Old 24-07-2003, 12:42 AM
gary

Default calling captin compost

I have a very large compost pile, about 8 feet tall and 16 ft wide. Would
it work to put a piece of pipe under the pile and hook up my air compressor
to it to give the pile air? It is just too large to turn by hand and I am
too cheap to buy a tractor.

Thanks

Gary

Old 24-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Phisherman

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:27:47 -0700, "gary"
wrote:

I have a very large compost pile, about 8 feet tall and 16 ft wide. Would
it work to put a piece of pipe under the pile and hook up my air compressor
to it to give the pile air? It is just too large to turn by hand and I am
too cheap to buy a tractor.

Thanks

Gary

Not sound practical use of an air compressor, but it would work and
wear out your compressor prematurely. Using wire cages of size 4 feet
in diameter helps with aeration, and the cages are fairly cheap and
easy to make from sturdy wire fencing material. A door cut-out is made
at the bottom that fits your shovel. Not too practical to buy a
tractor unless you have a farm.
Old 24-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Phisherman

The Mother-in-law !!!

Old 24-07-2003, 09:02 PM
JNJ

I have a very large compost pile, about 8 feet tall and 16 ft wide. Would
it work to put a piece of pipe under the pile and hook up my air

compressor
to it to give the pile air? It is just too large to turn by hand and I am
too cheap to buy a tractor.

It's time to break that pile up into a smaller, more manageable pile. If
you take it down, assuming you didn't just recently add all that organic
material, you'll likely find some of it is ready to be used -- I'd go ahead
and use that now.

Since turning it by hand is of course quite a job for one person, find a
local boy scout troop that wants to earn some money for the troop and get
them to come down and do the work for you. It might be a little stinky but
it won't be dangerous so if you offer the troop the right amount of money
they'll probably take you up on it. Of course, if you have any teenage kids
you can try to get them to do it too.

James