Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Phill Lee

Default dog killing the lawn

As the title says. Is there anything that can be put on the grass to stop
the dog urinating on it.
Phill

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Willow

I've heard that if you feed the dog fewer biscuits the urine tends not to
kill the lawn. Maybe replace some biscuits with rice or pasta. Another
option is to water-in the urine straight after the dog does it's thing. Try
posting your message in alt.pets.dogs or rec.pets.dogs

Goodluck!

--
Wanda
aka Willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
silvasurfa

"Willow" wrote in message
I've heard that if you feed the dog fewer biscuits the urine tends not to
kill the lawn. Maybe replace some biscuits with rice or pasta. Another
option is to water-in the urine straight after the dog does it's thing.

If you always put the dog out just before you water the lawn (assuming you
have popup sprinklers) then at least some of the wee will get washed in
without you having to wait and watch.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
silvasurfa

"Willow" wrote in message
The idea did seem a bit unrealistic, but I still felt I should pass it on

--
Wanda

Unrealistic for stopping all the urine spots, but realistic to stop some of
them.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Andrew G

"Phill Lee" wrote in message
As the title says. Is there anything that can be put on the grass to stop
the dog urinating on it.
Phill

I have heard something along the lines of what Willow said, about feeding
the dog fewer biscuits.

Other than that, then as others have said, about watering it in and so on,
but I can see how that would be time consuming and you would have to see the
dog doing it.

What about the old trick of softdrink bottles full of water in the garden? I
remember my Father used to do it, but I can't quite remember if it was to
stop dogs or cats, digging or urinating or crapping? Also, I can't remember
if it worked. However it may refresh some peoples memories here and they can
give more info on that?

Just curious as the type of lawn you have. What is it? Anything other than
Buffalo?
Yesterday we went to visit some friends.
I was asked about how they can give new life to the lawn. Lawn was mostly
couch, with some buffalo runners in it. Buffalo runners had gone wild around
and into the pond.
I told them to spray sections of the lawn, then plant the buffalo runners,
if they wanted a buffalo lawn.
Then he showed me a section off the back step, where he had his nightime
cigarettes, and a leak if need be. The urine had killed the couch, but not
the buffalo, in this one area about the size of a dinner plate.
I found it interesting, that in a similar way, it worked like fusilade. A
chemical that will kill grasses (monocots), and not dicots(many plants).
Not sure what buffalo is, (dicot or mono?), but as broadleaf weed killer
"can" kill it, then I would say it's a dicot.
So could it be, that urine, well human urine anyway, is a cheap form of
"grass" only killer?

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Leanne

I actually raised that exact point with a friend today...

Why is it that the dog wees on the lawn and it dies... yet to get lush
growth we scatter urea - seems odd!

I was told that the dog's urine is far more concentrated in urea BUT if I
water it in then it would beneficial to the lawn rather than detrimental. I
was also told about the dog biscuit scenario...that they tend to make the
urine more 'lawn unfriendly'.

I guess I havent helped at all... but instead just wanted to share my
thoughts.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Peter Hatley

Soft drink bottles, filled with water, works quite well. Just leave a
couple around the lawn (move them every couple of days to stop bare batches
under the bottle!)

--
Peter Hatley
ICQ 11742831

(Yahoo/MSN/Hotmail/Windows Messenger)

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Peter Hatley

Try some moth balls or pepper. That'll keep the dog off totally (it won't
just stop urine) so if u want him on the lawn to play etc this is no good.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
John Savage

"Andrew G" wrote:
"Phill Lee" wrote in message
u...
As the title says. Is there anything that can be put on the grass to stop
the dog urinating on it.

When the topic of dog urine killing lawn arises on pet programs on the
radio, frequently advice is given to provide the dog with more of a
vegetarian style diet. Feed it less meat, and bulk this out with rice,
pasta and cooked vegetables. This results in less corrosive urine. (It's
probably less pongy, too.)

I have seen vegetatarian dogs featured on a tv program, where the dogs
were hoeing into a plate of washed lettuce leaves, so you have no worries
about the dog not being adequately nourished with less meat and more
vegetables.

Other than that, then as others have said, about watering it in and so on,
but I can see how that would be time consuming and you would have to see the
dog doing it.

The solution is to teach the dog to turn the sprinkler on after it pees
on the lawn, and have a timer turn it off after a few minutes. Once your
pooch has mastered this manoeuver, YOUR LAWN PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED!
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Colleen M Curran

"Peter Hatley" wrote in message
Soft drink bottles, filled with water, works quite well.

Just leave a
couple around the lawn (move them every couple of days to

stop bare batches
under the bottle!)
Peter Hatley
ICQ 11742831

I was listening to Dr Hugh Wirth on the ABC this morning
(Saturday) he confirmed the dry food and said it was due to
too much alkaline in the urine. His advice was to add more
balance to the dogs diet and if this is not possible you can
get tablets from the Vet to help.
I have seen dogs urinating on the bottles spread around
lawns so not so sure it works. The theory is that dogs do
not urinate near fresh water I believe.

Dog Worms: Understand Dog Worms Symptoms and Infestation brahimbb17 Gardening 0 10-12-2008 12:17 PM
My Dog Keeps Killing My Lawn Mark Woodcock United Kingdom 26 13-10-2007 12:08 PM
dog wee killing my lawn Biller Lawns 7 12-06-2004 01:06 AM
dog killing the lawn Phill Lee Lawns 2 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
dog killing the lawn Phill Lee Lawns 2 28-12-2002 02:15 PM