Old 09-08-2006, 08:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default recipe for Zucchini Loaf

Seeing an abundance of zucchinis in the supermarkets at the moment was
a reminder to get my Mum to email me this recipe.

This recipe for Zucchini bread (actually a sweet cake loaf) is delicious,
both warm and cold, and no one will believe that it contains zucchini.
If eaten cold it is best spread with butter. When hot, also, but if you
happen to be dieting then eat it hot and you really won't miss the butter.

Zucchini Bread
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quarter teaspoon Baking Powder
1 level teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
2 & a quarter cups caster sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
3 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 cup walnuts
1 cup oil
2 cups grated zucchini
3 cups flour

Set oven at 180 deg C. Line 2 loaf tins. Beat eggs till light and
foamy. Add sugar, vanilla and oil. Beat till thick and mousse-like.
Stir in the grated zucchini.
Sift together flour,baking powder,salt,bicarb soda and cinnamon. Fold
this into the zucchini mixture with the roughly chopped walnuts.
Pour into tins and bake in pre heated moderate oven for 1- 1 and a half
hours or until cooked when tested with a skewer.

Use only tender fresh zucchini. (If large, peel and seed before
grating). Light maize, peanut or safflower oil give good results.
Stir in zucchini and don't beat.
Old 16-08-2006, 10:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
[...]

well, YUM!

we had an unexpectedly bumper crop of zucchini this summer & since i only
know one (1) zucchini recipe, it got frankly tragic as time went on. (bloody
zucchini bake 3 times a week for a while there :-) fortunately the frost
came along & killed the plants, just as we were at the point of utter
despair ;-)

this summer shall be much better - i have two recipes now g
kylie

Old 18-08-2006, 12:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

well, YUM!

we had an unexpectedly bumper crop of zucchini this summer & since i only
know one (1) zucchini recipe, it got frankly tragic as time went on. (bloody
zucchini bake 3 times a week for a while there :-) fortunately the frost
came along & killed the plants, just as we were at the point of utter
despair ;-)

this summer shall be much better - i have two recipes now g

There is no such thing as an *unexpectedly* bumper crop of zucchini! You just
need to remember to only plant one plant.

I'm going to grow 'Early White' squash again this year -- or, as I prefer to
call them, flying saucer squash.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 18-08-2006, 01:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

well, YUM!

we had an unexpectedly bumper crop of zucchini this summer & since i only
know one (1) zucchini recipe, it got frankly tragic as time went on.
(bloody
zucchini bake 3 times a week for a while there :-) fortunately the frost
came along & killed the plants, just as we were at the point of utter
despair ;-)

this summer shall be much better - i have two recipes now g

There is no such thing as an *unexpectedly* bumper crop of zucchini! You
just
need to remember to only plant one plant.

aaaaahhhhhh! you will be my salvation, chookie g

to be fair to myself, though, i was just trying to err on the side of
avoiding total failure - i.e. no, or not enough, zucchini. i must say, in
all my vegetable endeavours, it seems to be feast or famine! i will get the
balance right eventually, i know (when i'm about 92).

I'm going to grow 'Early White' squash again this year -- or, as I prefer
call them, flying saucer squash.

my Exciting New Squash (in general, i loathe them bar pumpkin & zucchini &
avoid them like the plague ;-) this year will be spaghetti squash. i'm quite
excited, because i just can't _imagine_ it, iyswim. so that will be fun.
less fun, i'm somewhat resigned to either having them coming out my ears, or
loving them but finding there just aren't enough. g
kylie

Old 18-08-2006, 01:27 AM posted to aus.gardens

Chookie wrote:
There is no such thing as an *unexpectedly* bumper crop of zucchini! You just
need to remember to only plant one plant.

I guess this is an option if you plant from seed, but if you buy
your plants by the punnet you get at least 8 at a time, and how
can you bear to throw them away? Just planted a punnetful of
rhubarb. I just know I am going to have major rhubarb battles...

Old 18-08-2006, 05:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...

Chookie wrote:
There is no such thing as an *unexpectedly* bumper crop of zucchini! You
just
need to remember to only plant one plant.

I guess this is an option if you plant from seed, but if you buy
your plants by the punnet you get at least 8 at a time, and how
can you bear to throw them away?

good point, and this is one of my battles - i have trouble "thinning" for
success & removing the strugglers, although i know i should. i tend to let
them linger pointlessly on until competition or lack of vigour does them in
for me - it's daft, i know. it comes from my waste-no-want-not mindset, but
it's genuinely counterproductive.

in a case where you've bought 8 (or whatever) baby plants where you really
wanted fewer but had no choice, it's doubly difficult & is truly a waste if
none of them are duds or strugglers, & no friends or family want to take the
spares.

Just planted a punnetful of
rhubarb. I just know I am going to have major rhubarb battles...

what you clearly need is a recipe incorporating rhubarb and zucchini g
kylie

Old 18-08-2006, 12:55 PM posted to aus.gardens

In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

I guess this is an option if you plant from seed, but if you buy
your plants by the punnet you get at least 8 at a time, and how
can you bear to throw them away?

good point, and this is one of my battles - i have trouble "thinning" for
success & removing the strugglers, although i know i should. i tend to let
them linger pointlessly on until competition or lack of vigour does them in
for me - it's daft, i know. it comes from my waste-no-want-not mindset, but
it's genuinely counterproductive.

LOL -- just think of them as compost.

in a case where you've bought 8 (or whatever) baby plants where you really
wanted fewer but had no choice, it's doubly difficult & is truly a waste if
none of them are duds or strugglers, & no friends or family want to take the
spares.

True -- but with zucchini, you can sometimes get single advanced plants.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 18-08-2006, 02:09 PM posted to aus.gardens

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:
we had an unexpectedly bumper crop of zucchini this summer

There is no such thing as an *unexpectedly* bumper crop of zucchini!
You just need to remember to only plant one plant.

Just what I was thinking. Either you plant them 2 weeks apart (requires some
really serious planning) or just have one and water it a lot. Nothing
unexpected about those things. You just gotta keep picking them before they
become The Hindenburg.

--
ant

Old 21-08-2006, 03:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" writes:
this summer shall be much better - i have two recipes now g

Great. Now you'll be able to have a zucchini dish for both the main
course AND dessert! With a little ingenuity, you could probably come up
with a mouth-watering zucchini-and-nutmeg ice-cream to top it off! :-)

Don't forget that the excess flowers are edible too.

Stirfried sliced tomatoe, onion and zucchini is good, and hard to beat if
you include a few bacon pieces, too.
Old 21-08-2006, 10:04 AM posted to aus.gardens

John Savage wrote:
Seeing an abundance of zucchinis in the supermarkets at the moment was
a reminder to get my Mum to email me this recipe.

This recipe for Zucchini bread (actually a sweet cake loaf) is delicious,

Tried this on the weekend, but cut the sugar in half and thought it was
still too sweet.

Ended up thinking it was a waste of zucchini, but an okay basic cinnamon
cake.

Must find an old vege bread recipe, which the wife and I decided might
be better.

What oil do people use?

Old 21-08-2006, 12:48 PM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" writes:
this summer shall be much better - i have two recipes now g

Great. Now you'll be able to have a zucchini dish for both the main
course AND dessert! With a little ingenuity, you could probably come up
with a mouth-watering zucchini-and-nutmeg ice-cream to top it off! :-)

i reckon! do you ever watch iron chef? the things they make ice-cream from
is frankly astonishing!!

Don't forget that the excess flowers are edible too.

i wanted to try a flower recipe or two, but (this is pathetic, but here's
where my head is at) wee bug families would always be living in there, & i
didn't want to disturb them. hahaha! if they were destructive bugs it would
have been KILL! KILL! KILL!, but they just seemed to be living in there
harmlessly. sigh. when i'd pick the zucchini i'd take off the withered
flower & leave it on the ground so they could rehome themselves.

Stirfried sliced tomatoe, onion and zucchini is good, and hard to beat if
you include a few bacon pieces, too.

this is something my sil makes, but truth be told, it frightens me. i
suspect i'm not a REAL zucchini person at heart.
kylie

Old 21-08-2006, 12:51 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Terryc" wrote in message
John Savage wrote:
Seeing an abundance of zucchinis in the supermarkets at the moment was
a reminder to get my Mum to email me this recipe.

This recipe for Zucchini bread (actually a sweet cake loaf) is delicious,

Tried this on the weekend, but cut the sugar in half and thought it was
still too sweet.

ya, that's a lot of sugar. i usually halve the sugar in pretty much
everything. i have to or it's just too sweet for me. (american recipes i'd
probably use a quarter of what they recommend. lordy!!)

Ended up thinking it was a waste of zucchini, but an okay basic cinnamon
cake.

Must find an old vege bread recipe, which the wife and I decided might
be better.

What oil do people use?

i use olive oil for everything, actually. either x-virgin if it's for
something which should taste olive-oily, or "light" (one of the latter
pressings) if it should be blander.
kylie

Old 22-08-2006, 12:26 AM posted to aus.gardens

Chookie wrote:
it comes from my waste-no-want-not mindset, but
it's genuinely counterproductive.

LOL -- just think of them as compost.

Expensive compost.

I have the same problem here with self-seeding (lettuce, spinach,
borage, etc) as SWMBO will not thin. Worst problem is crop rotation.

OTOH, it is surprising how small a seed spud can be.

Old 26-08-2006, 08:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" writes:
i reckon! do you ever watch iron chef? the things they make ice-cream from
is frankly astonishing!!

Personally, I draw the line at prawn flavoured ice-cream.

harmlessly. sigh. when i'd pick the zucchini i'd take off the withered
flower & leave it on the ground so they could rehome themselves.

The spent flowers look very unappealing.

Stirfried sliced tomatoe, onion and zucchini is good, and hard to beat if
you include a few bacon pieces, too.

this is something my sil makes, but truth be told, it frightens me. i
suspect i'm not a REAL zucchini person at heart.
kylie

Ah. You'd be a choko person then??