Old 06-06-2006, 04:02 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Jmichele

Default My Potted Mimosa Tree **Needing advice.....

Hi all

I have a Mimosa tree that I took from a field as a sapling. I had taken
it home and replanted it in a small flower pot. Today it is in a bigger
pot about 15" at the rim and now is a healthy
1 year old about 2 feet tall.

My questions to you are...

When should I expect to see blooms? call me impatient ; )

Will it stay small or go root bound?

Should I repot it, but I would like it too stay small... anyway to keep
it that way?

Prune it maybe? I sometimes like to bring it into my home it is
currently outside enjoying the warm weather and sun. I live in Southern
New Jersey. It is now summer at the moment.

I read on one forum that this one woman had her beautiful small Mimosa
potted for 11 years but no other details were given.

I was just looking for some advice. I love my Mimosa it brings me alot
of joy and beauty.
I would like to keep us both happy for many years to come : )

Thanks in advance.

PS I know for all that are out there that there are some that do not
like Mimosas and I know they can become invasive and neighbors may not
like them etc.
I have checked with neighbors they are fine with it. As for the seed
pods...
I will be pulling them before they hit the ground. So please I know. I
have it all covered.
I just dont want my posted message to be filled with all negative
replys about Mimosa trees.
I know there are Mimosa lovers out there. I'll look forward to your
replys : )

Old 07-06-2006, 03:43 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Bonsai Bubba

I've grown a smal forest planting of mimosa for 15/20 years. I don't expect
blooms unless I allow the growth to exceed the limits of proportion. If you
want blooms allow the branches to grow in spring till they set buds and
bloom, then prune back into shape. Mimosa is a tropical, therefore, a rapid
grower and it will become root bound if not repotted. I repot, in early
spring just when the new leaf buds are forming, pruning to shape, and
removing about 1/3 of the root base every two years.

ups.com...

Old 08-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

I know this is two years later...
We had our gardens professionally landscaped...and yes we added a Mimosa. Now I have four (three volunteers).

1) We planted the Mimosa where she could drop her stuff and it would be hidden in the beds, and
2) We had neighbors come over and ask what the lovely trees were because they wanted some for their place.

Yeah, I let them know they do spread crazily and are on "lists" of invasive species. But we love them...and had them planted by our landscaper.

We are in Central Florida.

Just wanted to say we are another Mimosa lover...and hello. Ours were planted with Loropetelum (Chinese burgundy) and some lirope. They spread to beds with burfordi holly. (They also showed up all over our 1 acre lot, but we limit them to the major beds where they can drop stuff without a problem.

I found this by searching to see if the seed pods were edible. never found that answer.

They do drop fringe...from the lovely pink blooms..and seed pods. They grow rapidly. With those caveats, been a lovely tree for nine years, with no pest problems. We love our Mimosa Trees.
Old 30-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Registered User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Bubba View Post

"Jmichele" wrote in message
[...]

NEW to Forum

I am in zone 8b. Mimosas grow everywhere here. I have a very large one I started from seed about 9-10 yrs ago. I haven't measured this year but the base is prob around 5 inches. I have only seen it flower when it was in the ground. They are considered outdoor trees. I have seen some articles where people attempted to grow them indoors, but haven't read anything on proper development of the tree indoors.

I am leaving it in a huge nursery pot until I complete the tree.

I believe that one of the issues is that I am watering it too much. I'm not sure if that might be one of your issue or not. I also appreciate Bonsai Bubba's advice from above. I am about to work on pruning this afternoon, so will use that advice as well.

Looking forward to more posting!