Old 20-09-2007, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Perennial lobelia - autumn treatment

http://tinyurl.com/3y7bqe
shows a tubful of Lobelia Fan scarlet that are singing their last
verse. There are four or five plants in the tub, and for a long time
in the spring, I was not sure whether I hadn't by mistake planted
some curious variety of reddish-green lettuce. But since it stopped
raining, the tub has delighted us for two months with a stunning
display of red spikes up to four feet tall.

Being an absolute beginner at this gardening lark, I now wonder
whether anyone could advise me how to maximize the potential for an
equally spectacular performance next year. One of the photos shows
that many of the spikes have new leaf growth, some at the bottom,
some halfway up and some at the very top. Should I cut the spikes
back? How far? Can I save some seeds for sowing next spring? If
leave the tub outside all winter, should I protect it somehow? (I'll
have to leave it out, anyway - no indoor storage here.)

You were all very kind answering my last query about a pot plant, so
I'm hoping for a repeat performance.
--
Noel

Old 20-09-2007, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ildhund" wrote in message
[...]

You appear to have Lobelia cardinalis Queen Victoria
http://tinyurl.com/33vhtb which is a hardy perennial. This site will
help you regarding propagation
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....lia+cardinalis

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 20-09-2007, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

i have attemted to grow lobelia but the snails and slugs destoy theme.
i can't use pellets as they might get in the pond
how did you stop the pests?

Old 20-09-2007, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote ...
"Ildhund" wrote ...
[...]

I don't think so, with our cardinalis all the leaves and stems are dark red
once they grow above the "baby lettuce" stage. Our Lobelia cardinalis or L
"Queen Victoria" has been in our pond as a bog plant for 25+ years and has
survived all that time in situ, winter and summer, sometimes it gets knocked
back in a hard winter but it has survived. They do seed around, especially
in pots of multipurpose compost containing something else!, but they also
produce rooted baby plants on the stems if they bend over and touch the
water. You can also cut off shoots from the stems and place them in water
until they root. By all means save seed but it will take a season or two to
reach flowering size IME.
The spikes will die over winter so can be cut back to a foot or so and the
tops laid over the plants which will give the roots some protection, don't
cover them so you exclude the light as they remain throughout the winter as
"baby lettuce".
In a tub, and I don't know whereabouts you are, they may need some
protection. In my case my pot of self-seeders I saved last year, which have
flowered well, will be brought up to the house wall over winter but I do
live in one of the countries hotter areas.
These plants do like a lot of water at the roots but can be left dryer
during the winter.

There is another similar species called Lobelia siphititica which is blue.

I believe there is another variety called something like "Elmfir" ? ( told
the name by the Head Gardener at Loseley House where I saw it growing) that
is more robust and can take dryer conditions so would be better for the
garden borders but I have yet to see it for sale.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-09-2007, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DB01" wrote
i have attemted to grow lobelia but the snails and slugs destoy theme.
i can't use pellets as they might get in the pond
how did you stop the pests?

Bulk up your plant and there will be too much for the slugs to eat it all.
Ours gets some damage every year but is big enough to grow through it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Registered User

Reduce watering now then cut your potted loelia to ground level after it has flowered. Your compost should be nicely moist but 'under' rather than 'overwet' if you see what I mean.
Over winter in a shed or carport. (Lobelia can be killed off very easily if left too wet).
Then around early late March/April empty pot and divide your plants between other pots adding new compost that will encourage new growth and away you go!
__________________
www.winsfordwalledgarden.com
Large garden-based website. Gardens open daily (April-October). New Gardening forums
Old 21-09-2007, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DB01" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote after
"DB01" wrote
i have attemted to grow lobelia but the snails and slugs destoy theme.
i can't use pellets as they might get in the pond
how did you stop the pests?

Bulk up your plant and there will be too much for the slugs to eat it
all. Ours gets some damage every year but is big enough to grow through
it.

thanx for that

what does "bulk up" mean

Make the clump bigger (by the methods describer earlier).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-09-2007, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

thanx again I'll try that

Eugene
about 20 miles w of London
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"DB01" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote after
"DB01" wrote
i have attemted to grow lobelia but the snails and slugs destoy theme.
i can't use pellets as they might get in the pond
how did you stop the pests?

Bulk up your plant and there will be too much for the slugs to eat it
all. Ours gets some damage every year but is big enough to grow through
it.

thanx for that

what does "bulk up" mean

Make the clump bigger (by the methods describer earlier).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

Nov 11 - Autumn Leaves Autumn Sky_8129.jpg John - Pa. Garden Photos 0 11-11-2007 10:10 PM
Lobelia - cut back? smeric Gardening 2 13-05-2003 10:56 PM
Lobelia Polar Gardening 0 30-04-2003 09:20 PM
lobelia cardinalis: tips to grow? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:14 AM
lobelia cardinalis rotting roots..help! Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 18-04-2003 09:21 AM