Patching up lawn

Old 07-05-2016, 01:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default Patching up lawn

The two most important things to keep in mind when making suggestions for this project are (a) lazy and (b) cheap. I do not want to spend any more time or money on this than is absolutely necessary. I have plenty of top soil to use. All else will have to come from my slush fund which is limited.

The goal is to keep the mud down - period. Not for a Home & Garden over photo. This part of the yard is used for storing junk and for hiding out when the lovely wife starts swinging her rolling pin.

Size - 800 sq ft. 20 ft on a 5 degree slope x 40 ft.

Soil samples showed pH, P&K are fine. Added nitrogen according to the test a few months ago and watered regularly. Did not see any change.

1/3 gets sun 6-10am and 2-4pm, St Augustine is doing fine

1/3 gets sun 6am-6pm, bad shape, some St Aug, mostly crab grass, dandelions & weeds

1/3 gets sun 6-10am and 2-4pm, under pine trees and has 1/8-1/4 inch of needles with nothing only a few weeds growing.

Any help for a lazy gardener is most appreciated!

Old 07-05-2016, 01:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...
[...]

PS -- My first thought is to break up the top 1/4-inch with rake, spread some kind of perenniel seed, cover it over with top soil. Mash it down and keep it wet until it comes up. How's that sound?

Old 07-05-2016, 01:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

"RonNNN" wrote in message ...
In article , Snuffy-Hub-
says...

[...]

Fescue?

--
RonNNN

Thanks, RonNNN. If I throw down fescue, cover it over and keep it watered -- anything else I need to do besides settle down in the easy chair?

Old 07-05-2016, 04:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 05/06/2016 07:14 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
[...]

If you are lazy and don't want to spend any money, don't do anything.
I have never seen a plot of bare land not soon fill up with vegetation.

I've let my whole yard go wild.

The only problem I had was garlic mustard...but after a good rainfall,
it's simple to pull out roots and all.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

In article , Snuffy-Hub-
says...

"RonNNN" wrote in message ...
In article , Snuffy-Hub-

[...]