike Lyle

"shazzbat" wrote in message ...
"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I'm planning to buy a shed and I'm interested in hearing urglers stories
of their first "row" with their shed :-) And what they'd look for in a
replacement?

You just reminded me of a shed on the allotment of one of my friends uncles
when I was a kid in the fifties. He had been to a demolition site, there
were plenty around then, and bought a whole cartload of doors. He then built
the shed entirely of doors. Sides, roof the lot, everything was doors. They
were all different colours and styles, it was bizarre.

I lost the corrugated iron and translucent plastic roof off a big
home-made shed in the hurricane of '89: this was because I hadn't made
sure the wind couldn't get in under the edges. The same happened to
the farmer next door, so I only felt 90% stupid. The next one had a
roof covered with aluminium sheet off a dismantled caravan, and I made
_quite_ sure the edges were firmly folded and nailed, even over the
projecting joists at the lower end.

Other requirements, IMO, a it should look nice, in a sheddy sort of
way; it should be bigger than you think necessary; admit lots of light
-- through the roof is most efficient; have a wide doorway; be
reasonably frost-proof; have electric light and a double 13A socket
(wiring for these can be powered from a plug in a spare socket in the
house, but a proper job is better; and the light-switch should be a
waterproof one or a bathroom-type cord one).

A short ramp to the door is better than a step. If there are children
about, it's often possible to add a small lean-to extension on the
sunny side for them to hide in and climb on; and I'd have a lockable
cupboard in the shed for any nasty products -- we once had a
terrifying false alarm.

For my money a blackish sump-oil or tar varnish finish looks better
than the green or orangey style they sell you.

Mike.
Old 28-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Liz

Steve Harris wrote in message
I'm planning to buy a shed and I'm interested in hearing urglers stories
of their first "row" with their shed :-) And what they'd look for in a
replacement?

Moan away - TIA!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

IMXP cheap sheds are just that - the timber is too thin and the roofing felt
is inferior. Roofing felt is nearly always the first thing to go.

If you spend any time in it rather than just storing things, opening windows
are a must. Plus pressure treated bearers, to stop the floor rotting.

Liz

Old 28-04-2004, 08:09 PM
tuin man

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Well, it had once been a chicken coop, and was then a very cheap
shed with a corrugated iron roof standing on a few loose bricks.
That was something like 20 years before we moved in. I tore it
apart with my bare hands, but my wife used gloves.

You did ask ....

Around the first week of employment within certain industrial landscape firm
the boss handed over to me, control a large grass cutter he had been using.
It was very powerful, being 12 horse power or more and with the seat
attachment removed. It had a sliding cutting mechanism more in keeping with
a petrol driven hedge cutters. I can't remember it's name.
I asked for information on how to operate it. He showed me how to start
it... but it was already on. The problem, he then had to concede was how to
get the darn thing to stop.
He the related a story of how the first time he ever used it was at an
agricultural college. Coincidentally at their open day. A variety of
somebodies were looking on as he laboured. Suddenly the machine went a tad
berserk and all he could do was trot along behind it... as it made it's way
to a chicken coop. Then straight through and out the other side. Feathers
all a flying and everything. He was not asked to return.
Then he wished me luck with it and left.

Patrick

Old 28-04-2004, 08:10 PM
the q

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I'm planning to buy a shed and I'm interested in hearing urglers stories
of their first "row" with their shed :-) And what they'd look for in a
replacement?

Moan away - TIA!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

If they are properly put up and secured so they don't blow away. they will
eventually will rot where they meet they supports from the ground , e.g.
concrete, slabs, brick etc
the better quality you but the longer it lasts. also if you keep up the
maintenance they last much longer. My grandfather was a track maintenance
man, his sheds will be still here long after we are all gone... with the
amount of sleeper preservative he coated his sheds with over the years....

The Q

Old 29-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Mike Lyle

"Liz" wrote in message ...
Steve Harris wrote in message
I'm planning to buy a shed and I'm interested in hearing urglers stories
of their first "row" with their shed :-) And what they'd look for in a
replacement?

Moan away - TIA!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

IMXP cheap sheds are just that - the timber is too thin and the roofing felt
is inferior. Roofing felt is nearly always the first thing to go.

If you spend any time in it rather than just storing things, opening windows
are a must. Plus pressure treated bearers, to stop the floor rotting.

Agreed. But a concrete base is best: apart from anything else, rats
like nesting under suspended floors.

Mike.