Old 29-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Registered User

Default Monkey tree

Have around a 15ft monkey tree at side of house. Looking at it now the branches are brown but tips of branches are green. Don't understand why this has happened as haven't done anything to disrupt roots. Noticed great hard lumps of sap out of the trunk really worried and don't know how to treat the tree? It used to look really green and healthy but now it's brown and I'm concerned why it's changed. Any advice on what to do? I'm not an expert on gardening and don't know what to do, came across this web site in the hope of getting some advice. Would like to send a photo of tree but still getting the hang of this web site. Kind regards.
Old 29-05-2016, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/29/2016 7:23 AM, Joey wrote:
Have around a 15ft monkey tree at side of house. Looking at it now the
branches are brown but tips of branches are green. Don't understand why
this has happened as haven't done anything to disrupt roots. Noticed
great hard lumps of sap out of the trunk really worried and don't know
how to treat the tree? It used to look really green and healthy but now
it's brown and I'm concerned why it's changed. Any advice on what to do?
I'm not an expert on gardening and don't know what to do, came across
this web site in the hope of getting some advice. Would like to send a
photo of tree but still getting the hang of this web site. Kind
regards.

No expert on monkey-puzzle trees since they won't grow in my climate but
'great hard lumps of sap' suggest that there are wounds in the trunk and
that suggests insect damage to me (unless you have a neighbour attacking
your tree with an ice pick under cover of darkness). If you are truly
concerned about the tree's survival and place some value on it then a visit
from a real live arborist might be in order.
Old 29-05-2016, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Joey wrote:

Have around a 15ft monkey tree at side of house. Looking at it now the
branches are brown but tips of branches are green. Don't understand why
this has happened as haven't done anything to disrupt roots. Noticed
great hard lumps of sap out of the trunk really worried and don't know
how to treat the tree? It used to look really green and healthy but now
it's brown and I'm concerned why it's changed. Any advice on what to do?
I'm not an expert on gardening and don't know what to do, came across
this web site in the hope of getting some advice. Would like to send a
photo of tree but still getting the hang of this web site.

Difficult to say without a photo, I suggest having an arborist with
knowlege if these trees have a look.
http://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca...-disease.1008/
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Plant-Dis...uzzle-tree.htm
http://www.kew.org/science-conservat...-monkey-puzzle
Old 31-05-2016, 10:21 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGaw View Post
On 5/29/2016 7:23 AM, Joey wrote:
[...]

Thanks for advice,
Think it might be insect damage, will look to get an expert in.
Old 31-05-2016, 10:24 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn1 View Post
Joey wrote:

Have around a 15ft monkey tree at side of house. Looking at it now the
branches are brown but tips of branches are green. Don't understand why
this has happened as haven't done anything to disrupt roots. Noticed
great hard lumps of sap out of the trunk really worried and don't know
how to treat the tree? It used to look really green and healthy but now
it's brown and I'm concerned why it's changed. Any advice on what to do?
I'm not an expert on gardening and don't know what to do, came across
this web site in the hope of getting some advice. Would like to send a
photo of tree but still getting the hang of this web site.

Difficult to say without a photo, I suggest having an arborist with
knowlege if these trees have a look.
monkey puzzle tree disease? | UBC Botanical Garden Forums
Plant Diseases: monkey puzzle tree, monkey puzzle tree, internal decay
Araucaria araucana (monkey puzzle) | Plants & Fungi At Kew
Thanks for help, still can't work out how to post a photo though. Will get an expert in to take a look