Old 01-04-2004, 08:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Swindon, England
Question Monkey Puzzle Tree advice needed

Hello

we are looking to purchase a monkey puzzle tree and do not want to wait years and years to enjoy it. Is it best to start with a 1.5m tree or smaller? How much does it grow per year on average?

We appreciate any help/ advice you can offer!

Thanks

Claire & Tom
Old 07-04-2004, 09:33 AM
JennyC

Default Monkey Puzzle Tree advice needed

"tom@claire" wrote in message
s.com...
Hello

we are looking to purchase a monkey puzzle tree and do not want to wait
years and years to enjoy it. Is it best to start with a 1.5m tree or
smaller? How much does it grow per year on average?

We appreciate any help/ advice you can offer!

Thanks
Claire & Tom

They seem to be slooooooow growers:
http://www.stratsplace.com/gardendia...zzle_tree.html

Jenny :~)

Old 07-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Martin Brown

In message m,
writes

we are looking to purchase a monkey puzzle tree and do not want to wait
years and years to enjoy it. Is it best to start with a 1.5m tree or
smaller? How much does it grow per year on average?

About 20cm/year once established. And continues doing that almost
forever.

We appreciate any help/ advice you can offer!

I have grown them from seed. They progress rather more slowly then.

Watch out for and protect from severe cold weather in the first couple
of years. Otherwise they seem to do pretty well in most parts of the UK.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 07-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Kay Easton

In article , JennyC
writes

"tom@claire" wrote in message
ws.com...
Hello

we are looking to purchase a monkey puzzle tree and do not want to wait
years and years to enjoy it. Is it best to start with a 1.5m tree or
smaller? How much does it grow per year on average?

We appreciate any help/ advice you can offer!

Thanks
Claire & Tom

They seem to be slooooooow growers:
http://www.stratsplace.com/gardendia...zzle_tree.html

No, not particularly slow - ours is growing at least a foot, possibly 18
inches, a year.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-04-2004, 10:34 PM
david taylor

We lived in a Cheshire village on end of which was sandy soil on sandstone
the other clay and marsh.
Two very old monkey puzzles at the clay end-may be around 100years if they
put on a ring of braches per year -were dense , not very tall, and ugly.
The tree at the sandy side was open spaced and very beautiful somewhat like
the related Norfolk Island pine we are trying to nurture.
We have now have a monkey puzzle in Devon which touch wood (ouch!) seems to
have got off to a good start.
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
In message m,
writes

Old 11-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Brian

Monkey Puzzle trees grow quite quickly but need very large gardens and
should be planted when less than 12" high. Expect to pay through the nose!
Our garden centre has one at about 14" in a container at £88!!
They can be grown from seeds, or cuttings from vertical growths~~for your
grandchildren.
I have a dozen at about 70' high and nothing could look more ugly!
Planted 1832 and long ago lost any attractiveness. Branches are now just a
mophead with all lower growth long gone. Seedlings have appeared over the
years but were not noticed till too late to transplant.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Brian
writes
Monkey Puzzle trees grow quite quickly but need very large gardens and
should be planted when less than 12" high. Expect to pay through the nose!
Our garden centre has one at about 14" in a container at £88!!

That is outrageous!
You can get them far cheaper than that.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"tom@claire" wrote in
message s.com...
Hello

we are looking to purchase a monkey puzzle tree and do not want to

wait
years and years to enjoy it. Is it best to start with a 1.5m tree or
smaller? How much does it grow per year on average?

We appreciate any help/ advice you can offer!

If you plant a monkey puzzle tree you will quite soon be overwhelmed
by its expanding ugliness. That is one of the reasons why,
mercifully, there are so few of them around. Surely it is something
only a mother can love.

Franz

Old 12-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

In article , Brian
writes
Monkey Puzzle trees grow quite quickly but need very large gardens and
should be planted when less than 12" high. Expect to pay through the nose!
Our garden centre has one at about 14" in a container at £88!!

That is outrageous!
You can get them far cheaper than that.

I agree it's outrageous, but I've noticed more and more GC's doing the
same; they have a few strategically placed plants with astronomical
prices, and amazingly, they sell like hot cakes.
The plant themselves are not rare, or very large.

I suspect that it's a (highly successful) sales tactic aimed at the
kind of designer-label shoppers who confuse high price with high value.

Janet.

Old 12-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Sacha

Janet Baraclough..11/4/04 5:19

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

In article , Brian
writes
Monkey Puzzle trees grow quite quickly but need very large gardens and
should be planted when less than 12" high. Expect to pay through the nose!
Our garden centre has one at about 14" in a container at £88!!

That is outrageous!
You can get them far cheaper than that.

I agree it's outrageous, but I've noticed more and more GC's doing the
same; they have a few strategically placed plants with astronomical
prices, and amazingly, they sell like hot cakes.
The plant themselves are not rare, or very large.

I suspect that it's a (highly successful) sales tactic aimed at the
kind of designer-label shoppers who confuse high price with high value.

I think that's on a par with the sort of nursery customers who buy anything
if it's in flower. But if they ask for suggestions for a shrub for a
particular spot and what you suggest is perfect but in its dormant phase,
they will reject it. Even showing them pictures and RHS Encyclopedia
descriptions doesn't help. It's a combination of not knowing enough to
plan forward and wanting 'instant gratification'. ;-) Perhaps it's the
same sort of gardener who comes in to buy a tree or shrub because their next
door neighbour has one. If you suggest they buy something different so that
both houses will have something else to enjoy you get a funny "have you got
two heads" sort of look. I'm not blaming them BTW - it's their garden! -
but it seems that fewer people now buy shrubs in the autumn for
forward-planning.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes

I think that's on a par with the sort of nursery customers who buy anything
if it's in flower. But if they ask for suggestions for a shrub for a
particular spot and what you suggest is perfect but in its dormant phase,
they will reject it. Even showing them pictures and RHS Encyclopedia
descriptions doesn't help. It's a combination of not knowing enough to
plan forward and wanting 'instant gratification'. ;-)

There may be a bit of that, but there's also the wanting to see the
thing in the flesh to be sure you're going to like it. If seen things in
books which look good, and which have wonderful descriptions, but I
don't like them at all when I see them in RL.

That means that if I know a plant well, I will buy it in the autumn, or
whenever I see it if it's a thing which isn't so readily available. But
if I'm not sure about it, I want to see it in bloom (or in autumn
colour, or in winter bark, or whatever I'm buying it for) before buying.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 12-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Sacha

Kay Easton12/4/04 2:48

In article , Sacha
writes

[...]

I can see that but often these are people who have been gardening for quite
a long time and are not considering unusual or out of the ordinary plants.
Even Forsythia will 'walk out' of the nursery when they're in flower but not
when they're not. I'm not criticising people for buying only or mainly when
things are in flower but am observing that for many people the lure of
something already blooming is greater than buying it dormant and waiting.
Even with Primulas, some people will buy those in full bloom while others
are aware that buying the ones with buds on means a longer flowering period
once they get it into their own garden.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 12-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Sacha
writes

I can see that but often these are people who have been gardening for quite
a long time and are not considering unusual or out of the ordinary plants.
Even Forsythia will 'walk out' of the nursery when they're in flower but not
when they're not. I'm not criticising people for buying only or mainly when
things are in flower but am observing that for many people the lure of
something already blooming is greater than buying it dormant and waiting.
Even with Primulas, some people will buy those in full bloom while others
are aware that buying the ones with buds on means a longer flowering period
once they get it into their own garden.

But aren't a lot of primulas bought for presents? In which case the
'wow' factor is important.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: