Old 14-11-2002, 06:27 AM
Amy

Default Can anyone help me???

Hi,
I own 30 acres of timber land in northern Wisconsin.
I bought it two years ago in hopes of profiting from the cedar, about 80
cord. I haven't tried to sell and I haven't done much research yet. Except
to know that of course I have to get help from the DNR to make sure the
forest is replanted afterwards.
I have birch, ash and oak also, just not sure what to do.
Is winter the best time to look for a buyer, where do I look, how do I know
I'm getting a good deal. What can I possibly expect for profits on cedar,
what is white cedar going per cord today?
Lots of questions but I can't find anyone to answer them, at least
truthfully.
I also have a potential buyer of the land, so I may lose a profit if I sell
it with-out selling the timber. I'd like to make good on my investment.

If no one here can help could you point me in the right direction?

Thank you so much.

Old 14-11-2002, 04:14 PM
Daniel B. Wheeler

"Amy" wrote in message ...
[...]

Smaller diameter (2-12" diameter) birch and oak make good growing
medium for shiitake (Lentinula edodes) mushrooms, as well as many
other mushroom species. But that presumes you're going to be keeping
the land, and I sense you are looking to harvest most trees before
selling the land.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com
Old 15-11-2002, 06:09 PM
Joe Zorzin

Find a good forestry consultant, preferably a member of the Forest Steward's
Guild. Check their database of members at http://foreststewardsguild.org

--
Joe Zorzin

Old 15-11-2002, 06:10 PM
Joe Zorzin

"Daniel B. Wheeler" wrote in message
om...
"Amy" wrote in message

[...]

Heck, I bet if someone asked here a question about war in Iraq, or quantum
mechanics, Daniel would turn the discussion towards mushrooms. G