pruning first year rhubarb

Old 26-08-2006, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Default pruning first year rhubarb

Well... its 'almost' first year. I bought 2 crows from the garden centre
- there were about 3 stalks on each of the two crowns that were about
12" long. Therefore not sure if this technically first or second year ?

I planted it out in about Feb using lots of manure and bone meal - it
has thrived. Each crown now has about 10-12 thick stalks, with nice
large leaves.

I have read that rhubarb should not be picked in the first year so as to
ensure the roots are strong. However, it really is starting to spread
and looks very healthy. Should I resist the urge to remove some stalks
for the pot, and just allow the leaves and stalks to die back in their
own time ? Or can I pick some... but will this stunt the growth of the
root system ?
Old 27-08-2006, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:
: I planted it out in about Feb using lots of manure and bone meal - it
: has thrived. Each crown now has about 10-12 thick stalks, with nice
: large leaves.
:
: I have read that rhubarb should not be picked in the first year so as to
: ensure the roots are strong. However, it really is starting to spread
: and looks very healthy. Should I resist the urge to remove some stalks
: for the pot, and just allow the leaves and stalks to die back in their
: own time ? Or can I pick some... but will this stunt the growth of the
: root system ?

In theory you shouldn't pick any but in practice, if it's that healthy it
isn't going to miss a few leaves, especially at this time of year

Old 27-08-2006, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"NC" wrote in message ...
Well... its 'almost' first year. I bought 2 crows from the garden centre -
there were about 3 stalks on each of the two crowns that were about 12"
long. Therefore not sure if this technically first or second year ?

I planted it out in about Feb using lots of manure and bone meal - it has
thrived. Each crown now has about 10-12 thick stalks, with nice large
leaves.

I have read that rhubarb should not be picked in the first year so as to
ensure the roots are strong. However, it really is starting to spread and
looks very healthy. Should I resist the urge to remove some stalks for the
pot, and just allow the leaves and stalks to die back in their own time ?
Or can I pick some... but will this stunt the growth of the root system ?

Click the link for more than you ever thought you'd want to know about
rhubarb - it is a Mercan site but very informative :-)

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/

Chris S

Old 27-08-2006, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

NC writes
Well... its 'almost' first year. I bought 2 crows from the garden
centre - there were about 3 stalks on each of the two crowns that were
about 12" long. Therefore not sure if this technically first or second
year ?

I planted it out in about Feb using lots of manure and bone meal - it
has thrived. Each crown now has about 10-12 thick stalks, with nice
large leaves.

I have read that rhubarb should not be picked in the first year so as
to ensure the roots are strong. However, it really is starting to
spread and looks very healthy. Should I resist the urge to remove some
stalks for the pot, and just allow the leaves and stalks to die back in
their own time ? Or can I pick some... but will this stunt the growth
of the root system ?

You should not be picking this late in the season a) because you need to
build up healthy crowns to generate good growth next year b) because
allegedly the oxalic levels in the stems increases later in the year,
and it is not particularly good for you.
--
Kay
Old 27-08-2006, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
: NC writes
[...]
: --
: Kay

but people do, for some reason, and they seem to enjoy it and suffer no bad
effects. Myself, I can think of much better 'fruit' to eat at this time of
year

Old 27-08-2006, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert wrote:
"K" wrote in message
: NC writes

[...]
[...]

I don't think a small quantity would do a healthy body any harm; but it
just isn't very nice when it's gone all green and stringy. I'd stick by
the rule-book and wait: it's worth it. I wouldn't pull more than a
couple of stalks off each plant next year, either.

--
Mike.

Old 27-08-2006, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

I don't think a small quantity would do a healthy body any harm; but it
just isn't very nice when it's gone all green and stringy. I'd stick by
the rule-book and wait: it's worth it. I wouldn't pull more than a
couple of stalks off each plant next year, either.

OK - so do I just leave it to die off itself, or do I need to 'prune' it
later in the year ?
Old 28-08-2006, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The Rhubarb will be fine left to die back on its own. In the Autumn or
spring apply a layer on manure and in spring feed with a nitrogenous
feed. Will come back no problem.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire