Grass seed germination time ?

Old 23-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Paul

Default Grass seed germination time ?

Hi

My gardening books suggest the best time to sow grass seed is between
the last two weeks of March and the end of April.

I put my grass seed down 8 days ago, the ground is wet but not water
logged, the weather has been rain and sun. However the seeds have not
yet showed any signs of germination. (Location is West Wales).

How long do grass seeds normally take to germinate ?, have I bought a
duff batch of seed ?.

TIA

Paul
Old 23-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Phil L

Paul wrote:
:: Hi
::
:: My gardening books suggest the best time to sow grass seed is
:: between the last two weeks of March and the end of April.
::
:: I put my grass seed down 8 days ago, the ground is wet but not
:: water logged, the weather has been rain and sun. However the seeds
:: have not yet showed any signs of germination. (Location is West
:: Wales).
::
:: How long do grass seeds normally take to germinate ?, have I
:: bought a duff batch of seed ?.
::
I'm not an expert on grass seed but IIRC it has to be kept at a certain
temperature for about 16 days before it will germinate...this is to say, you
have at least 8 more days before germination *provided* the tempratures stay
up - if they drop down too low, the 16 days start from scratch from that
day.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 23-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Rod

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:19:49 +0000, Paul wrote:

Hi

My gardening books suggest the best time to sow grass seed is between
the last two weeks of March and the end of April.

I put my grass seed down 8 days ago, the ground is wet but not water
logged, the weather has been rain and sun. However the seeds have not
yet showed any signs of germination. (Location is West Wales).

How long do grass seeds normally take to germinate ?, have I bought a
duff batch of seed ?.

10 days in good conditions - you need to get your eyes down to ground
level and look against the light, you'll see the little pointed
shoots.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 23-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Derek Dear

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:18:57 +0000, Rod
wrote:

How long do grass seeds normally take to germinate ?, have I bought a
duff batch of seed ?.

sown my last September, first noticed a green mould, then three days later it
was definitely a lawn :-)
--

Computer Club Help Forum now on line
take the link from Local Club Website
Old 23-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:19:49 +0000, Paul wrote:

Hi

My gardening books suggest the best time to sow grass seed is between
the last two weeks of March and the end of April.

I put my grass seed down 8 days ago, the ground is wet but not water
logged, the weather has been rain and sun. However the seeds have not
yet showed any signs of germination. (Location is West Wales).

How long do grass seeds normally take to germinate ?, have I bought a
duff batch of seed ?.

TIA

Paul

It depends on the grass. For lawn seed, Hessayon says 2-3 weeks in
spring, 1-2 weeks in autumn. But I've just had some Stipa pulcherrima
seeds germinate after 18 months!

--
Chris

Old 25-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Paul

=============================================== ==

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

The seeds have just started to germinate, so 10 days it was.
Thanks for all the replies.

Paul

Plants By Mail FAQ Joseph Robinson Gardening 0 28-02-2005 06:28 AM
Plants By Mail FAQ Joseph Robinson Gardening 0 29-12-2004 06:28 AM
Easiest way to prepare soil for grass seed? Dave K. Gardening 14 31-07-2004 06:27 PM
grass seed Alison United Kingdom 3 05-03-2003 01:30 PM
Snow and Grass Seed BenignVanilla Gardening 13 08-02-2003 06:43 PM