Old 27-04-2006, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil

Default Weed'n'feed application disaster!

Seeing all the lawn ween and feed products in the stores, I decided (and it
was a close thing) to buy Evergreen Complete and their Easy distributor (on
wheels) to distribute accurately.

My lawns total around 140 sq m front and back, but I'd used all 200 sqm of
the tub doing around 75% of the lawn. I wish I'd stopped, but it was last
Saturday, with good conditions as per the use recommendations and I couldn't
see how I could be doing anything wrong.

Overnight Saturday, and again on Sunday we had some rain.
On calling Scotts on Monday to complain as I'd had to buy another tub of
granules, they said that it sounded like I'd used double the application
rate of 35g/sq.m.

They said that my lawn may become scorched, which made me most unhappy as
I've tended for it well since it was laid in turfs in my new home last May &
August.

Scotts advised to spike the lawn and then soak it. Spiking it almost
killed me. Soaking it probably cost me £15 on my water meter (we have no
hose-ban here).

Now the lawn is looking badly scorched around some edges and variably
scorched in other areas.

I tried a test application on some polythene, and as far as I am concerned
the issue is the distributor, which has an on-off kick lever, but isn't
flow-rated by speed of walking. I tested my speed before using originally
and had that right, but in the later test it dumps a whole load of granuals
in the second or two it takes to start moving once turned on, or stop it
once you've stopped moving.

I took the spreader back for a refund as suggested by Scotts, but they
weren't wholly helpful beyond that and their advice. They suggested their
next spreader up was better (more reliable). It can't be any less so.
:-(

I'm doing yet more watering and some more forking on worst bits, but am
truly sick of it, and irritated by the whole thing and it's impact.

What should I do to keep the lawn as best as I can? Or will it recover
itself over time?
Will I need to re-seed the worst areas?

Neil

Old 27-04-2006, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

Given time it will recover. To cover a few small brown patches just use
plugs of grass from other parts of the lawn.
Perhaps I am out of touch with the correct way to broadcast fertiliser/seed
but when I used a spreader (cyclone sort) I used half the recommended amount
and spread twice.
It's a much safer way and gives a better distribution.

Old 28-04-2006, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm

"Neil" wrote in message
Seeing all the lawn ween and feed products in the stores, I decided (and
it was a close thing) to buy Evergreen Complete and their Easy distributor
(on wheels) to distribute accurately.

.....snip...

Now the lawn is looking badly scorched around some edges and variably
scorched in other areas.

Can't help you much with the scorching I'm afraid, but I had a similar
problem last year.... I went and bought a £30 sack of Evergreen and applied
it to my lawn last summer ( I have about 800 sq. m) and it did about half of
it. The lawn ended up looking very badly scorched and took ages to recover.
I gave up on treating the rest of it.

It would have cost me about £60 in chemicals to do the whole lot, plus quite
a bit of time.

I got a flyer through the door in late summer for "Green Thumb" lawn care
services and gave them a call. They came around and quoted me £63 a time for
them to do the lawn - a four times a year programme. Feeling somewhat
ashamed with my own results, I took them up on their offer and they applied
their own fertiliser and weedkiller in the autumn, in the winter and once a
month or so ago. I have to say that the reults have been excellent.

My lawn had lots of moss, selfheal and thistles in it last year - this year
it looks excellent, is lush and green and has no moss or weeds at all.

All in all, I'm very impressed indeed.

The way I look at it, the cost of their service is almost the same as I
would pay for the chemicals anyway. I end up paying more than if I was
applying the stuff myself as I would probably only feed and weed twice a
year and they do it 4 times, but the results certainly speak for themselves
and it's one task out of the way.

In case anyone is interested:

www.greenthumb.co.uk

Old 28-04-2006, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Neil" wrote in message
[...]

I guess the results may be like applying too much lime and not watering that
in. It burns the grass back and in some cases the lawn seems to die back but
comes back in a few weeks. I have a handheld spreader myself, fairly cheap
mind, but after mixed results using it I prefer to do everything by hand. I
reckon I get a more controlled result.

rob

Old 28-04-2006, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bookworm

Neil wrote:

I tried a test application on some polythene, and as far as I am concerned
the issue is the distributor, which has an on-off kick lever, but isn't
flow-rated by speed of walking. I tested my speed before using originally
and had that right, but in the later test it dumps a whole load of granuals
in the second or two it takes to start moving once turned on, or stop it
once you've stopped moving.

I took the spreader back for a refund as suggested by Scotts, but they
weren't wholly helpful beyond that and their advice. They suggested their
next spreader up was better (more reliable). It can't be any less so.
:-(

I have some 6 or so bloody useless Lawn Fertilizer Applicators in my
shed. Tried them all. Scotts, Fisons etc etc. Usually end up applying
it by hand. I find they usually do the job OK first time. Then, no
matter how well you clean it, 2nd time, (1 year down the line) it is
U/S.

My hand applied has scorched but is soon recovering in this weather.

Old 28-04-2006, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trefor Jones

&
[...]

I had one of these distributors once . Every time I used it I ended up with
stripes. May I suggest you mark out your lawn into 1 metre wide strips and
then use the tried and tested method used in Matthew 13:3. At least the
discolouration will be irregular!

Old 29-04-2006, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:46:08 +0100, "Neil" wrote:

[...]

so that will be about 2,500 gallons - I see why you used the word
"soaking"
Old 29-04-2006, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil

Scotts advised to spike the lawn and then soak it. Spiking it almost
killed me. Soaking it probably cost me £15 on my water meter (we have no
hose-ban here).

so that will be about 2,500 gallons - I see why you used the word
"soaking"

OK, haven't done the maths, but presumably - and thankfully - I exaggerated
the metered costs!!

Neil

Old 30-04-2006, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
KK

I sympathise, reading the instructions on the packet I see I cannot apply
weed & feed in a drought, or when the grass is wet, or when the soil is dry,
& if it doesnt rain within 2 days I have to water the lawn (and we do have a
hosepipe ban here). In addition I have to mow the lawn 2-3 days before & not
again until 2-3 days afterwards.

A friend of mine believes that the best lawn fertiliser is 3 parts sand & 1
part cement - I know how he feels !

KK

Old 24-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
[...]

I feel sorry for you. Those Scott's applicators and spreaders are worse than useless. I mean you buy a good product then you think okay I'll buy an applicator to do the job properly and it ruins your lawn. If it's any consolation it happened to me and I too contacted Scott's who were only prepared to give me another useless spreader. The plastic nipple on the wheel wears out and the metal parts at the bottom corrode. My answer was to hire a good belted style spreader from a local hire shop which was extremely accurate and never dumped big piles of chemical on stopping or turning as you can switch it off reliably. For large areas of 400m/2 or more I'd use the same hire company's cyclone spreader. The less people that buy Scott's useless products, the better.

Old 24-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Registered User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleakelaman View Post
I feel sorry for you. Those Scott's applicators and spreaders are worse than useless. I mean you buy a good product then you think okay I'll buy an applicator to do the job properly and it ruins your lawn. If it's any consolation it happened to me and I too contacted Scott's who were only prepared to give me another useless spreader. The plastic nipple on the wheel wears out and the metal parts at the bottom corrode. My answer was to hire a good belted style spreader from a local hire shop which was extremely accurate and never dumped big piles of chemical on stopping or turning as you can switch it off reliably. For large areas of 400m/2 or more I'd use the same hire company's cyclone spreader. The less people that buy Scott's useless products, the better.
Over the past 40 years I have always spread lawn fertilizer by hand using bamboo canes to measure a square yards/metres across the lawn getting the feel of how much to spread, eg 1 oz (35 grams). The canes are moved as each row is completed - not as laborious as it sounds.

A handfull is about 2 ounces to give a guide of quantity. I have never had a scorched lawn and used to mix the fertilizer from a recipe given to me by an old golf head greenkeeper. The result was fabulous and only age this year and last has made me buy the mediocre stuff sold in garden centres - at double the price and including selective weed-killer which I have to pay for but do not require. My lawn is 250 square yards.

Bigolob.