Old 24-03-2005, 08:17 AM
ALS

Default Roses in Normandy

Hi everyone,

I am in Normandy on a farm and have extensive formal
gardens which I have been trying to return to their former glory. I have
about 100 roses in the main gardens and have had some nasty problems with an
employee who sprayed most of the roses with a roundup spray instead of a
rose spray last summer (Yes, it was on purpose). It broke my heart. I have
started replacing them, but my question is, is it enough to remove large
areas of soil and replace with new or do I need to take the entire soil from
all the beds to have healthy growth with new planting? I would appreciate
any experienced rose growers comments.

Thanks
Ann

Old 24-03-2005, 10:06 AM
JimS.

"ALS" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I am in Normandy on a farm and have extensive formal
gardens which I have been trying to return to their former glory. I have
about 100 roses in the main gardens and have had some nasty problems with
an
employee who sprayed most of the roses with a roundup spray instead of a
rose spray last summer (Yes, it was on purpose). It broke my heart. I have
started replacing them, but my question is, is it enough to remove large
areas of soil and replace with new or do I need to take the entire soil
from
all the beds to have healthy growth with new planting? I would appreciate
any experienced rose growers comments.

Thanks
Ann

Ann,
What a horrible stunt to inflict on you and your roses, I"m sure you must
have been really crushed. I hope your rebuilding efforts go smoothly.

My first hunch was that you shouldn't have to replace the soil at all-- I
was pretty sure Roundup doesn't impact the soil, just the vegetation it's
sprayed on. Hopefully the spray in question was just like Roundup. I did a
search on Roundup and I found this:
http://www.pestproducts.com/roundup_herbicide.htm

This link confirms what I suspected-- if the spray WAS just like Roundup,
you'll have killed plants but soil that's OK to replant once you remove the
dead plant. You shouldn't have to replace ANY of the soil, just get rid of
the dead plant.

If there's a bright side at all-- at least you get to choose all new rose
plants?
Good luck with your rebuilding.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 24-03-2005, 10:53 AM
ALS

[...]

Jim,

Thank you for your thoughts. I have had in the last hour a number of emails
and advise and your right, I should be OK with the soil I have.
A gardener in a UK garden group has suggested I look at the David Austin
roses web site. They have a new product - a cocktail of friendly
Bacteria/Fungi - that apparently inoculates the soil against rose replant
disease. Seems worth a try. They also have a great selection of roses for me
to look at buying. They ship to France too.

Yes it was a horrible stunt. This all happened last summer just when the
garden was looking glorious and all of a sudden everything started to go
brown and with in 2 weeks all the roses were dead. Apparently the employee
was wanting to leave and couldn't get unemployment benefits if he left, so
he had to be dismissed. He could have just simply told us this and we would
have happily let him go.

Ann

Old 24-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Tom Line

France has unique labor issues. I couldn't imagine truck drivers blocking
the highway in the U.S.

: was wanting to leave and couldn't get unemployment benefits if he left, so
: he had to be dismissed. He could have just simply told us this and we would
: have happily let him go.
:
: Ann
:
:

--

Tom Line

For Fun And Safety In Firearms Sports visit...
--
http://www.bobtuley.com --

Old 24-03-2005, 02:36 PM
ALS

"Tom Line" wrote in message
France has unique labor issues. I couldn't imagine truck drivers blocking
the highway in the U.S.

mmmm...... I won't get started on that subject.

Old 24-03-2005, 09:03 PM
ALS

"lgb" wrote in message

I've got a few of his early "Chaucer" series. If you can get it to
grow, "The Yeoman" is beyond a doubt his prettiest rose. The blooms are
gorgeous and the foilage is a shiny dark green almost like holly.

Mine never gets over 3' tall, but other than that I've had no trouble.
Just lucky, I guess.

There's a picture on my website at:

http://www.intergate.com/~lard/

Very nice. The Yeoman is quite lovely. Thanks for sharing

Old 30-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Leon Trollski

"ALS" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I am in Normandy on a farm and have extensive formal
gardens which I have been trying to return to their former glory. I have
about 100 roses in the main gardens and have had some nasty problems with

an
employee who sprayed most of the roses with a roundup spray instead of a
rose spray last summer (Yes, it was on purpose). It broke my heart. I have
started replacing them, but my question is, is it enough to remove large
areas of soil and replace with new or do I need to take the entire soil

from
all the beds to have healthy growth with new planting? I would appreciate
any experienced rose growers comments.

Roundup does not persist in soil. But please consider spending a little
money analyzing the soil and container/equipment used in spraying. If there
is 2-4-D then that is a problem.

Shouldn't an insurance claim be considered?

Killing a garden like that is the act of a psycopath, this person needs to
be taken into custody for evaluation.

Old 30-03-2005, 09:45 PM
ALS

"Leon Trollski" wrote in message

Roundup does not persist in soil. But please consider spending a little
money analyzing the soil and container/equipment used in spraying. If

there
is 2-4-D then that is a problem.

Shouldn't an insurance claim be considered?

Killing a garden like that is the act of a psycopath, this person needs to
be taken into custody for evaluation.

Thanks for your Roundup advice. I have brought new spray equipment for the
spraying this year and will do all spraying myself.

I haven't really thought about an insurance claim. Could be worth looking
into. I have considered taking the employee to court for damages though. I
don't know how far I would get with it as the union protection laws in
France are very one sided and always squash the big bad employer when it
comes disputes or gross misconduct.

Ann

Old 31-03-2005, 04:43 AM
Leon Trollski

"ALS" wrote in message

I haven't really thought about an insurance claim. Could be worth looking
into. I have considered taking the employee to court for damages though. I
don't know how far I would get with it as the union protection laws in
France are very one sided and always squash the big bad employer when it
comes disputes or gross misconduct.

Ann

I wasn't thinking lawsuit, but rather a police complaint. 100 roses is a
lot of cashola.

Old 18-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Registered User

Thank you for your thoughts. I accept had in the endure hour a amount of email and admonish and your right, I should be OK with the clay I have. A agriculturalist in a UK garden accumulation has appropriate I attending at the David Austin roses web site. They accept a new artifact - a cocktail of friendly Bacteria/Fungi - that allegedly inoculates the clay adjoin rose replant disease.
Unique Hydroponics