Old 05-03-2003, 10:51 PM
mhagen

Default surplus tech gear

It's that time of year again. I'm selling or trading various forester's
and environmental science gear. Respond via email if you might be
interested in an Aleggro DOS/WinCE field PC plus all the cables and
software - good as new. Compares well with CMT's and DAP. This was the
top of the line at Juniper two years ago and was a company demo unit for
it's first year. Also, a one year old Magellan Platinum, also with
cables and topo software. Good shape with some cosmetic wear. Also a two
year old Compaq Ipaq 3130 which worked surprisingly well as a field data
logger. Software included of course. This stuff will all go on ebay next
week if no bites.
Mike Hagen
Hagen Consulting

Old 06-03-2003, 05:03 PM
mhagen

Joe Zorzin wrote:
Mike, why are you selling the Magellan? Just curious as that's one of the
models I've been looking at- that and the Garmin Map 76S.
--

I'd like to bump up to a survey grade gps. The Magellan was good but
it's time for the next step up. If I don't sell it, it's still fine for

Old 06-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Joe Zorzin

About how much money do you think you'll need to spend on a survey grade
unit? What specifically do you need it for?

JZ

Old 06-03-2003, 09:07 PM
mhagen

Joe Zorzin wrote:
About how much money do you think you'll need to spend on a survey grade
unit? What specifically do you need it for?

JZ

I'm looking at CMT or Trimble gps equipment but am leaning toward the
CMT. The handheld units run $4-5K (and up!) for either brand. Then you
need a Coast Guard beacon reciever or have to buy a satelite subscription.
It's for mapping reference reach endpoints in a watershed analysis this
summer and then for my wetland delineation work. I could offer a
significant savings over having to bring in a surveyor.

Old 07-03-2003, 12:10 AM
Jerry Mohlman

It's that time of year again. I'm selling or trading various forester's
and environmental science gear. Respond via email if you might be
interested in an Aleggro DOS/WinCE field PC plus all the cables and
software - good as new. Compares well with CMT's and DAP. This was the
top of the line at Juniper two years ago and was a company demo unit for
it's first year. Also, a one year old Magellan Platinum, also with
cables and topo software. Good shape with some cosmetic wear. Also a two
year old Compaq Ipaq 3130 which worked surprisingly well as a field data
logger. Software included of course. This stuff will all go on ebay next
week if no bites.
Mike Hagen
Hagen Consulting

Looks like good stuff here. I'm not really interested in these items but since
you bring this up, I am interested in purchasing the following types of old
forestry equipment:
1. Professional level compasses made before 1950. Especially staff compasses
complete with the ball and socket mount and case. Also old Jacobs staffs and
light tripods made for these compasses.
2. Old board and log rules with burned in numbers, especially those made by the
Lufkin Rule Company. Not interested in modern painted number rules with
polyurathane.
3. Forestry texts published before 1930 in excellent condition.
4. Topographic scale Abney Levels with a case.
5.Old clinometers such as the Faustmann height measure, Weise height measure,
Christen Height measure, Klaussner height measure, Winkler height measure, or
Brandis Height measure.
6. Chain tape in link measure on wooden windup reel made by Lufkin or Dietzgen.

7. Any other old (pre-wwII) forest management equipment.

Jerry Mohlman
Nostalgic, neanderthal forester

Old 07-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Joe Zorzin

Jerry, whudya gonna do with that junk? G Set up a museum?

--
Joe Zorzin
http://www.forestmeister.com

Old 07-03-2003, 05:08 PM
mhagen

[...]

It'd be interesting to see what our junk closets look like. Your list
sounds like the stuff in my colleges forestry tool room thirty five
years ago but I'm not familiar at all with those clinometer scales.
Could you describe them?
Who'd have ever thought that Abneys and staff compasses would become
collectors items. And metal chains - I'm used to the two-chain trailer
tape. Who still knows how to throw one? One can occasionally find old
Columbia and other scale sticks in antique stores out here. Saw a water
stick just recently that must have been 9 feet long.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Jerry Mohlman

Jerry, whudya gonna do with that junk? G Set up a museum?

Something like that. My intermediate goal is transform the interior of my house
into narrow walkways between piles of stuff. I'm about 1/4 to 1/2 the way
there.

Old 08-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Jerry Mohlman

It'd be interesting to see what our junk closets look like. Your list
sounds like the stuff in my colleges forestry tool room thirty five
years ago but I'm not familiar at all with those clinometer scales.
Could you describe them?
Who'd have ever thought that Abneys and staff compasses would become
collectors items. And metal chains - I'm used to the two-chain trailer
tape. Who still knows how to throw one? One can occasionally find old
Columbia and other scale sticks in antique stores out here. Saw a water
stick just recently that must have been 9 feet long.

All the clinometers are listed and described as modern up-to-date forestry
equipment in the classic text by Henry Solon Graves Forest Mensuration in 1906.
This book has engravings of all these and appear to be inventions of German
foresters. The book also has histories of all known log rules at that time,
dozens of them.
Anyway the clinometers are extremely complicated looking contraptions with
arms sticking out or strings hanging down. Scales with tiny numbers and tiny
lines- that type of thing. It would be better if you could look up the book and
see them yourself. My descriptions would be long and totally inadequate. They
all are based on trigonometry and require the additional math to get a tree
height. Actually I do own a Faustman height measure. I bought it on ebay for
$10. It was the only one I've ever seen other than in the book. It is a
rectangular piece of boxwood about 8"long by 4" high. It has sights on the top
and a fold out mirror about 4" long bottom front. There is a vertical sliding
scale in the middle with a string attached to a small plumb bob at top of this
scale. There is a pie shaped scale that the string is lined up on and read in
the mirror. The sliding scale is for use in mountainous country so the top and
bottom of the tree can be read on the main scale. You sight the tree through
the sights and read the scale in the mirror. Then do the math. The rest of the
clinometers are totally different but just as complicated.

I still use a two chain trailer tape too for running property lines. I use a
reel but if I have to hoof it far I take it off the reel and throw it. I like
to watch a new face while I do it and see the reaction.

Well next time you see an old Columbia scale stick or 9 foot water stick, I
would definately be interested in buying them. Shipping to Michigan on a 9 foot
stick may be a problem though.

Old 09-03-2003, 01:39 AM
Geoff Kegerreis

Mike, check out ebay for that stuff. I came across a Trimble
Pro unit for $4k. It was a sub meter unit. If I were you, I'd
look for a geoexplorerII, if you can find it. They are a good
unit, but only 3-5m precision. You should be able to find one
for $1k.

Good luck!
-GK

Old 10-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Geoff Kegerreis

I can see it now...

Mohlman's Forestry Museum!

Featuring old-timer forestry equipment and da rugged men
dat used to use dem.

Location: In da U.P.

Other features: Home-made Fudge and hot pasties fer sale.

Come visit now so you can experience marking timber in da wintertime
in da U.P. Snow shovels and Nelson paint guns fer rent!
Snowshoes fer sale cheap!

(just kidding, Jerry)

Geoff Kegerreis
www.timberlineforestry.com

Old 10-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Jerry Mohlman

Mohlman's Forestry Museum!

Featuring old-timer forestry equipment and da rugged men
dat used to use dem.

Location: In da U.P.

Other features: Home-made Fudge and hot pasties fer sale.

Sure, I'd even let in Trolls (yooper slang for those that live below the
Mackinac bridge)

FS: Hydroponics Gear ^Doc^ Gardening 1 30-11-2003 03:12 PM
Surplus pots... Jim United Kingdom 9 14-10-2003 01:02 PM
Bee keeper's head gear/mosquitos Jacqueline Davidson Gardening 4 16-09-2003 11:32 AM
Surplus pea query Paul England United Kingdom 3 18-07-2003 10:27 PM
My Green-machine needs a replacement (nylon) gear. J. D. Ramsaran Lawns 0 14-05-2003 01:56 AM