Old 02-06-2006, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
the_constructor

Default Rhubarb ?

My garden isn't big enough for a lawn and a vegetable garden, so I started
to grow potatoes, radish, carrots, onions in pots which the lady at the
local flower shop let me have for free.
Can I grow rhubarb in a pot ..... ?
I have a number of green boxes that I got from the council for recycling,
which would be great if possible.
--
the_constructor

Old 02-06-2006, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

the_constructor wrote:
My garden isn't big enough for a lawn and a vegetable garden, so I started
to grow potatoes, radish, carrots, onions in pots which the lady at the
local flower shop let me have for free.
Can I grow rhubarb in a pot ..... ?
I have a number of green boxes that I got from the council for recycling,
which would be great if possible.

You can grow them in pots but your recycling box will not be deep
enough and perhaps not big enough eventually. You need something twice
that size, if not more, unless you devide them in the autumn. When you
usually plant the devided plants, 4ft spacing is usually required - so
just imagine how big they get. If you can't find a container big
enough, or it's too expensive, I'd use an old compost bag. That would
be perfect.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Someone Here

"the_constructor" wrote in message
My garden isn't big enough for a lawn and a vegetable garden, so I started
to grow potatoes, radish, carrots, onions in pots which the lady at the
local flower shop let me have for free.
Can I grow rhubarb in a pot ..... ?
I have a number of green boxes that I got from the council for recycling,
which would be great if possible.

Short answer - you can grow anything in a pot. If the pot is big enough.

For Rhubarb you want something about 1metre diameter and as deep as you can
get it.IIRC.
It is very hungry so you need a lot of good compost to start it off and
plenty of feeding.

Start with a crown, rather than seeds though.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"the_constructor" wrote in message
My garden isn't big enough for a lawn and a vegetable garden, so I started
to grow potatoes, radish, carrots, onions in pots which the lady at the
local flower shop let me have for free.
Can I grow rhubarb in a pot ..... ?
I have a number of green boxes that I got from the council for recycling,
which would be great if possible.
--
the_constructor

With advent of the Wheelie bin old dustbins, both metal and plastic, seem to
have become the favourite container for Rhubarb in this area.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
the_constructor

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"the_constructor" wrote in message
My garden isn't big enough for a lawn and a vegetable garden, so I
started to grow potatoes, radish, carrots, onions in pots which the lady
at the local flower shop let me have for free.
Can I grow rhubarb in a pot ..... ?
I have a number of green boxes that I got from the council for recycling,
which would be great if possible.
--
the_constructor

With advent of the Wheelie bin old dustbins, both metal and plastic, seem
to have become the favourite container for Rhubarb in this area.

Thanks everyone for the replies
--
the_constructor