Old 11-02-2006, 02:22 AM posted to aus.gardens
nesredep egrob

Default Please help with dying Mango tree

Tree is about 6-7 year old. Supposed to be a grafted tree at $ 70 from a regular
supplier.
However I have in the last three years seen the tree virtually die away only to
come up promising again in the spring.
I have on ftp.egrob.no-ip.info a picture called Mango. The site is normally only
used for our relations in UK with family pictures and odd's from time to time.
You can either double click on it and it will show on your computer or right
click and save the file which you can then scan for a virus - but I can
guarantee that there is no virus there and also people cannot write to the file
which is on my personal computer.

Please look and give some advice - plant was at one time (3 years back) showing
flowers and looking really good but now most of the leaves are like the picture
- please help if you can.
Watering is regular and copious from a bore on the property.. We have also from
time to time used additives to make the soil accept the water rather than just
run off the surface. The soil is on a sand base but it is well mixed with mulch
from a rotary mulcher.

B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp
Old 01-03-2006, 10:25 PM posted to aus.gardens
Roger Dewhurst

"nesredep egrob" Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40 wrote in message
[...]

Move it 2 or 3 degrees closer to the equator and it might grow.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Tinana Queensland

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesredep egrob
[...]

Mate, Just checked out your Lat/Long and at a rough guess, I would say you are at an absolute minimum of 600-800 km south of where mangoes are supposed to grow. Botanica's encyclopaedia of trees and shrubs put them around Darwin and Cape York (zone 11), but I live in Queensland 300km north of Brisbane and they grow just fine here (zone 10). Around Carnarvon is the furthest south that mangoes are happiest growing. Even considering what you have put into the soil etc, I would suggest that your mango is just about ready to go to the great compost pile in the sky. It annoys me that unscrupulous nurseries sell plants and trees that are totally unsuited to the area. By the way, nice area you live in - used work up in the Pilbara and after joining the RAAFwas based at Pearce.
TinanaTaffy
Old 02-03-2006, 06:39 PM posted to aus.gardens
Travis

TinanaTaffy wrote:

Mate, Just checked out your Lat/Long and at a rough guess, I would say
you are at an absolute minimum of 600-800 km south of where mangoes are
supposed to grow.

I've seen a healthy and productive mango tree in Perth.

My own (Perth) mango tree is growing slowly and hasn't fruited, but the
nil fruit probably has more to do with the small size than anything
else. Its about 1.5m tall, though put on about 30cm in the last year.

Remind me in ten years to give you an update...

How to bonsai a Mango tree? Elwood Bonsai 2 15-08-2010 09:29 AM
Growing a mango tree in a medium pot, pruning? Elwood Gardening 0 09-04-2010 03:48 PM
growing a mango tree in a big pot Zarlot531 Edible Gardening 5 24-06-2008 04:28 AM
Mango tree question Rob Australia 4 15-10-2006 04:43 AM
Growing mango tree ........ Kate ...... Gardening 0 15-08-2003 10:22 AM