Old 12-05-2005, 09:35 AM

Default 20 tons of topsoil - help!

Sorry in advance, because I guess this is an unanswerable question. I
need some topsoil, and have managed to get a good deal, but I have to
buy a minimum of 20 tons. Trouble is, I really can't visualise what 20
tons looks like!

The space is pretty big - about 90 feet by 50 feet, though I want to
fill only half of that if possible - perhaps to a depth of up to about
3 or 4 inches.

I know this is a vague question, but do people think this is way over
the top for my needs? I don't want to end up with a massive hill in my
garden!

Thanks

Will

Old 12-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Harold Walker

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry in advance, because I guess this is an unanswerable question. I
need some topsoil, and have managed to get a good deal, but I have to
buy a minimum of 20 tons. Trouble is, I really can't visualise what 20
tons looks like!

The space is pretty big - about 90 feet by 50 feet, though I want to
fill only half of that if possible - perhaps to a depth of up to about
3 or 4 inches.

I know this is a vague question, but do people think this is way over
the top for my needs? I don't want to end up with a massive hill in my
garden!

Thanks

Will

Hope my calculation is somewhere in the right zone....a ton of soild varies
in weight according to its moisture content...believe it ranges from around
80 pounds to around 115 pounds per cubice ft.....so you are talking about a
range of 550 to 400 (approx) cubic feet of soil with 20 tons....or about 4
square feet at 3inches per cubic ft....the rest of the calculation is
easy..HW.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Emrys Davies

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry in advance, because I guess this is an unanswerable question. I
need some topsoil, and have managed to get a good deal, but I have to
buy a minimum of 20 tons. Trouble is, I really can't visualise what 20
tons looks like!

The space is pretty big - about 90 feet by 50 feet, though I want to
fill only half of that if possible - perhaps to a depth of up to about
3 or 4 inches.

I know this is a vague question, but do people think this is way over
the top for my needs? I don't want to end up with a massive hill in my
garden!

Thanks

Will

Make the calculator do the work.

http://www.millergroup.ca/compost/lme.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 13-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Rod

On Fri, 13 May 2005 16:26:04 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

but take it from me
that it doesn't get weighed, the bucket holds a tonne or half a tonne and
they get counted during loading, the weight doesn't enter into it.

Oh yes it does. All sand, gravel, soil etc is sold by the tonne, and is
weighed either by weighing equipment fitted to the loading shovel, or by the
vehicle being weighed on the weighbridge going in and coming out. The
difference between the two weights is what you pay for.

If you check your local yellow ads paper, you will find loads of adverts
from people who will deliver these materials to your home or site, at £xxx
per tonne.

Took the words right out of my mouth. The guys who deliver to us have
a weighing device on the wagon.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.