Old 16-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Priscilla McCullough

Default Plant question

Something is going on with my plants.
They have been doing wonderful, blooming and really green.
I have been busy all week at work and have not had time to go out to the
pond except in the evenings and that just to throw some food in for the
gang.
Today I went out and I really have noticed all my plants have like a brown
outline on the leaves, like their burnt? But I haven't put anything in the
water and its been partly cloudy here.
Anybody know whats going on?

--
Priss
http://priss31.tripod.com/SmallPond.html

Old 18-05-2003, 06:56 PM
~ jan

This could be salt burn, either salt in the pond or over fertilizing. If
neither of those fit.... What kind of water do you use to top off your
pond? Treated tap, irrigation, well? Do you practical water change-outs?
~ jan

On Fri, 16 May 2003 06:30:20 -0400, "Priscilla McCullough"
wrote:

Something is going on with my plants.
They have been doing wonderful, blooming and really green.
I have been busy all week at work and have not had time to go out to the
pond except in the evenings and that just to throw some food in for the
gang.
Today I went out and I really have noticed all my plants have like a brown
outline on the leaves, like their burnt? But I haven't put anything in the
water and its been partly cloudy here.
Anybody know whats going on?

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 19-05-2003, 12:04 AM
Priscilla McCullough

I have soft water from a water treatment thingie. Removes all clorine and
stuff.
Don't use salt. I only did one water change and that was last month when I
cleaned the pond out.
Priss

Old 19-05-2003, 12:32 AM
~ jan

On Sun, 18 May 2003 19:06:07 -0400, "Priscilla McCullough"
wrote:

I have soft water from a water treatment thingie. Removes all clorine and
stuff.

What's a water treatment thingie? A water softer machine, or a water
conditioner from a bottle? Some water softer machines use a type of salt to
soften the water and therefore you could have salt in the pond from it. I
know one can't taste salt in water even at 0.2% or higher.... I'm not sure
at what % one finally does taste it. Anyone?

Don't use salt. I only did one water change and that was last month when I
cleaned the pond out.

I think your best bet is to take a sample of the water to the pet store and
have them check for salt, if you don't want to purchase a test kit. Be sure
you write down whatever number they come up with, either % or ppm and
report it here. Now if you had little to no salt coming from the tap and
didn't do any water changes, salts could just build up from evaporation,
that why it is recommended to remove 10-20% of the water every 1-2 weeks
and then refill. Not only does this remove salts, but heavy metals and
nitrates.

The only other thing I can think would be some herbicide has gotten in the
pond (have you used an algaecide, or other medications?) at a level that
affected the plants, but not lethal to the fish. ~ jan

Old 19-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Priscilla McCullough

Yes, its a water softer machine that uses salt. Never thought of it putting
salt in the water. I bought a test kit for ponds that test everything, but
wouldn't you know the salt one is missing out of it and I threw my ticket
away.
I'll have to find that out. I do water changes every month about 20 to 25%.
No algaecides, or medications used.

Old 19-05-2003, 06:09 AM
~ jan

On Sun, 18 May 2003 20:53:51 -0400, "Priscilla McCullough"
wrote:

Yes, its a water softer machine that uses salt. Never thought of it putting
salt in the water. I bought a test kit for ponds that test everything, but
wouldn't you know the salt one is missing out of it and I threw my ticket
away.
I'll have to find that out. I do water changes every month about 20 to 25%.
No algaecides, or medications used.

I think that may be your problem. A water softer that uses salt puts enough
sodium in the water that those with high blood pressure are told not to
drink the water from such. Paging Dr. Greg Young, is that still correct?

Priss, Take a sample with you to the pet store, even if you plan to buy a
salt testing kit and they can tell you right off. Instead of a soak in
miracle grow they might do better getting the salt leach out of the soil
media using distilled water. ~ jan

Old 19-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

wrote:

I think that may be your problem. A water softer that uses salt puts enough
sodium in the water that those with high blood pressure are told not to
drink the water from such. Paging Dr. Greg Young, is that still correct?

~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Not Dr. Young, but I do know that those with high blood
pressure are told to drink hard water not softened. I
was also told not to put softened water in the pond - I
always put the water on by-pass to fill or top off the pond.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 19-05-2003, 05:44 PM
~ jan

On Mon, 19 May 2003 11:45:11 GMT, Bonnie Espenshade
wrote:

Not Dr. Young, but I do know that those with high blood
pressure are told to drink hard water not softened. I
was also told not to put softened water in the pond - I
always put the water on by-pass to fill or top off the pond.

Bonnie, your advice will do. ;o) ~ jan

Old 22-05-2003, 07:56 AM

water softeners put sodium (Na+) ions into the water. and it can be significantly
high enough to cause real problems with GF, so I imagine it can with koi.

The relationship between salt (NaCl) and high blood pressure is complex and just
lowering sodium chloride intake may have no effect at all, or actually worsen blood
pressure. The suggestion is that the balance of total salts is important and
unbalanced (high sodium to potassium, etc.) intake is what can cause problems.

It is the chloride ion that tastes "salty". To increase the saltiness of foods, add
lemon or vinegar. To decrease the saltiness add a pinch of baking soda (which is how
to cut the acid in tomato sauces as well). Ingrid

Old 22-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Jerrispond

water softeners put sodium (Na+) ions into the water. and it can
besignificantly
high enough to cause real problems with GF, so I imagine it can with koi.

I have never heard of anyone putting a water softner on the outside
faucets....it is usually plumbed around them. That would be wasting a lot of
money to soften the outside water, not to mention plants hate it. Jerri

Old 22-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Jerrispond wrote:
water softeners put sodium (Na+) ions into the water. and it can

besignificantly

high enough to cause real problems with GF, so I imagine it can with koi.

I have never heard of anyone putting a water softner on the outside
faucets....it is usually plumbed around them. That would be wasting a lot of
money to soften the outside water, not to mention plants hate it. Jerri

My water softener is located where the well water enters the
house. All water is softened, however, we can bypass the
softener. The problem with this is I often forget to reset
and then take a shower and I'm not able to get any lather
from my soap! If I wash my hair - it looks dull.
Fortunately DH is usually the first to get a shower and he
then resets the bypass! ;-)

Old 22-05-2003, 03:20 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
[...]

Ingrid...I went looking for some information on this because my first
thought was that it was BS. I was shocked to find that what you are saying
is basically true. Water softeners use salt to "soften" the water. The water
passes through the salt mixture which leaches magnesium and potassium (hard)
out of the water, replacing it with Sodium chloride (salt) molecules which
are "softer". Here is a great article describing, in brief, the amounts of
salt that can be transferred...

http://www.extension.umn.edu/water/sodium.html

Old 22-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Pinkpggy

I have never heard of anyone putting a water softner on the outside
faucets....it is usually plumbed around them. That would be wasting a lot of
money to soften the outside water, not to mention plants hate it. Jerri

We don't have our water softener on the outside faucets. They advised against
it, that lots of times soft water is not good for grass or plants.
Old 22-05-2003, 05:20 PM

did you really mean it to sound that way? Ingrid

Old 22-05-2003, 05:56 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
did you really mean it to sound that way? Ingrid

Ingrid...I went looking for some information on this because my first
thought was that it was BS. I was shocked to find that what you are

saying
is basically true.

Not sure what you mean...so let me re-state. When I first read that water
softeners allowed salt into the water, I thought, "That can't be right. That
sounds like an old wives tale." So I decided to look it up...lo and behold
it is true. The water softeners exchange sodium chloride for magnesium
chloride and a few other "hard" minerals. Anyway, I thought I should post a
follow up to your message, backing up the truth, in case there were any
other doubters like myself.

Is that clearer?

BV.