Old 19-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Tom Engel

Default Weeds Between Roses

I will be pruning about 80 roses shortly - some of which have perennial
weeds at their base which are hard to get to. My best shot is to get at
the weeds just after I have pruned them. What can I use on the weeds
that will not harm the roses or the rose roots. My garden is chemical
free so I don't mind using a small amount of chemicals for this
particular task. Thanks in advance. Randy

Old 19-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Shadow

--

If it were me, I'd stay away from any chemicals at all. Pull up the weeds,
getting as much of the root as possible, then mulch well. I use layers of

--
Shadow
Made In Canada, eh.

Old 20-03-2003, 04:32 AM
B & J

Here's another thought, Tom, that's not as laborious as using a paintbrush when applying Roundup. Get a gallon plastic milk jug. Cut out the bottom and place the jug over the weed you want to kill. Stick the nozzle of the sprayer containing Roundup through the top and spray. You don't have to worry about spray drift.
John

"Derryl Killan" wrote in message . ca...
Hi Tom use Roundup with a paintbrush to apply it to the leaves of the weeds. Do this on a warm day and the weeds should be gone in 10 days.

Derryl

Old 20-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Julia Green

"B & J" wrote in message
Here's another thought, Tom, that's not as laborious as using a paintbrush
when applying Roundup. Get a gallon plastic milk jug. Cut out the bottom and
place the jug over the weed you want to kill. Stick the nozzle of the
sprayer containing Roundup through the top and spray. You don't have to
worry about spray drift.
John

"Derryl Killan" wrote in message
. ca...
Hi Tom use Roundup with a paintbrush to apply it to the leaves of the weeds.
Do this on a warm day and the weeds should be gone in 10 days.

What am I missing here? Why not just pull the weeds??

Old 20-03-2003, 02:56 PM
J. Farnsworth Wallaby

Hi Tom,

There is a product out called "Amaze"! It kills the broadleaf's, oxalis
and other weed pests in your garden, but does not harm your coveted
roses! It lasts from 4-6 months between applications. Here is there
website. Contact them to find it in your area...

www.greenlightco.com

Alain

Old 20-03-2003, 02:56 PM

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:51:39 GMT, "Derryl Killan"

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C2EE1E.B14083A0

Hi Tom use Roundup with a paintbrush to apply it to the leaves of the =
weeds. Do this on a warm day and the weeds should be gone in 10 days.

Derryl

Is it possible you can configure your Outlood Express to post in text
only so all of the extraneous material you've included with this and
future postings may be excluded?

Perhaps the picture I have of Tom Engel's problem is different, but I
can't quite agree with your suggestion. If the weeds beneath his roses
are so difficult to reach and he can't just pull them up by the roots,
wouldn't it be just as difficult (and potentially more hazerdous) to
attempt paint them with a paintbrush soaked in Round UP?

Reply Address Purposly Altered to eliminate SPAM
Reply by Post Only Please
Old 21-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:51:39 GMT, "Derryl Killan"
wrote:

Hi Tom use Roundup

Roundup destroys the soil biology and turns the process into a
dependency on soil biota destroying chemicals!!! Develop a healthy
soil food web and mulch so that any weeds that survive are easily
pulled. Support the neighborhood economy and hire a youngster to pull
the weeds.....

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson
Old 21-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 06:50:24 -0800, "J. Farnsworth Wallaby"
wrote:

Hi Tom,

There is a product out called "Amaze"! It kills the broadleaf's, oxalis
and other weed pests in your garden, but does not harm your coveted
roses! It lasts from 4-6 months between applications. Here is there
website. Contact them to find it in your area...

www.greenlightco.com

Alain

Great!! nuke the soil with surflan and destroy the biology...NOT!