Old 29-11-2009, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Castor Oil Plant

I have a castor oil plant that grew too big for a house plant and so I
put it in the garden 3 years ago. Since then it has flourished even
though I didn't expect it to survive outdoors.

Now it is about 4' high and for the first time has what look like
flowers and seed pods. What do I do now - just wait until the frost
comes or pick the pods/cut them off or protect them. I am at a loss !

You can see a photo on http://www.johngriffiths.co.uk/castor.htm

Any help would be appreciated
--
J.G.
Old 29-11-2009, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-29 13:23:43 +0000, John Griffiths said:

I have a castor oil plant that grew too big for a house plant and so I
put it in the garden 3 years ago. Since then it has flourished even
though I didn't expect it to survive outdoors.

Now it is about 4' high and for the first time has what look like
flowers and seed pods. What do I do now - just wait until the frost
comes or pick the pods/cut them off or protect them. I am at a loss !

You can see a photo on http://www.johngriffiths.co.uk/castor.htm

Any help would be appreciated

I think that's a Fatsia japonica. Look up the two on Google imaging.
Ricinus communis is the castor oil plant and it's very poisonous btw.
It's usually grown as an annual here because it doesn't survive our
winters, which is another reason to think you've got a Fatsia there.
In favourable conditions, they will survive. I'd leave it alone to do
its own thing and throw a bit of horticultural fleece over it if you
expect frosts. But if it's done 3 years in the garden and came through
last year, I doubt you or it have anything to worry about! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-11-2009, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-11-29 13:23:43 +0000, John Griffiths said:

[...]

Thanks for the info - I think it is a Fatsia Japonica as you suggest.
The ricinus doesn't have the same sort of 'cut' leaves and also doesn't
seem to thrive outdoors in cold areas. I hope it isn't a ricinus because
it is, as you say, poisonous - 300 times more poisonous than arsenic!

I read that the fatsia will survive frost although the leaves may
suffer, but as long as the roots are protected it will flourish once the
weather warms up.

It is a really gorgeous plant with the flowers and seed pods so it must
be happy where it is. It is about 4' high x 4' spread.

Thanks again
John

--
J.G.
Old 30-11-2009, 05:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Griffiths" wrote in message
I have a castor oil plant that grew too big for a house plant and so I put
it in the garden 3 years ago. Since then it has flourished even though I
didn't expect it to survive outdoors.

Now it is about 4' high and for the first time has what look like flowers
and seed pods. What do I do now - just wait until the frost comes or pick
the pods/cut them off or protect them. I am at a loss !

You can see a photo on http://www.johngriffiths.co.uk/castor.htm

If it's the castor oil plant that goes by the botanical name of Ricinus
communis, then you should take all the flower heads off before they set seed
as they are highly poisonous.

Old 30-11-2009, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
FarmI ask@itshall be given wrote:
"John Griffiths" wrote in message
I have a castor oil plant that grew too big for a house plant and so I put
it in the garden 3 years ago. Since then it has flourished even though I
didn't expect it to survive outdoors.

Now it is about 4' high and for the first time has what look like flowers
and seed pods. What do I do now - just wait until the frost comes or pick
the pods/cut them off or protect them. I am at a loss !

You can see a photo on http://www.johngriffiths.co.uk/castor.htm

If it's the castor oil plant that goes by the botanical name of Ricinus
communis, then you should take all the flower heads off before they set seed
as they are highly poisonous.

Why? They aren't aggressive. Just don't eat them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 30-11-2009, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-30 09:32:53 +0000, said:

In article ,
FarmI ask@itshall be given wrote:
"John Griffiths" wrote in message
I have a castor oil plant that grew too big for a house plant and so I put
it in the garden 3 years ago. Since then it has flourished even though I
didn't expect it to survive outdoors.

Now it is about 4' high and for the first time has what look like flowers
and seed pods. What do I do now - just wait until the frost comes or pick
the pods/cut them off or protect them. I am at a loss !

You can see a photo on
http://www.johngriffiths.co.uk/castor.htm

If it's the castor oil plant that goes by the botanical name of Ricinus
communis, then you should take all the flower heads off before they set seed
as they are highly poisonous.

Why? They aren't aggressive. Just don't eat them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It's not the Ricinus anyhow, so it's not a worry. Our town council
(and others) were growing Ricinus in ornamental planting. It is highly
poisonous but only if ingested! I would imagine it's one of those
plants that is sufficiently toxic that hand washing after handling it
would be advisable. But one could say that's basic hygiene after
gardening, anyway. I don't think there's be a case of accidental
death from toxic plants in living memory in UK - I seem to recall the
RHS said this a while ago.

Old 30-11-2009, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-11-29 13:23:43 +0000, John Griffiths said:

[...]

You're very welcome and I really, really don't think it's Ricinus.
Everything about it is wrong and what's more coming through 3 winters
makes that even more unlikely.

I read that the fatsia will survive frost although the leaves may
suffer, but as long as the roots are protected it will flourish once
the weather warms up.

That should certainly be the case.

It is a really gorgeous plant with the flowers and seed pods so it must
be happy where it is. It is about 4' high x 4' spread.

Thanks again
John

Sounds very happy and healthy - the leaves are popular with flower
arrangers and it's a strong architectural plant - makes a bold
statement, while the flowers are loved by insects.

Old 30-11-2009, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-11-29 13:23:43 +0000, John Griffiths
said:

I have a castor oil plant that grew too big for a house plant and so I
put it in the garden 3 years ago. Since then it has flourished even
though I didn't expect it to survive outdoors.

Now it is about 4' high and for the first time has what look like
flowers and seed pods. What do I do now - just wait until the frost
comes or pick the pods/cut them off or protect them. I am at a loss !

You can see a photo on http://www.johngriffiths.co.uk/castor.htm

Any help would be appreciated

I think that's a Fatsia japonica.

I agree. I have one and have grown it from seed. It is sometimes called
the "False Castor Oil Plant" in US speak on the web. eg

http://www.letsgogardening.co.uk/PD/FatsiaJaponica.htm

Look up the two on Google imaging.
Ricinus communis is the castor oil plant and it's very poisonous btw.

And the variant most commonly grown is a dark metallic red leafed
cultivar. Greenish ones do exist but are not as handsome. It gets to 6'
and flowers in a single season. All parts of the plant are toxic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil_plant

It's usually grown as an annual here because it doesn't survive our
winters, which is another reason to think you've got a Fatsia there. In
favourable conditions, they will survive. I'd leave it alone to do its
own thing and throw a bit of horticultural fleece over it if you expect
frosts. But if it's done 3 years in the garden and came through last
year, I doubt you or it have anything to worry about! ;-)

I don't do anything to protect my Fatsia and it has lived happily in the
garden in North Yorkshire from the first year as a seedling. Grown to
about a 6' cube after about 15 years in flower now.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 02-12-2009, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-11-29 13:23:43 +0000, John Griffiths
said:

I have a castor oil plant that grew too big for a house plant and
I put it in the garden 3 years ago. Since then it has flourished
even though I didn't expect it to survive outdoors.
Now it is about 4' high and for the first time has what look like
flowers and seed pods. What do I do now - just wait until the frost
comes or pick the pods/cut them off or protect them. I am at a loss !
You can see a photo on http://www.johngriffiths.co.uk/castor.htm
Any help would be appreciated
I think that's a Fatsia japonica. Look up the two on Google
imaging. Ricinus communis is the castor oil plant and it's very
poisonous btw. It's usually grown as an annual here because it
doesn't survive our winters, which is another reason to think you've
got a Fatsia there. In favourable conditions, they will survive.
I'd leave it alone to do own thing and throw a bit of horticultural
[...]

Thank you to all who answered - it seems to be a Fatsia japonica that I
have and is a really impressive plant.
Thanks again.

--
J.G.