Old 31-08-2003, 09:23 AM
m.payne3

Default strawberries

Can any of the members suggest the best way of overwintering my pot grown strawberries. I do not have a green house but do have a largish open sided lean to shed.

regards,
mike.
Old 31-08-2003, 11:42 AM
keith

If i was you i would remove any plant runners from the parent and pot them
up,then store all of your plants in a frost free place.Then next year repot
them in fresh compost & feed, water as normal! I left some out last
year,they have done nothing this year!
i hope this helps?
thanks keith

Old 01-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Sarah Dale

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 09:21:51 +0100, m.payne3 wrote:

Can any of the members suggest the best way of overwintering my pot
grown strawberries. I do not have a green house but do have a
largish open sided lean to shed.

Personally, I don't see why overwintering strawberries in pots should be a
problem - I did so succesfully last winter. I overwintered half a dozen
rooted runners in pots. The pots were all packed into a tray, and were on
a bench adjacent to the garage wall facing south, and came through with no
problems (I'm in N.Wales). I did use plastic pots, and made sure the pots
were well watered when they needed it, and not flooded at others.

HTH,

Sarah
Old 01-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 20:30:15 +0100, "Sarah Dale"
wrote:

Can any of the members suggest the best way of overwintering my pot
grown strawberries. I do not have a green house but do have a
largish open sided lean to shed.

I kept 3 strawberry plants in pots on my allotment last winter. They
are still in those pots. I only had a couple of fruits and the plants
have been sadly neglected, but in spite of little water in recent
weeks, are still OK and I hope to get them planted soon if we get some
rain to soften the soil.
This should give you confidence that they are quite tough plants!

Pam in Bristol

Moving Strawberries Lilac Edible Gardening 1 03-06-2003 05:44 PM
strawberries? H United Kingdom 6 21-02-2003 08:33 PM
Question about strawberries! Claude Gardening 5 06-02-2003 12:48 PM
Indian Strawberries again JLee United Kingdom 3 21-11-2002 02:33 PM
Strawberries? Dwayne United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 02:27 PM