Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2006, 08:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default recipe for Zucchini Loaf

Seeing an abundance of zucchinis in the supermarkets at the moment was
a reminder to get my Mum to email me this recipe.

This recipe for Zucchini bread (actually a sweet cake loaf) is delicious,
both warm and cold, and no one will believe that it contains zucchini.
If eaten cold it is best spread with butter. When hot, also, but if you
happen to be dieting then eat it hot and you really won't miss the butter.

Zucchini Bread
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quarter teaspoon Baking Powder
1 level teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
2 & a quarter cups caster sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
3 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 cup walnuts
1 cup oil
2 cups grated zucchini
3 cups flour

Set oven at 180 deg C. Line 2 loaf tins. Beat eggs till light and
foamy. Add sugar, vanilla and oil. Beat till thick and mousse-like.
Stir in the grated zucchini.
Sift together flour,baking powder,salt,bicarb soda and cinnamon. Fold
this into the zucchini mixture with the roughly chopped walnuts.
Pour into tins and bake in pre heated moderate oven for 1- 1 and a half
hours or until cooked when tested with a skewer.

Use only tender fresh zucchini. (If large, peel and seed before
grating). Light maize, peanut or safflower oil give good results.
Stir in zucchini and don't beat.