Old 21-11-2006, 03:22 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Grey water on Natives - yes

"Potaroo" wrote in message
Use the Planet Ark or Aware brand. Check them out in your Supermarket.
These have been tested on the Proteacea species. They are made from plant
oils etc, and are pretty good cleaners.

doesn't Don Burke recommend being very careful using greywater on Aussie
native plants? Something about phosphorous?

rob

Old 21-11-2006, 10:29 AM posted to aus.gardens

Old 22-11-2006, 12:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

Potaroo wrote:
Use the Planet Ark or Aware brand. Check them out in your Supermarket.
These have been tested on the Proteacea species. They are made from plant
oils etc, and are pretty good cleaners.

Yes, I use those brands - they do a good job.

Does anybody know a product for dishwashers that's okay?

Old 22-11-2006, 01:58 AM posted to aus.gardens

Potaroo wrote:
Use the Planet Ark or Aware brand. Check them out in your Supermarket.
These have been tested on the Proteacea species. They are made from plant
oils etc, and are pretty good cleaners.

What the heck, people are buying greywater to appear trendy?
I really prefer the stuff I create myself. Homemade is always better {:-).

Old 22-11-2006, 11:55 PM posted to aus.gardens

"George.com" wrote in message

"Potaroo" wrote in message
Use the Planet Ark or Aware brand. Check them out in your Supermarket.
These have been tested on the Proteacea species. They are made from
plant
oils etc, and are pretty good cleaners.

doesn't Don Burke recommend being very careful using greywater on Aussie
native plants? Something about phosphorous?

rob

we are using "aware" atm, they address this by not using any phosphates or
petrochemicals. you'd probably find i think, most brands have been reducing
their phosphates for years but "aware" claims not to contain any "chemical
phosphates" at all.

and if my terrible maths can be relied upon, it seems to be really good
value for money, too. :-) lastly, i've been pleased with its performance -
the last lot of whatever-brand-it-was i was using was just crap.

our washing machine pumps directly out onto the garden... i need to make the
hose longer so i can water more stuff with it as the water is proving not to
be killing anything, but that's my problem - i'll get to it. ;-)
kylie (NOT a shareholder in the aware company, just to make that clear ;-)

Old 24-11-2006, 11:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:

we are using "aware" atm, they address this by not using any phosphates or
petrochemicals. you'd probably find i think, most brands have been reducing
their phosphates for years but "aware" claims not to contain any "chemical
phosphates" at all.

Any chance of a chemical list?
AFAIK some brands reduce phosphates, but pump up salts.
Old 24-11-2006, 12:32 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Big Bear" wrote in message
0tterbot wrote:

we are using "aware" atm, they address this by not using any phosphates
or petrochemicals. you'd probably find i think, most brands have been
reducing their phosphates for years but "aware" claims not to contain any
"chemical phosphates" at all.

Any chance of a chemical list?
AFAIK some brands reduce phosphates, but pump up salts.

? do you mean they increase the quantity of salts?

it says on the side (not a food-packet style list, more of a blurb): plant
oil surfectants (palm or coconut oil and sugar); citrate salt from corn;
zeolite mineral; cellulose colloids; washing soda, botanical fragrance.

i must say, i didn't notice any problems with our trees even when we were
using ordinary washing powder (but we haven't been here long). i just got
this one recently, so i'm only watching out for problems that didn't
previously exist, really :-) i can tell you for a fact that bottlebrushes
grow up big & strong on washing powder! ;-)
kylie

Old 28-11-2006, 01:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

Big Bear wrote:
AFAIK some brands reduce phosphates, but pump up salts.

I did a greywater workshop with Ross Mars, and he showed us
a table listing various brands and the correspondign phosphate
and salt levels. He pointed out that the liquid detergents all had
low salt levels, so that is a useful rule of thumb.

Old 13-12-2006, 07:06 AM posted to aus.gardens

I doubt that Planet Ark would increase salt levels to destroy the
environment.
Most natives, eg Proteacea group, that it has been tested on would not
tolerate increased salt.