Old 23-10-2006, 07:14 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Water restrictions and gardens

Terryc wrote:
What a thick dipstick.
So, what is the difference between the water running continuously in the
hand basin whilst you shave and/or clean your teeth and it running
continuously in the shower for the extra time it takes to shave and/or
clean your teeth,.

The idea is that you don't run the water continuously while shaving
or brushing your teeth. You brush/shave first, then rinse. It does
add up to quite a lot. I probably waste a litre or two a day brushing
my teeth in the shower.

Old 23-10-2006, 10:00 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Terryc wrote:
What a thick dipstick.
So, what is the difference between the water running continuously in the
hand basin whilst you shave and/or clean your teeth and it running
continuously in the shower for the extra time it takes to shave and/or
clean your teeth,.

The idea is that you don't run the water continuously while shaving
or brushing your teeth. You brush/shave first, then rinse. It does
add up to quite a lot. I probably waste a litre or two a day brushing
my teeth in the shower.

Do people actually brush their teeth in the shower?? That certainly would
waste a lot of water. It's a totally ridiculous thing to do.

Jen

Old 23-10-2006, 09:55 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jen" wrote in message
The idea is that you don't run the water continuously while

shaving
or brushing your teeth. You brush/shave first, then rinse. It does
add up to quite a lot. I probably waste a litre or two a day

brushing
my teeth in the shower.

Do people actually brush their teeth in the shower?? That certainly

would
waste a lot of water. It's a totally ridiculous thing to do.

I do and my showers are still briefer than those of my extended family
who are all on town water. I keep wondering what the hell they are do
in the shower to take so long, and especially since they tell me they
don't do their teeth while they are showering.

Old 23-10-2006, 01:47 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Jen" wrote in message
The idea is that you don't run the water continuously while

shaving
or brushing your teeth. You brush/shave first, then rinse. It does
add up to quite a lot. I probably waste a litre or two a day

brushing
my teeth in the shower.

Do people actually brush their teeth in the shower?? That certainly

would
waste a lot of water. It's a totally ridiculous thing to do.

I do

Why on earth would you do that?? There's no need to have any tap running
while brushing your teeth, and the shower uses a lot more water than a tap
in the basin does. Imagine how much water you're wasting! Even just having
the tap running in the basin while your brushing is bad enough, but having
the actual shower running - that is just stupid in these days of troubles
with drought and water shortages!!!!!

Some people just take longer in the shower because they like to wash more
thoroughly, or slower, or like to rinse more. But to have it going just
while brushing your teeth??!!!!!!!!

Jen

Old 24-10-2006, 04:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

Jen wrote:
Even just having
the tap running in the basin while your brushing is bad enough, but having
the actual shower running - that is just stupid in these days of troubles
with drought and water shortages!!!!!

It is, and I am. Mea culpa. I just like to stand in the shower and
gaze out at the garden. It is wasteful, but it is a little luxury that
helps me get through the day. I would like to get a greywater
system in place to help salve my concience.

Old 24-10-2006, 11:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jen" wrote in message
The idea is that you don't run the water continuously while

shaving
or brushing your teeth. You brush/shave first, then rinse. It

does
add up to quite a lot. I probably waste a litre or two a day

brushing
my teeth in the shower.

Do people actually brush their teeth in the shower?? That

certainly
would waste a lot of water. It's a totally ridiculous thing to

do.

I do

Why on earth would you do that??

Because I don't feel clean till I've done it.

There's no need to have any tap running
while brushing your teeth, and the shower uses a lot more water than

a tap
in the basin does. Imagine how much water you're wasting!

I'm not wasting it. I'm rinsing the soap off my body while I am tooth
cleaning.

Some people just take longer in the shower because they like to wash

more
thoroughly, or slower, or like to rinse more. But to have it going

just
while brushing your teeth??!!!!!!!!

That comment is totally illogical. You seem to think it's OK to take
longer to wash but not OK to be a quicker washer and to also do one's
teeth at the same time. And I'm not wasting any water than any other
person can use. I collect my own and have never yet had to buy water.

Old 25-10-2006, 07:12 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

Some people just take longer in the shower because they like to wash

more
thoroughly, or slower, or like to rinse more. But to have it going

just
while brushing your teeth??!!!!!!!!

That comment is totally illogical. You seem to think it's OK to take
longer to wash but not OK to be a quicker washer and to also do one's
teeth at the same time. And I'm not wasting any water than any other
person can use. I collect my own and have never yet had to buy water.

It's never OK to waste water, whether it's for a longer wash or tooth
brushing. But the only person you can change is yourself. And you can
believe what you want to help you sleep at night.

Jen

Old 26-10-2006, 07:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jen" wrote in message
[...]

I sleep very well thank you.

Old 23-10-2006, 01:51 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jen Jen is offline

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
Terryc wrote:
wrote:

The idea is that you don't run the water continuously while shaving
or brushing your teeth.

Yep, I know this.
Personally, I think everyone should required to stop shaving as well.
That would save an enormous amount of money.

Most people I know brush while in peak traffic (Grin!)

This article from the Diamond Valley Leader Newspaper
A woman was fined last week for brushing her teeth - while driving a car.
The Patterson Lakes woman, 23 was spotted brushing her teeth in peak hour
traffic while driving north along Greensborough Highway about 9.10 am on
Thursday October 5. She was seen be Banyule Police who issued a $145 fine
for failing to have rpoepr control of a vehicle.
Now I ask you, was she or wasnt she trying to do the right thing?

The amount of water saved by domestic users is a piddle in the pond
compared to commercial users.. Its commercial users that are the problem.
Also if the Government was really serious about saving water they would
make toilets etc comply by having dual flush compulsory, as well as water
tanks....

Obviously you think the Government's not too serious about saving water. So
do something about it, or at least do what *you can* to lower your own use
of water - don't rely on the Government or someone else.

Jen

Old 23-10-2006, 10:57 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jen wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message
u...

Terryc wrote:

wrote:

[...]

ME Ive been saving water for years, but to come up with corporations to
regulate water is completely crazy.
They refuse to put in more infrastructure, and charge like wounded bulls
for a resource which will become limited. Yet they say we couldnt have
come this far without the Thompson dam, then say more dams wont create
more water. Er run that past me again?
With only 9% of all water being used by homes, we need a little more
response than putting the blame on people singing in showers. We should
be so happy. Lets face it, the only one with reason to sing in the
showers are the parliamentarians who leave their job with tax payer
funded super annuation...
Old 24-10-2006, 12:24 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
ME Ive been saving water for years, but to come up with corporations to
regulate water is completely crazy.
They refuse to put in more infrastructure, and charge like wounded bulls
for a resource which will become limited.

actually atm they don't charge enough. people would take it more seriously
if it cost more.

Yet they say we couldnt have
come this far without the Thompson dam, then say more dams wont create
more water. Er run that past me again?

it's true that the presence of more dams does not create more rain :-)

With only 9% of all water being used by homes, we need a little more
response than putting the blame on people singing in showers. We should be
so happy. Lets face it, the only one with reason to sing in the showers
are the parliamentarians who leave their job with tax payer funded super
annuation...

i think it's two things. householders are becoming more responsible, and
since they have to, that's good. businesses aren't necessarily becoming more
responsible, but they need to also. just because business doesn't do it's
part yet doesn't mean we shouldn't.
kylie (who relies solely on rain water and dam water now).