Old 19-10-2014, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default oh i've missed this

planting...

put in the garlic today and that meant doing
some digging. i'll know later or tomorrow if
my hand was able to take it, but so far it
isn't complaining.

not the best place to put garlic, but that
garden spot will have to do. it is the next
rotation. i'm planting about half the garlic
i planted last year, we are not going to grow
tomatoes next year and so i won't need a lot
of garlic for salsa. 60 bulbs should be
plenty.

this was the first time i had broken up some
of the larger bulbs so i could see how the clove
sizes were. pretty nice crop. tomorrow i'm
going to be doing some cooking i'll be getting
into those cloves. watch out vampires...

songbird
Old 20-10-2014, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
planting...

put in the garlic today and that meant doing
some digging. i'll know later or tomorrow if
my hand was able to take it, but so far it
isn't complaining.

not the best place to put garlic, but that
garden spot will have to do. it is the next
rotation. i'm planting about half the garlic
i planted last year, we are not going to grow
tomatoes next year and so i won't need a lot
of garlic for salsa. 60 bulbs should be
plenty.

this was the first time i had broken up some
of the larger bulbs so i could see how the clove
sizes were. pretty nice crop. tomorrow i'm
going to be doing some cooking i'll be getting
into those cloves. watch out vampires...

songbird

My garlic has been in the ground about 3 weeks , I have around a hundred
plants up now . Average first frost is a couple of weeks from now ... but
could happen tomorrow night . I'm eager , this is the first time I've grown
garlic . My hands and shoulders are achy today , but that's from swinging a
9 pound splitting maul ... over 3 cords and still cuttin' .
--
Snag

Old 20-10-2014, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
My garlic has been in the ground about 3 weeks , I have around a hundred
plants up now . Average first frost is a couple of weeks from now ... but
could happen tomorrow night . I'm eager , this is the first time I've grown
garlic .

i've planted garlic in August and it's done
fine here, but it is a garlic that has been in
this area for at least 80 years. this is a
little late for me but i wanted to give my
hand as long as possible a chance to heal up
since my last reinjury before testing it
again. a little sore today, but nothing too
bad.

at least now i have gotten most of the
random garlic from the many places i had it
around the property before. it was going to
take over... only a few small backup patches
left.

My hands and shoulders are achy today , but that's from swinging a
9 pound splitting maul ... over 3 cords and still cuttin' .

when i lived up north they called it making
wood.

songbird
Old 21-10-2014, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Monday, October 20, 2014 12:14:00 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:

[...]

Yep, and that old adage about your firewood warming you twice is very real.
Old 22-10-2014, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

And the reason I've been holding off a little until it cools off some .
90° and 90% aren't real conducive to swingin' 9 pounds of maul and dragging
100 lb rounds out of the woods . Add in the ticks and chiggers and it's way
less than pleasant to cut wood in summer here . But now I have a basic stock
pile , I can do most of my "makin' wood" in the winter . If this works out
right I'll be using what I've already got cut this winter while cutting for
next .
I drug a lawn tractor home yesterday old JD model 317 that's going to
make a lot of things easier , once I get it running ... but for 25 bucks I
couldn't pass it up . I figger it'll be around 3-400 in parts to get it back
in top shape , but it'll be equal to or better than units that sell new for
a couple of thousand dollars .
--
Snag