Old 18-10-2005, 11:42 AM
tracey

Default yellow leaves

hi everyone, i live near mindarie in perth, where there is lots of
limestone. i was just wondering what others in a circumstance wehere they
live on almost a limestone pad, do to combat the alkalinity? any tips?
currently i put trace elemets, iron chelets on. but i dont know if i amdonig
enough. the grapefruit tree i have, still has green veins and yellowing
leaves. not sure what to do. how long does it take after adding back
nutrients to u notice a change.

and, what fertilizers does everyone use?

thanks in advance

tracey

Old 18-10-2005, 12:54 PM
loosecanon

Hi Tracey,

Iron chelates should rectify the problem with the chlorosis in the leaves.
But knowing Mindarie there is a lot of capstone below the surface. My
suggestion would be to either put an azalea mix from your local garden
centre as a mulch or visit the Yanchep pine plantation and gather some pine
needles both are acidic. The pine needles are an excellent mulch and break
down to a nice soil. Top ups would be necessary as it breaks down. Added
bonus is less weeds.

Now just bud an imperil mandarin and a navel orange onto the tree as they
are so much nicer than grapefruit!lol

Cheers

Richard

Old 18-10-2005, 11:38 PM
tracey

pine needles.. thanks for the great tip, i will do that. and try the azalea
mix, thanks for ur great advice.

and I have a valencia and a navel growing as well.. still little.. only a
few years old, but they both have lovely green leaves! mind.. the valencia,
is not doing as well as the navel! they both are within a backyard range of
each other, funny how two can do well with nice green leaves, and one (the
grapefruit) can do so much worse, all within the space of a backyard!
anyway.. grapefruit are gorgeous,. mmmmmmmmm.. i cant wait!

mandarin.. hmmm.. I'll have to think about that one!

thansk again

tracey

Old 03-12-2005, 11:39 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jacko

tracey wrote:
pine needles.. thanks for the great tip, i will do that. and try the azalea
mix, thanks for ur great advice.

and I have a valencia and a navel growing as well.. still little.. only a
few years old, but they both have lovely green leaves! mind.. the valencia,
is not doing as well as the navel! they both are within a backyard range of
each other, funny how two can do well with nice green leaves, and one (the
grapefruit) can do so much worse, all within the space of a backyard!
anyway.. grapefruit are gorgeous,. mmmmmmmmm.. i cant wait!

mandarin.. hmmm.. I'll have to think about that one!

thansk again

tracey

These wont be any good untill you can stop the soil going alkaline. The
problem being food uptake which cannot happen if soil is acid. (acid for
Azealias) Better to put it in a small mound of mountain soil or such, (a
tub?) Azealias come from mountain country and need constant running acid
water. Try tea dregs/leaves at regular intervals .It works for me. PS
position face south away from midday sun and keep cool too, helps.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:41 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jacko

Jacko wrote:
tracey wrote:
[...]

Er that should read if soil is alkaline