Old 19-02-2016, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Here comes Spring !

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 19:48:06 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

And I've already started some tomatoes and peppers . Got 18 cells of
'maters that have come up already , nothing from the peppers yet .

I'm not so sure about spring since we had snow here at the beginning
of the week. Finally go to the store to get some onion seeds
yesterday and put 144 seeds into the starter trays. If it doesn't
snow again next week I will start a few other things.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 19-02-2016, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

And I've already started some tomatoes and peppers . Got 18 cells of
'maters that have come up already , nothing from the peppers yet .

I'm not so sure about spring since we had snow here at the beginning
of the week. Finally go to the store to get some onion seeds
yesterday and put 144 seeds into the starter trays. If it doesn't
snow again next week I will start a few other things.

We're getting temps in the 70 to 80F range now. Won't be long until we
plant, at least something. Will probably go to our favorite nursery on
Monday or Tuesday to get plants like tomatoes, etc.

I pruned the rain branches off the Tennousi pear yesterday, about eight
of them, that if left to grow, would put interior shade in the tree, not
a good thing if you want a decent harvest. Took off the sprouts from the
roots of the Kumquat too, it's a grafted plant with the graft being wild
orange, don't need those growing up either. Took a look at the fig but
it doesn't need pruning nor for the blueberries. Blueberries are budding
well as are the other fruit trees, of course the kumquat is an evergreen
and will put on flowers in another month or two. Our small bay tree is
finally getting some good roots into the gumbo clay and is starting to
get taller. Started as a very small rooted branch from our much larger
bay in Louisiana and is now about twelve inches tall. We will harvest a
few leaves along as we need them.
Old 25-02-2016, 01:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Derald wrote:
The Cook wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

And I've already started some tomatoes and peppers . Got 18 cells of
'maters that have come up already , nothing from the peppers yet .

I'm not so sure about spring since we had snow here at the beginning
of the week. Finally go to the store to get some onion seeds
yesterday and put 144 seeds into the starter trays. If it doesn't
snow again next week I will start a few other things.

Down here, we've had a warm winter. It's warm now but in no way
"feels" like spring yet. Weather geeks're calling for rain and another
chilly snap within the next few days. Off of your snow, no doubt;
thanks a bunch.... My onions (Red Creole) are coming along nicely.
Bulbing onion seeds are planted in late fall and transplants (as well as
"sets") go into the garden in December or January. Planted 260+ "Little
Marvel" pea seeds this morning with more planned for RSN. They're hardy
to the temperatures we're likely to get this late and solar gain in the
beds helps, too. Never did get cold enough this year to seriously
damage the fall-planted peas; I'm still picking from them, although,
yield has fallen a bit. Waiting for sure-enough warm weather when I can
get some real peas and some okra into the ground; yummmm.

haha, it is still winter up here. went from relatively
nice weather Tues where i was outside with only one long
shirt on (42F and sunny) to snowstorm yesterday. i expected
to wake up today to more blowing snow and more coming down
and the forecast says we may pick up another inch, but the
worst of it is over for now. it went from all brown to
white. which since it is still winter is what it should be.
about a foot of heavy snow is my guess. we'll be doing
some shoveling today. and yes, i'm glad, i hate doing
useless exercise, snow shoveling is good exercise and my
back needs some amount of this sort of work to be happy.

having some good cold weather right now is needed to keep
the trees from budding out and flowering too early.

songbird
Old 25-02-2016, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
Derald wrote:
The Cook wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

The buds on my fruit trees are starting to swell , and you're right , it's
too early . Night before last it snowed here , most of it melted yesterday
and it's headed back up into the 60's later this week . It's sure enough
been a weird winter !

--
Snag

Old 25-02-2016, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 2/25/2016 8:41 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
songbird wrote:
Derald wrote:
The Cook wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

Our fruit trees are putting on buds, some of the spring lilies are
already blooming. We're starting seeds today in the house.

Yesterday the red wiggler worms we ordered came in and were put into
their new home. A little later today I will check to see if the little
buggers are out of their ball and spreading out. We have plenty of both
brown goodies and veggie scraps to keep them happy.

Most of the fall garden is gone and the rest comes out today and will be
turned into worm food or compost.

George