Old 13-08-2008, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Eating rhubarb after July

I have heard that rhubarb shouldn't be eaten after July because of
increased oxalic acid content. What happens to the human body if you do
eat rhubarb after this date? How dangerous is it?
--
Chris
Old 13-08-2008, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:06:07 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

I have heard that rhubarb shouldn't be eaten after July because of
increased oxalic acid content. What happens to the human body if you do
eat rhubarb after this date? How dangerous is it?

Erm your kidneys get stones I think. Not pleasant if you have one of
those.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-poison.html

I think there was some in the shops the other day though so perhaps
not.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 13-08-2008, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris ] wrote:

I have heard that rhubarb shouldn't be eaten after July because of
increased oxalic acid content. What happens to the human body if you do
eat rhubarb after this date? How dangerous is it?

I certainly hope it's not dangerous to eat!

My rhubarb has been sprouting prolifically over the last few weeks
(presumably due to all the rainfall we've had) so we've been taking
advantage and eating some almost every night this past week or two!
Old 13-08-2008, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message ]
from Chris ] contains these words:

I have heard that rhubarb shouldn't be eaten after July because of
increased oxalic acid content. What happens to the human body if you do
eat rhubarb after this date? How dangerous is it?

Traditionally, rhubarb isn't pulled after the goosegogs are picked.

AFAIK this has nothing to do with the quality of the rhubarb, but to
give the crown a chance to get some nourishment into it, and so it isn't
expending all its energy (ie, next year's crop) on growing new leaves.

Pulling rhubarb much after that time will weaken the crown, resulting in
weedier stalks in later years.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-08-2008, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

mogga writes
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:06:07 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

I have heard that rhubarb shouldn't be eaten after July because of
increased oxalic acid content. What happens to the human body if you do
eat rhubarb after this date? How dangerous is it?

Erm your kidneys get stones I think. Not pleasant if you have one of
those.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-poison.html

I think there was some in the shops the other day though so perhaps
not.

The theory is that the oxalic acid combines with calcium to make
insoluble calcium oxylate crystals that can cause problems in joints.

But it makes sense not to keep pulling rhubarb in order to allow the
plant to build up strength again for the next season.
--
Kay

Old 14-08-2008, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ], Chris ]
writes
I have heard that rhubarb shouldn't be eaten after July because of
increased oxalic acid content. What happens to the human body if you
do eat rhubarb after this date? How dangerous is it?

I've heard that too. If you leave it untouched after July it make a
heck of a difference to next year's stalks, I find.

In any case, I'm sick of rhubarb by August. :-)
--
Gordon H
Old 14-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
mogga writes

If you want to know more, this gives all you need: http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-poison.html
Old 14-08-2008, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/8/08 14:09, in article ,
"beccabunga" wrote:

snip

If you want to know more, this gives all you need:
http://tinyurl.com/68gsmm

Have just been talking to the man who runs the local picture framers. He
has an allotment near us and says his rhubarb has been devastated by
something he called the 'mint fly'. This is a new one to me but he
described it as fluorescent and about the size of a ladybird. Other than
lethal chemicals, does anyone know of a cure for this problem?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris[_3_] View Post
I have heard that rhubarb shouldn't be eaten after July because of
increased oxalic acid content. What happens to the human body if you do
eat rhubarb after this date? How dangerous is it?
--
Chris
Someone asked me the very same question yesterday - anyone know the answer ??

I think as with all tuberous plants the goodness in the growth travels back to the root at the end of the growing season so the chemicals in the leaves could return via the stems.

Dave