First Harvest

Old 30-05-2012, 10:59 AM posted to triangle.gardens
mj

Default First Harvest

Picked my first zucchini yesterday. It was mighty tiny but was
starting to get that dark green color that tells you it is not going
to grow anymore. It happens. There look to be about 5 on that one
plant. The cucumbers have flowers and are starting to run. The peppers
are in their second state of flowering. I have had quite a few from
the first set. ( I started them in the greenhouse in January). How is
everyone else doing?
MJ
Old 31-05-2012, 07:09 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 05/30/2012 05:59 AM, mj wrote:
Picked my first zucchini yesterday.

Wow, your garden is way ahead of ours. The only harvest so far was
sugar snap peas and they are gone.

Our best tomato plants are three feet high, have blossoms and a few tiny
fruits.

The cucumbers have flowers and are starting to run.

A gardening mystery: we planted lots of cucumber and basil seeds. All
were fresh stock from reputable suppliers. The soil is rich, warm, and
moist. Cucumbers and basil were big producers last year. This year
nothing came up. Nothing! Is something below ground eating the
newly-sprouted seeds?

Daniel B. Martin

Old 31-05-2012, 09:15 PM posted to triangle.gardens
mj

On May 31, 2:09*pm, "Daniel B. Martin"
wrote:
On 05/30/2012 05:59 AM, mj wrote: Picked my first zucchini yesterday.

Wow, your garden is way ahead of ours. * The only harvest so far was
sugar snap peas and they are gone.

Our best tomato plants are three feet high, have blossoms and a few tiny
fruits.

The cucumbers have flowers and are starting to run.

A gardening mystery: we planted lots of cucumber and basil seeds. * All
were fresh stock from reputable suppliers. * The soil is rich, warm, and
moist. * *Cucumbers and basil were big producers last year. * This year
nothing came up. * Nothing! * Is something below ground eating the
newly-sprouted seeds?

Daniel B. Martin

Moles? Voles? That is the only thing I can think of that would be
underground. I have had them in the past but they never bothered
anything, including cucumbers. Could have you planted too deep? Have
you tried to replant more seeds?
MJ
Old 31-05-2012, 11:00 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 05/31/2012 04:15 PM, mj wrote:
Moles? Voles? That is the only thing I can think of that
would be underground.

I don't think so; there are no tell-tale humped trails on the surface.

Perhaps the seeds germinated (unseen by me) and the tiny tender shoots
were gobbled by birds... but I didn't see any peck-holes in the earth.

Could have you planted too deep?

Possibly, but no deeper than in past years when we had wonderful large
harvests.

Have you tried to replant more seeds?

No, but we will.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 31-05-2012, 11:21 PM posted to triangle.gardens
mj

On May 31, 6:00*pm, "Daniel B. Martin"
wrote:
On 05/31/2012 04:15 PM, mj wrote: Moles? Voles? That is the only thing I can think of that
would be underground.

I don't think so; there are no tell-tale humped trails on the surface.

Perhaps the seeds germinated (unseen by me) and the tiny tender shoots
were gobbled by birds... but I didn't see any peck-holes in the earth.

Could have you planted too deep?

Possibly, but no deeper than in past years when we had wonderful large
harvests.

Have you tried to replant more seeds?

No, but we will.

Daniel B. Martin

Good Luck and keep posting. No one seems to want to play here anymore!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:29 AM posted to triangle.gardens

On Thu, 31 May 2012 15:21:45 -0700 (PDT), mj
wrote:

Good Luck and keep posting. No one seems to want to play here anymore!

I'm lurking but don't have much to contribute as I didn't do a garden
this year.

I do have some pumpkin vines that self-seeded where we disposed of
last Halloween's pumpkins. Does that count?

Dick

Old 25-06-2012, 12:33 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 05/30/2012 05:59 AM, mj wrote:
Picked my first zucchini yesterday.

We harvested our first zucchini and first eggplant.

In recent years we had ripe tomatoes by now. Not this year -- our best
plants have lots of green fruit but no coloring yet.

It's different every year!

Daniel B. Martin

Old 02-07-2012, 11:11 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 05/30/2012 05:59 AM, mj wrote:
How is everyone else doing?

We harvested our first tomatoes.

Daniel B. Martin