Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 03-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Shiva
 
Posts: n/a
Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

THAT got your attention, didn't it? G

There is another thread in which our dear friend Judy G. wants to know how
to plant roses in Maryland. You are our Maryland girl, so what do you say?
From everything I have read, and remembering the cold winters I grew up
with there, I told her I think I would bury my bud unions maybe an inch or
two underground. What do you do? Since you are there and are successfully
growing gorgeous roses, you are our expert!

Thanks~~


  #2   Report Post  
Old 04-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Judy Ghirardelli
 
Posts: n/a
Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

Thanks Shiva.

Jane - while she has your attention, another question (other than - where are
you in MD??):

Any suggestions where I can find my last 3 roses? I've gotten 2 at Homestead
Gardens (Carefree Beauty and Jeanne Lajoie), 1 at Behnkes (Princess Marianna),
and I will soon by 8 more at Behnke's (3 Knockouts, Frederic Mistral, Baby
Blanket, Don Juan, Bonica, and Heritage). (I checked - they have them). What
I have left is William Baffin, Hawkeye Belle, and Belinda's Dream. I plan to
also call a place in B'more and another west of Columbia (the names escape me
- maybe Valley View Farm and Sunset Hills or something)? Are there other good
nurseries you'd suggest for less than common roses like the above? If not,
I'll mail order, but I'd rather get potted roses locally if possible.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Judy

Shiva wrote:

THAT got your attention, didn't it? G

There is another thread in which our dear friend Judy G. wants to know how
to plant roses in Maryland. You are our Maryland girl, so what do you say?
From everything I have read, and remembering the cold winters I grew up
with there, I told her I think I would bury my bud unions maybe an inch or
two underground. What do you do? Since you are there and are successfully
growing gorgeous roses, you are our expert!

Thanks~~


  #3   Report Post  
Old 04-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Henry
 
Posts: n/a
Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

Judy Ghirardelli wrote:

Any suggestions where I can find my last 3 roses? I've gotten 2 at Homestead
Gardens (Carefree Beauty and Jeanne Lajoie), 1 at Behnkes (Princess Marianna),
and I will soon by 8 more at Behnke's (3 Knockouts, Frederic Mistral, Baby
Blanket, Don Juan, Bonica, and Heritage). (I checked - they have them). What
I have left is William Baffin, Hawkeye Belle, and Belinda's Dream. I plan to
also call a place in B'more and another west of Columbia (the names escape me
- maybe Valley View Farm and Sunset Hills or something)? Are there other good
nurseries you'd suggest for less than common roses like the above? If not,
I'll mail order, but I'd rather get potted roses locally if possible.


I'm not Jane but I also live in Maryland. Homestead and Behnke are
certainly the big ones (although I find Behnke more expensive than most
others). Here are the places we visit (although roses are not
necessarily the big thing at any of them, they all have some):

We like Thanksgiving Farm in Adamstown (southwest of Frederick on Rt. 85
- 1619 Buckeystown Pike, Adamstown, MD 21710 - 301-662-1291). Great
for perennials.

In Virginia is Merrifield Garden Center (two locations on Lee Highway,
in Merrifield and Fairfax - see http://www.merrifieldgardencenter.com/.

Stadler Nursery, which used to be down in Wheaton next to Brookside
Gardens, is now on Rt. 108 just east of Laytonsville, MD. 301-473-9042.

There's another nursery on 108, a little further east. It used to be JH
Burton's or something but it's changed hands now so I don't know what
it's called.

There's a place west of Frederick off of US 40. I'll see if I can dig
up the name.

Finally, there's a place called the Heritage Rosarium (211 Haviland Mill
Rd, Brookville, MD 20833, 301-774-2806, evenings). It's a private
garden but he (Nick Webber) grows quite a few roses and roots cuttings
to sell. He has an open house toward the end of May (usually Memorial
Day weekend) and it is definitely worth a visit. You might give him a
call and see if he has them.

In any case, if you find William Baffin let me know. I've just decided
I want one.

--
Henry


  #4   Report Post  
Old 04-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Jane
 
Posts: n/a
Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

heheeheeeeeee! yes it did! I wasn't here for days and I forgot!
heheheeeee! You're funny!
"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.889c0266a1312f1d2cbc268f98fda9c6 @1049402112.cotse.net...
THAT got your attention, didn't it? G

There is another thread in which our dear friend Judy G. wants to know how
to plant roses in Maryland. You are our Maryland girl, so what do you say?
From everything I have read, and remembering the cold winters I grew up
with there, I told her I think I would bury my bud unions maybe an inch or
two underground. What do you do? Since you are there and are successfully
growing gorgeous roses, you are our expert!

Thanks~~



  #5   Report Post  
Old 04-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Jane
 
Posts: n/a
Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

Hi Judy,
I'm close to Frederick around the opposite end of rte.70. I've been here
about 6 years, transplanted from southwestern PA. Where are you? I'm not
exactly good at planting roses in Maryland myself, having probably murdered
the last 4 by planting them with their bud union an inch above the soil. So
from my mistake I'm learning that as Shiva suggests the bud union should be
around the ground level or a little beneath it.
As for nurseries, I have a few favourite near me but I haven't looked
exclusively for specialty roses. In Jefferson, Stadlers is good, in
Buckeystown there is Thanksgiving Farms, and in Frederick there is Dutch
Plant Farm. There are two more I love but have temporarily forgotten their
names so I'll let you know when I remember. I think one called Morning Glory
is also along rte 70 in Urbana. I've never noticed their roses but I go
there fro healthy shrubery and trees.
Good Luck,
and welcome to Maryland,

Jane

I'm thinking that
"Judy Ghirardelli" wrote in message
...
Thanks Shiva.

Jane - while she has your attention, another question (other than - where

are
you in MD??):

Any suggestions where I can find my last 3 roses? I've gotten 2 at

Homestead
Gardens (Carefree Beauty and Jeanne Lajoie), 1 at Behnkes (Princess

Marianna),
and I will soon by 8 more at Behnke's (3 Knockouts, Frederic Mistral, Baby
Blanket, Don Juan, Bonica, and Heritage). (I checked - they have them).

What
I have left is William Baffin, Hawkeye Belle, and Belinda's Dream. I plan

to
also call a place in B'more and another west of Columbia (the names escape

me
- maybe Valley View Farm and Sunset Hills or something)? Are there other

good
nurseries you'd suggest for less than common roses like the above? If

not,
I'll mail order, but I'd rather get potted roses locally if possible.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Judy

Shiva wrote:

THAT got your attention, didn't it? G

There is another thread in which our dear friend Judy G. wants to know

how
to plant roses in Maryland. You are our Maryland girl, so what do you

say?
From everything I have read, and remembering the cold winters I grew up
with there, I told her I think I would bury my bud unions maybe an inch

or
two underground. What do you do? Since you are there and are

successfully
growing gorgeous roses, you are our expert!

Thanks~~






  #6   Report Post  
Old 04-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Jane
 
Posts: n/a
Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

Hi Henry,
I liked your suggestions about Merrifield garden center. Thank you!
Jane
"Henry" wrote in message
. ..
Judy Ghirardelli wrote:

Any suggestions where I can find my last 3 roses? I've gotten 2 at

Homestead
Gardens (Carefree Beauty and Jeanne Lajoie), 1 at Behnkes (Princess

Marianna),
and I will soon by 8 more at Behnke's (3 Knockouts, Frederic Mistral,

Baby
Blanket, Don Juan, Bonica, and Heritage). (I checked - they have them).

What
I have left is William Baffin, Hawkeye Belle, and Belinda's Dream. I

plan to
also call a place in B'more and another west of Columbia (the names

escape me
- maybe Valley View Farm and Sunset Hills or something)? Are there

other good
nurseries you'd suggest for less than common roses like the above? If

not,
I'll mail order, but I'd rather get potted roses locally if possible.


I'm not Jane but I also live in Maryland. Homestead and Behnke are
certainly the big ones (although I find Behnke more expensive than most
others). Here are the places we visit (although roses are not
necessarily the big thing at any of them, they all have some):

We like Thanksgiving Farm in Adamstown (southwest of Frederick on Rt. 85
- 1619 Buckeystown Pike, Adamstown, MD 21710 - 301-662-1291). Great
for perennials.

In Virginia is Merrifield Garden Center (two locations on Lee Highway,
in Merrifield and Fairfax - see http://www.merrifieldgardencenter.com/.

Stadler Nursery, which used to be down in Wheaton next to Brookside
Gardens, is now on Rt. 108 just east of Laytonsville, MD. 301-473-9042.

There's another nursery on 108, a little further east. It used to be JH
Burton's or something but it's changed hands now so I don't know what
it's called.

There's a place west of Frederick off of US 40. I'll see if I can dig
up the name.

Finally, there's a place called the Heritage Rosarium (211 Haviland Mill
Rd, Brookville, MD 20833, 301-774-2806, evenings). It's a private
garden but he (Nick Webber) grows quite a few roses and roots cuttings
to sell. He has an open house toward the end of May (usually Memorial
Day weekend) and it is definitely worth a visit. You might give him a
call and see if he has them.

In any case, if you find William Baffin let me know. I've just decided
I want one.

--
Henry




  #7   Report Post  
Old 04-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Shiva
 
Posts: n/a
Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

Henry wrote:


I'm not Jane but I also live in Maryland.


Henry, I'm sorry, I don't know how I could have missed that. Must be speed
reading again. Tell me, how do you plant your grafted roses, bud union
above or below the soil?


  #8   Report Post  
Old 05-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Shiva
 
Posts: n/a
Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

Henry Hartley wrote:


I wasn't offended. I'm relatively new to the newsgroup and don't expect
to be well known.


Well, you are a nice addition to the group! I re-read some posts and now
see that you did mention you are in Gaithersburg. I grew up in Baltimore
County and city.


I tend to plant deep. More and more I'm getting
own-root roses which matter less. Also, I'm in a fairly protected spot
and haven't lost any roses to the winter (not to say I haven't lost any,
just not to the cold).


Good to know. Now that you and Jane have both weighed in, I feel better
about my recommendation. I remember MD winters, and they are variable, but
when they are cold they are very, very cold!


The dry, hot summers and the heavy clay soil are
more of a factor for me.



We have high humidity here and high heat. I have to keep up with anti-
fungal spray, but find that lots of water and mulch keep the roses happy in
the summer heat. We also have heavy clay in most places.




As for the size of holes, I'm from the "dig them bigger and deeper"
school. I dig holes that are at least twice (often three times) as deep
as the pot and three or four times as big around.


I would be too if I had the back for it! 2X2 is about the best I can do--
and I noticed that some of my bare roots, because they were so big and
gorgeous this year, were a tad crowded in their holes. But my back wasn't
having any more of the digging. Hope they will do okay.


Our soil is pretty
heavy and needs a lot of amendments (at best). I usually replace half
the native soil with twice as much organic matter (yes, getting all that
back in the hole is a trick).


This is funny. I think I have elevated the property quite a lot with the
soil that I add and the soil I cannot get back into the hole due to
amendments. If I keep it up I'll be on the highest hill in the
neighborhood! I do much the same as you--don't compost, but do buy
amendments and add shredded oak leaves, and mulch with a few inches of bark
every year.


Usually, I dig an entire bed and then
re-dig in that for individual plants. It's the initial digging that's
the back breaker and I once rented a backhoe for a weekend!


There's an idea. Last time I was in my favorite garden center (local, not
Bog Box) I asked if they could rent me a garden lackey. It was no go,
though. G


--
Henry



  #9   Report Post  
Old 07-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Henry
 
Posts: n/a
Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

Shiva wrote:
Henry Hartley wrote:


re-dig in that for individual plants. It's the initial digging that's
the back breaker and I once rented a backhoe for a weekend!


There's an idea. Last time I was in my favorite garden center (local, not
Bog Box) I asked if they could rent me a garden lackey. It was no go,
though. G


Hopefully my wife won't see this. I can just hear her call me her
garden lackey.

Okay. Now for the first round of digital pictures. I've added a page
called "What's In Bloom" to my web site.

http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/

No roses yet, of course. I'll let you know when there are and I'll try
to keep it up to date through the year.

Also, I went up to Pennsylvania yesterday where my parents have some
property. My father has given me permission to take as much space as I
want plant pretty much whatever I want so I've laid out 40 by 50 feet of
clear plastic on the grass to kill and cook it in preparation for doing
some serious digging. Just digging up enough dirt to hold the plastic
down was work. I think I'll run a tiller over it first and then dig. I
have no idea what I'm going to do with all that space but it should be fun.

--
Henry


  #10   Report Post  
Old 07-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Shiva
 
Posts: n/a
Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 23:12:06 -0400, Henry
wrote:




Okay. Now for the first round of digital pictures. I've added a page
called "What's In Bloom" to my web site.

http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/


Lovely child. Nice flowers, too. Do you know the historic
pharmacoepial uses for rue?


I
have no idea what I'm going to do with all that space but it should be fun.


How about a rose garden? You could make rooms.



--
Henry





  #11   Report Post  
Old 07-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Shiva
 
Posts: n/a
Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 15:15:55 GMT, "Jane"
wrote:

heheeheeeeeee! yes it did! I wasn't here for days and I forgot!
heheheeeee!


Jane--did you get more snow? I heard the NY and DC did, and I have my
fingers crossed that you were spared.
  #12   Report Post  
Old 10-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Judy Ghirardelli
 
Posts: n/a
Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

Hi Jane,

Thanks for the information. My local rose expert at the local nursery suggested
burying the bud union just under the soil. I think that's what I will go with.
He also suggested keeping the babies in their 2-gallon pots until May, or even
mid-May, before planting them. This doesn't seem like bad advice, so I plan to
do that (plus it's too dratted WET to plant now anyhow!).

13 purchased, 1 to go. I'm mail ordering William Baffin, Hawkeye Belle, and
Belinda's Dream because I can't find them locally. Of course, I'm now thinking
that one spot I had for one of them isn't the best spot (too close to my dwarf
alberta spruce, which I fear the Rose would Kill)... so now I have to find room
for one more... somewhere... hmmm. Or just not order Belinda's Dream, which is
almost Unthinkable! What a dilemma!

FYI, I live in Columbia.

Thanks again for the info,

Judy

Jane wrote:

Hi Judy,
I'm close to Frederick around the opposite end of rte.70. I've been here
about 6 years, transplanted from southwestern PA. Where are you? I'm not
exactly good at planting roses in Maryland myself, having probably murdered
the last 4 by planting them with their bud union an inch above the soil. So
from my mistake I'm learning that as Shiva suggests the bud union should be
around the ground level or a little beneath it.
As for nurseries, I have a few favourite near me but I haven't looked
exclusively for specialty roses. In Jefferson, Stadlers is good, in
Buckeystown there is Thanksgiving Farms, and in Frederick there is Dutch
Plant Farm. There are two more I love but have temporarily forgotten their
names so I'll let you know when I remember. I think one called Morning Glory
is also along rte 70 in Urbana. I've never noticed their roses but I go
there fro healthy shrubery and trees.
Good Luck,
and welcome to Maryland,

Jane

I'm thinking that
"Judy Ghirardelli" wrote in message
...
Thanks Shiva.

Jane - while she has your attention, another question (other than - where

are
you in MD??):

Any suggestions where I can find my last 3 roses? I've gotten 2 at

Homestead
Gardens (Carefree Beauty and Jeanne Lajoie), 1 at Behnkes (Princess

Marianna),
and I will soon by 8 more at Behnke's (3 Knockouts, Frederic Mistral, Baby
Blanket, Don Juan, Bonica, and Heritage). (I checked - they have them).

What
I have left is William Baffin, Hawkeye Belle, and Belinda's Dream. I plan

to
also call a place in B'more and another west of Columbia (the names escape

me
- maybe Valley View Farm and Sunset Hills or something)? Are there other

good
nurseries you'd suggest for less than common roses like the above? If

not,
I'll mail order, but I'd rather get potted roses locally if possible.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Judy

Shiva wrote:

THAT got your attention, didn't it? G

There is another thread in which our dear friend Judy G. wants to know

how
to plant roses in Maryland. You are our Maryland girl, so what do you

say?
From everything I have read, and remembering the cold winters I grew up
with there, I told her I think I would bury my bud unions maybe an inch

or
two underground. What do you do? Since you are there and are

successfully
growing gorgeous roses, you are our expert!

Thanks~~



  #13   Report Post  
Old 24-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Kate Kaercher
 
Posts: n/a
Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

Henry wrote:
Shiva wrote:

Henry Hartley wrote:



re-dig in that for individual plants. It's the initial digging
that's the back breaker and I once rented a backhoe for a weekend!



There's an idea. Last time I was in my favorite garden center (local,
not Bog Box) I asked if they could rent me a garden lackey. It was no
go, though. G



Hopefully my wife won't see this. I can just hear her call me her
garden lackey.

Okay. Now for the first round of digital pictures. I've added a page
called "What's In Bloom" to my web site.

http://www.dotrose.com/whatsinbloom/

No roses yet, of course. I'll let you know when there are and I'll try
to keep it up to date through the year.

Also, I went up to Pennsylvania yesterday where my parents have some
property. My father has given me permission to take as much space as I
want plant pretty much whatever I want so I've laid out 40 by 50 feet of
clear plastic on the grass to kill and cook it in preparation for doing
some serious digging. Just digging up enough dirt to hold the plastic
down was work. I think I'll run a tiller over it first and then dig. I
have no idea what I'm going to do with all that space but it should be fun.

Henry!

Another thing we have in common! I'm originally from PA. Where in PA
are you from?

  #14   Report Post  
Old 25-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Henry
 
Posts: n/a
Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

Kate Kaercher wrote:
Henry wrote:
Also, I went up to Pennsylvania yesterday where my parents have some
property. My father has given me permission to take as much space as
I want plant pretty much whatever I want so I've laid out 40 by 50
feet of clear plastic on the grass to kill and cook it in preparation
for doing some serious digging. Just digging up enough dirt to hold
the plastic down was work. I think I'll run a tiller over it first
and then dig. I have no idea what I'm going to do with all that space
but it should be fun.

Another thing we have in common! I'm originally from PA. Where in PA
are you from?


Actually, I'm not. I'm from Bethesda. Back in the early 1960s my folks
bought a piece of land in PA (just north of Gettysburg) and we go up
there quite a bit. We call it "the farm" but it's not. It's just land.
We added a pond in the 60s and spent a summer in the 70s building a
cabin (no heat/water/electricity). Over the years we've put in about
5,000 White Pine and Japanese Larch and plant a couple dozen spruce
every few years and we cut our Christmas trees from those. My father
grows fruit trees and bushes and some ornamentals.

The funny thing about what I wrote above was that I went up to put the
plastic down, knowing my dad would be there, planting some new trees and
working. When I got there I found that he also have a 20' x 100' piece
of plastic to lay out to prepare another area. We had both been to
different Lowes stores that morning and bought the same brand/size, etc.
except his was black and mine clear. We're taking bets on which kills
and cooks the grass faster. He's going to be planting berries, I'll be
doing something with roses and perennials and perhaps a Franklinia he
started from seed. Should be fun. My rose wish list is longer than 40'
by 50' will hold but it's a good start.

As for where I live, I'm just off 355 near downtown Gaithersburg. I'm
in an older neighborhood and have lots of large oak trees in the yard.
I really don't have enough sun for most of my roses but I try anyway.
If the trees weren't so big, I might cut some down but I can't bring
myself to do it. I also like sitting in the shade.

--
Henry


  #15   Report Post  
Old 26-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Kate Kaercher
 
Posts: n/a
Default Calling Jane in Maryland!

Henry wrote:


Actually, I'm not. I'm from Bethesda. Back in the early 1960s my folks
bought a piece of land in PA (just north of Gettysburg) and we go up
there quite a bit. We call it "the farm" but it's not. It's just land.
We added a pond in the 60s and spent a summer in the 70s building a
cabin (no heat/water/electricity). Over the years we've put in about
5,000 White Pine and Japanese Larch and plant a couple dozen spruce
every few years and we cut our Christmas trees from those. My father
grows fruit trees and bushes and some ornamentals.


Sounds cool

The funny thing about what I wrote above was that I went up to put the
plastic down, knowing my dad would be there, planting some new trees and
working. When I got there I found that he also have a 20' x 100' piece
of plastic to lay out to prepare another area. We had both been to
different Lowes stores that morning and bought the same brand/size, etc.
except his was black and mine clear. We're taking bets on which kills
and cooks the grass faster. He's going to be planting berries, I'll be
doing something with roses and perennials and perhaps a Franklinia he
started from seed. Should be fun. My rose wish list is longer than 40'
by 50' will hold but it's a good start.


I'm betting on the black plastic. It'll absorb heat more.

As for where I live, I'm just off 355 near downtown Gaithersburg. I'm
in an older neighborhood and have lots of large oak trees in the yard. I
really don't have enough sun for most of my roses but I try anyway. If
the trees weren't so big, I might cut some down but I can't bring myself
to do it. I also like sitting in the shade.

I know that general area. I'm just off the intersection of Quince
Orchard and Darnestown Rd. Near the Kentlands and across from the
Lakelands.



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jane Tomlinson OT Kate Morgan United Kingdom 6 04-09-2007 05:25 PM
Jane finds her garden:brick wall question Jane Lumley United Kingdom 50 05-12-2003 09:34 PM
Jane finds her garden:brick wall question Jane Lumley United Kingdom 0 29-11-2003 07:17 PM
Calling dr solo, Calling dr solo FBCS Ponds 9 11-09-2003 07:09 AM
Magnolia "Jane", is it multi-stemmed? Craig Toth Gardening 2 04-07-2003 02:20 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017