Old 25-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Brian Delaney

Default Bird rings

Hi All,
I thought people might be interested in my recipe for a wild bird (
r any bird really ) Ring.

Ingredients:

1. Ring tin ( or any microwave proof receptacle )
2. Bird seed ( the Rosella's near me seem to like the wild bird mix from
Aldis )
3. Egg whites.
4. Twine ( not the plastic kind )

Measure how many cups of seed will fit in your ring tin, then transfer
the seed to a mixing bowl. For every cup on seed add one egg white then
add an extra one. ( My ring tin takes 4 cups of seed so I add 5 egg
whites). Lightly hand whisk the egg whites together, then add to the
seed and mix until seed is coated. Place half the mixture into the ring
tin then lay the twine in a loop around the mixture, making sure that the
twine is away from the edges and that a portion of it is left hanging
from the tin ( so you can tie it to a branch or what ever ) Pour over the
rest of the mixture then firmly press the mixture in to the mold. Put the
ring tin into the microwave and bake for 6 minutes on low ( my microwave
is 1000 watt and I set it too 500 watt for 6 minutes, times and settings
will vary for different microwaves ) at the end of 6 minutes turn out the
mixture onto a plate. Sometimes the bottom of the seed ring still looks a
bit white where the egg has not fully cooked if this is the case simply
put the plate and seed ring back in the microwave for 30 seconds, the egg
should be transparent and the whole ring should have a slightly glazed
appearance.

The rosella's and Gallah's in my area love this bird ring and flock to
the garden to get some. I prefer doing it in the microwave as opposed
to the oven, as some recipes suggest, because the seed dosn't get
toasted, it only takes 6 minutes instead of 20 - 40 minutes in an oven,
and I can use twine which is better for the trees than wire is ( and
easier to work with as well ).

I hope this is helpful

Brian Delaney
Old 26-10-2005, 08:09 AM
Jen

minutes, times and settings
will vary for different microwaves ) at the end of 6 minutes turn out the
mixture onto a plate. Sometimes the bottom of the seed ring still looks a
bit white where the egg has not fully cooked if this is the case simply

But egg white turns white when cooked, and is clear when raw. Seems
strange.

--
Jen

Old 26-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Brian Delaney

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 07:09:42 +0000, Jen wrote:

minutes, times and settings
will vary for different microwaves ) at the end of 6 minutes turn out the
mixture onto a plate. Sometimes the bottom of the seed ring still looks a
bit white where the egg has not fully cooked if this is the case simply

But egg white turns white when cooked, and is clear when raw. Seems
strange.

Chemistry was never my forte, I just call it as I see it :-)

Old 26-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Jen

But egg white turns white when cooked, and is clear when raw. Seems
strange.

Chemistry was never my forte, I just call it as I see it :-)

Fair enough. I'll have to copy this for my Mother, she has finches and
likes to give them the big thingies for their food because she's in and out
of hospital a lot. Thanks.

--
Jen