Old 09-12-2002, 10:49 AM
JennyC

Default Killing snail eggs ?

"Jon Green" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:

I was repotting some things recently and found loads of snail eggs
around the edge of the pots, just beneath the surface of the soil.

Seeing that I have so many pots I was wondering whether there are

any
nasty chemicals on the market that I could use to water the pots

with
to kill the buggers before they hatch out next year ??

(This is all assuming that you're talking about the pots you're
removing, as opposed to the ones still holding the plants!)

No - I mean seriously LARGE pots that are full of perennials outside !
Jenny

Old 09-12-2002, 10:51 AM
JennyC

"Jon Green" wrote
"JennyC" wrote:

I was repotting some things recently and found loads of snail

eggs
around the edge of the pots, just beneath the surface of the

soil.
Seeing that I have so many pots I was wondering whether there

are any
nasty chemicals on the market that I could use to water the pots

with
to kill the buggers before they hatch out next year ??

sniped
If you or a friend has a wallpaper stripper with a pressure steam

nozzle
Oh, and there's no nasty chemical residue to get into next year's

veg.
Jon

BTW - I don't grow hardly any veggies !!
My garden is too tiny and everything in pots :~)
Jenny

Old 09-12-2002, 05:35 PM
Charlie Pridham

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
Hi Jenny, I think someone has already mentioned Fertisan, you were

concerned
that you may not get it in Holland, If you can't (and its quite

expensive)
it is only Aluminium sulphate, wildly used in the treatment of

drinking
water, so I would imagine you will have no probs getting it by the

kilo. its
very effective indoors
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for the info - I'm off to the chemist to see if I can get some
!!
A couple more questions:
When should I apply it ?
What sort of concentration should I use ?
And will it work on outside pots too ??
Jenny

You can apply any time.
Someone with Fertisan should be able to give the correct dilution for plants
(its years since I used it) I will look for you if I see some this week.
It works very well out doors when snails and slugs are active but it has
never caught on due to the fact rain renders it ineffective.
I have used it to establish Clematis in hard places with lots of snails, you
can mix it up and use it in a pressure spray to get into all the nooks and
crannies they hide in.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 10-12-2002, 07:09 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message

You can apply any time.
Someone with Fertisan should be able to give the correct dilution for

plants
(its years since I used it) I will look for you if I see some this week.
It works very well out doors when snails and slugs are active but it has
never caught on due to the fact rain renders it ineffective.
I have used it to establish Clematis in hard places with lots of snails,

you
can mix it up and use it in a pressure spray to get into all the nooks and
crannies they hide in.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Had a look today and fertisan gives a rate of 25-50grams per square meter
but as sprinkled crystals, they do not give instructions on the packet for a
drench (but I know they use it in low dilution in drinking water to kill
snails!) Hope you can work out something from that.

Old 11-12-2002, 09:33 AM
Jeffery

Just a passing thought but will Fertisan also kill snails?

--
Best wishes,
Jeffery.

Old 12-12-2002, 06:50 AM
JennyC

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"JennyC" wrote

Fertisan

Had a look today and fertisan gives a rate of 25-50grams per square

meter
but as sprinkled crystals, they do not give instructions on the

packet for a
drench (but I know they use it in low dilution in drinking water to

kill
snails!) Hope you can work out something from that.
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

I've not found any yet Charlie, but I will have more time next
week.....
Now is probably not a good time to water things anyway - it's minus 4
still :~(
I expect spring will be time enough, when the buggers start to hatch!
Jenny

Old 12-12-2002, 11:17 AM
Carol Russell

Just a passing thought but will Fertisan also kill snails?

--
Best wishes,
Jeffery.

Yes

--
Wishing you a Happy Xmas
Arthur

Old 12-12-2002, 03:02 PM
Jim Scott

"Carol Russell" wrote
in :

Just a passing thought but will Fertisan also kill snails?

--
Best wishes,
Jeffery.

Yes

--
Wishing you a Happy Xmas
Arthur

Doesn't ordinary salt work?
--
Jim
-----------------------

Old 12-12-2002, 06:45 PM
JennyC

"Jim Scott" wrote in message
"Carol Russell" wrote
in :

Just a passing thought but will Fertisan also kill snails?

--
Best wishes,
Jeffery.

Yes

--
Wishing you a Happy Xmas
Arthur

Doesn't ordinary salt work?
Jim

Yes, but only when directly applied to the slug/snail.
It's not to good for your plants !!
Jenny