Crimson Bottlebrush and allergies?

Old 27-10-2008, 09:54 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Crimson Bottlebrush and allergies?

G'day,

does anyone here have any experience with allergic symptons after
working with flourishing Crimson Bottlebrush trees?

I read about symptoms similar to hay fever when sniffing the flowers,
but I am more wondering about a large rash after skin contact with the
tree or its flowers. Is that something that others have experienced?

- Xilander
Old 28-10-2008, 12:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:54:59 -0700 (PDT), Xilander Xinandu wrote:

G'day,

does anyone here have any experience with allergic symptons after
working with flourishing Crimson Bottlebrush trees?

I read about symptoms similar to hay fever when sniffing the flowers,
but I am more wondering about a large rash after skin contact with the
tree or its flowers. Is that something that others have experienced?

Never with a callistemon, but I am allergic to grevilleas, as are hundreds of thousands of people.

Old 16-02-2014, 01:59 PM posted to aus.gardens

Probably pointless to post in a thread this old, but what the heck. I grew up in central California, and there were a lot of crimson bottlebrush trees in my city. The only time in my life that I have ever broken out in a large blistery rash was on two separate occasions when I was exposed to pollen from these trees. On the first occasion, I stood directly under one for 20-30 minutes, waiting for a bus, and on the second occasion, I brushed up against a flower cluster on a short tree that was overgrowing a narrow path. On both occasions, the trees were in full bloom. I think it's the pollen that makes me break out. I found this thread while looking for information on similar plants that I might be allergic to, since I moved to a very different growing zone a while ago, and haven't thought to look before. I don't know if this is helpful, but it can be a relief to know that you're not the only person with that kind of reaction.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

Yes, I have an allergy to Bottlebrush Trees, I have only just discovered this and I am quite shocked about this as I have been blaming my raised very red itchy, inflamed skin on insect bites as the beginning of hives always start with spots like bites. I put the Bottlebrush to the test by deliberately rubbing a flower against the inside of my forearm to test if there is a reaction and sure enough next morning I had very itchy, red, inflamed hives!

Old 15-05-2015, 04:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:
G'day,

does anyone here have any experience with allergic symptons after
working with flourishing Crimson Bottlebrush trees?

I read about symptoms similar to hay fever when sniffing the flowers,
but I am more wondering about a large rash after skin contact with the
tree or its flowers. Is that something that others have experienced?

- Xilander

Yes, I have an allergy to Bottlebrush Trees, I have only just discovered
this and I am quite shocked about this as I have been blaming my raised
very red itchy, inflamed skin on insect bites as the beginning of hives
always start with spots like bites. I put the Bottlebrush to the test by
deliberately rubbing a flower against the inside of my forearm to test
if there is a reaction and sure enough next morning I had very itchy,
red, inflamed hives!

are youabsolutely sure the plant is infested with some mite or such.?

Old 25-05-2015, 09:30 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:
G'day,

does anyone here have any experience with allergic symptons after
working with flourishing Crimson Bottlebrush trees?

I read about symptoms similar to hay fever when sniffing the
flowers, but I am more wondering about a large rash after skin
contact with the tree or its flowers. Is that something that
others have experienced?

- Xilander

Yes, I have an allergy to Bottlebrush Trees, I have only just
discovered this and I am quite shocked about this as I have been
blaming my raised very red itchy, inflamed skin on insect bites as
the beginning of hives always start with spots like bites. I put the
Bottlebrush to the test by deliberately rubbing a flower against the
inside of my forearm to test if there is a reaction and sure enough
next morning I had very itchy, red, inflamed hives!

You send three replies within five minutes to a post that's seven
years old?

Still on a server after 7 years wow...

Usenet as it's supposed to be - not the version Google is pre-empting,
removing the technology hurdle of finding a server and setting up an account
and packaging for the hoi polloi.

Google have your usenet, email, phone and/or tablet operating system (?),
youtube uploads, web search history and geographical search history. How do
you quantify a soul? When is TMI actually TMI?
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old 26-05-2015, 08:12 AM posted to aus.gardens
SG1

wrote:
[...]

I do not use Google in it's various (nepharius) forms. Unfortuately I was
given an iphone4.
Don't use utube and use duckduckgo as my search engine.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tuesday, October 28, 2008 at 7:54:59 AM UTC+10, Xilander Xinandu wrote:
G'day,

does anyone here have any experience with allergic symptons after
working with flourishing Crimson Bottlebrush trees?

I read about symptoms similar to hay fever when sniffing the flowers,
but I am more wondering about a large rash after skin contact with the
tree or its flowers. Is that something that others have experienced?

- Xilander

I have several of this species, and if I work in the garden in that area, or brush past them, I break out in hives, extremely painful and last for up to 10 days. My 2nd last episode was a trial after the 1st reaction cleared up. Sure enough I broke out again, currently recovering.