Old 18-04-2004, 10:03 PM
scr

Default Garlic came up beautifully this year

In Vancouver, WA

Never had tops this healthy. Can't wait to pull up the bulbs.

http://users.megapath.net/~gletendre...c/DSC00040.JPG

http://users.megapath.net/~gletendre...c/DSC00039.JPG

-SCR

Old 19-04-2004, 04:03 AM
Steve

Those do look really good! I was looking at mine today. Most are not
yet breaking ground. The snow just left the garlic bed this week. I
can assure you that mine will not ever look as good as yours do this
year.

Steve

Old 19-04-2004, 08:03 AM
scr

Betsy wrote:
wow, what's your secret? Special variety? Special soil?

No secret. I'm fortunate to live in an area (Portland, OR) that has
superb soil, no hard winter and lots of water. The ground doesn't freeze
except for occaisional crust.

My yard is prehistoric Columbia River bed. Not only do I not have rocks;
I don't even have pebbles.

I have generally great success with plants. My tomato plants yield like
crazy.

I use only organic ingredients. I like to think that has lots to do with
the plant health. The primary nitrogen source is fishmeal.

I also generate genuine compost from food scraps and coffee grounds from
StarBucks. My compost takes four years per batch. No trendy tumblers
etc. Ya can't push the decomposition process in my book.

-SCR

Old 19-04-2004, 08:03 AM
scr

Steve wrote:

Those do look really good! I was looking at mine today. Most are not yet
breaking ground. The snow just left the garlic bed this week. I can
assure you that mine will not ever look as good as yours do this year.

Steve

Just broke ground? Do you plant in the Fall?

I've always thought Garlic had to overwinter and be planted in the Fall.

SCR

Old 19-04-2004, 08:04 AM
Anonymous

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:41:59 -0700, scr wrote:

In Vancouver, WA

Never had tops this healthy. Can't wait to pull up the bulbs.

http://users.megapath.net/~gletendre...c/DSC00040.JPG

http://users.megapath.net/~gletendre...c/DSC00039.JPG

-SCR

What variety is this?

Only my Calif. Whites (grocery store bulbs) look anything like these ...
and even there I'd guess yours are about a good week ahead of mine. My
Metechi, Leningrad and Ajo Rojo are only about 1/3 of the size you are
showing. Are you -sure- you didn't take this picture last summer? ;-)

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)

Old 19-04-2004, 08:04 AM
scr

Anonymous wrote:

What variety is this?

Unfortunately, I didn't record the name of the varieties. I just bought
(3) different kinds of hardnecks from Portland Nursery last October,
broke them up and planted them with a generous dose of 4 year-old
compost, plus (4)fish-meal, (1)rock-phosphate, (1)kelp-meal,
(1)cottonseed-meal, (1)Dolomite-Lime.

Only my Calif. Whites (grocery store bulbs) look anything like these ...
and even there I'd guess yours are about a good week ahead of mine. My
Metechi, Leningrad and Ajo Rojo are only about 1/3 of the size you are
showing. Are you -sure- you didn't take this picture last summer? ;-)

Bill

What?! No fraud, buddy. I took those shots yesterday.

-SCR

Old 19-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Ann

Steve expounded:

Those do look really good! I was looking at mine today. Most are not
yet breaking ground. The snow just left the garlic bed this week. I
can assure you that mine will not ever look as good as yours do this
year.

Mine didn't do so well yet either, I'm wondering if I lost more than I
usually do. It's early yet, I may get more than I think I will. I
usually have pretty good luck with it.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 19-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Steve

It was planted last fall. The ground has been frozen until recently.

Steve

Old 19-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Janice

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:01:09 -0700, scr wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

What variety is this?

Looks like Elephant garlic to me.

Janice

Old 20-04-2004, 02:05 AM
SCR

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:46:27 -0600, Janice
wrote:

Nope. I have no use for Elephant Garlic. It's for those that equate
size with taste.

scr

Old 20-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Anonymous

wrote:

Nope. I have no use for Elephant Garlic. It's for those that equate size
with taste.

scr

Or like raw garlic in salads.

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)
Uptimes below for the machines that created / host these sites.
17:57:00 up 6 days, 1:41, 4 users, load average: 0.12, 0.17, 0.16
17:52:00 up 106 days, 21:04, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Old 21-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Gary Woods

Anonymous wrote:

Or like raw garlic in salads.

You can't use regular garlic raw in salads?

Yours in bad breath,

Old 21-04-2004, 12:06 AM
SCR

wrote:

Nope. I have no use for Elephant Garlic. It's for those that equate size
with taste.

scr

Or like raw garlic in salads.

Huh? Why do you think I put so much effort into growing my own?

I crush it raw into olive oil, add sesame oil, crushed white pepper,
squeeze real lemon slice....let it steep....and then pour it over a
salad.

Man....MMMMMMM.

Sometimes I do strain out the pulp of the garlic to lesten the garlic
breath but that's only if the salad is "To Go".

scr

Old 21-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Dwight Sipler

Nope. I have no use for Elephant Garlic. It's for those that equate size
with taste...

Try porcelain. It's a large head with good flavor.

Leave garlic in the ground for next year?? Jeßus[_2_] Australia 8 11-12-2013 01:00 AM
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
FS: Antique Rocking Chair - Rare & Beautifully Restored Ebay Auction Australia 0 16-11-2005 08:07 AM
Garlic came up beautifully this year scr Gardening 15 21-04-2004 02:02 PM
Cats moved out & the birds came back eddy United Kingdom 8 17-05-2003 02:20 AM