Old 06-01-2007, 06:07 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Grey water from washing machine

meeee wrote:
"Chookie" cackled:
You can check Choice for water efficiency of washing machines. Top
loaders
(which most Aussies prefer) are not very water efficient. OTOH the wash
water
from a front loader might be too 'dirty' (from detergent) to use on the
garden.

I agree. I've just had to swap my front loader for a top loader due to the
bloody thing breaking over Christmads, and I'm not impressed at all with the
new one. Wastes too much water, and doesn't wash the clothes as efficiently;
stuff comes out still a bit grubby, and that never happened in the front
loader. It's a very inefficient way to wash, and I'll be going back to a
front loader as soon as I can afford it.

Try a little more soap They differ that way, and wash in warm water.
As an Ex appliance mechanic, (I became EX when they decided to have
sales design washing machines) the best washing action is the old whirly
type agitators like the Hoover, the Westing house and the GE (they all
had built in weaknesses too). All large now extinct due to costs and
people trying ,and buying cheaper top loaders. Most people aren't happy
with top loaders these days. Even the whirlpool brand, while they were
great use quiet non gearbox agitators. Using a motor to reverse
agitation and planetary gearboxes does not give machines the shock
impact of a real washing machine gearbox, which had the power to pound
the water so it reversed action for better clean. The agitator would
also lift and reposition clothes so it would balance better and no one
part of the washing would be missed.
Unfortunately, the government makes rules and regulations so we will all
have to go to front loaders, but even these aren't as good as the older
machines.

It has come to pass that while I used to tell people to hang onto their
old ones, they quite often fell into the trap of thinking I was saying
this to make more money....

I told you so!!! (grin) I picked up an old machine, front loader, hate
it but my wife's happy enough...

I think I must be difficult to please.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:15 AM posted to aus.gardens

Sopem more advise on front loading washing machines
Wash clothes, not body, wacky warning advises

See link.http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1822437.htm

Old 06-01-2007, 09:39 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"0tterbot" wrote in message

my mum lives in a slightly more normal house, & connects an ordinary
garden hose to the washing machine outlet

in fact, it's the larger size of garden hose, not the ordinary kind.

can people explain the process they use to pump out the washing machine in
to the garden?

I was thinking this afternoon over summer it may be a good way to keep the
lawn watered.

Our washer has a shortish hose that clips on the back and feeds in to the
drain.

What do others connect from the outlet hose to the garden and how?
Is the pressure enough to run a sprinkler off it or a soaker hose?

Thanks.
Rob

Old 06-01-2007, 09:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
[...]

Lol washing machines can be funny things....I think mum had one of those old
washing machines, and it was way better than my pathetic thing. I agree
about the warm water, but we have an old, standard rental house, electric
hot water system. So I have to be careful with that or everyone's cold
showering. Can't wait to buy our own house....

Old 06-01-2007, 09:56 AM posted to aus.gardens

"meeee" wrote in message

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"0tterbot" wrote in message

my mum lives in a slightly more normal house, & connects an ordinary
garden hose to the washing machine outlet

in fact, it's the larger size of garden hose, not the ordinary kind. i
mean, it's quite ordinary, but not totally ordinary. well, in fact not
ordinary at all - rather good in fact. yet not quite extraordinary.

i might stop now while i'm still amusing myself, but before i bore
others. g
kylie

Lol...you could have worked the 'bore' bit a little more, I thought...

yes but this group is terrible for the puns. i do not want to encourage
anyone!! back, i say! back!
/waves chair, cracks whip
kylie

Old 06-01-2007, 10:43 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
"meeee" wrote in message
"0tterbot" wrote in message
"0tterbot" wrote in message

my mum lives in a slightly more normal house, & connects an ordinary
garden hose to the washing machine outlet
in fact, it's the larger size of garden hose, not the ordinary kind. i
mean, it's quite ordinary, but not totally ordinary. well, in fact not
ordinary at all - rather good in fact. yet not quite extraordinary.

i might stop now while i'm still amusing myself, but before i bore
others. g
kylie

Lol...you could have worked the 'bore' bit a little more, I thought...

yes but this group is terrible for the puns. i do not want to encourage
anyone!! back, i say! back!
/waves chair, cracks whip
kylie

Oh mistress! (grin) Kinky!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:32 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 01:22:12 GMT, "Claude"
wrote:

As an experiment, I caught all of the water coming out of the washing
machine this morning in buckets. To my amazement, I captured 10 buckets
from the wash cycle and another 10 buckets from the rinse cycle! At an
average of 8 litres per bucket, that's a helluva lot of water - enough to
water my modest suburban garden. My top loading Whirlpool 7244E has Small,
Medium, Large and Extra Large settings and I had it set on Large. So, since
we do about four loads per week, Melbourne's new regime which permits
watering only by hand on two days per week is not the problem I had thought
it was going to be, provided I can find the time to collect the water from
the washing machine. The detergent I've got is Duo, which claims 3.1 grams
of phosphorus per wash, supposedly half the maximum set by the industry's
own standard. No idea if 3.1 is acceptable for natives or not, but I'm a
bit nervous about it so I'll look for one of the liquid detergents at the
supermarket like Aware or Planet Ark. I could just use the rinse cycle
water, but that seems a terrible waste.

I may have missed something in the discussion that followed your post,
but here goes anyway..

Washing machines produce two types of gray water - the grossly
chemically loaded wash water and the lightly chemically loaded rinsing
water. I don't fancy putting the wash water on my garden.

With our Westinghouse toploader we press a 'drip dry' button, which
automatically pauses the cycle before the rinsing water is pumped out
of the machine.

So - the delivery hose sends the wash cycle water down the sink. Then
the machine rinses and pauses. At this point we take the delivery hose
out of the sink and plug it into a pipe that runs to a 150 litre
storage tank for the garden.

Reactivate the spin cycle and Bob's your uncle - the garden gets the
light gray rinsing water only.

All you have to remember is to unplug the delivery hose after the
rinse cycle. As we get grayer this gets more difficult and leads to
family arguments about whether the water in the tank is too gray..
Old 06-01-2007, 07:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

"George.com" wrote in message

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"0tterbot" wrote in message

my mum lives in a slightly more normal house, & connects an ordinary
garden hose to the washing machine outlet

in fact, it's the larger size of garden hose, not the ordinary kind.

can people explain the process they use to pump out the washing machine in
to the garden?

I was thinking this afternoon over summer it may be a good way to keep the
lawn watered.

Our washer has a shortish hose that clips on the back and feeds in to the
drain.

What do others connect from the outlet hose to the garden and how?
Is the pressure enough to run a sprinkler off it or a soaker hose?

Thanks.
Rob

I have one of those hoses from Bunnings attached and the pressure is not
strong enough to run a sprinkler but you could run a soaker hose, the type
that dribble out not spray out.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:36 AM posted to aus.gardens

You say 2 types of grey water. If you use the Aware or Planet Ark powders
there is no need to waste a litre of water. These have zero phosphates and
claim they are suitable for the proteaceae group of natives. You can't get
better than that. Powderpuff's post is correct. Waste NO water!

Old 24-02-2007, 07:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

In our house, we have been collecting the washing machine water for years.
It is definitely amazing how much water you can get. We mostly just save the
rinse cycle and carry it out in buckets. We have also bought a largish
plastic rubbin bin and put that under a roof section where the water comes
off. Again lots of water.

Then you see other neighbours just wasting it, how they like.
Aaaarrrggghhhh.

Funny thing though the water bill is not much lower. I think Sydney Water
keeps bumping up the price without telling us. :-)

Katherine

Old 24-02-2007, 12:14 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Claude" wrote in message
As an experiment, I caught all of the water coming out of the washing
machine this morning in buckets. To my amazement, I captured 10 buckets
from the wash cycle and another 10 buckets from the rinse cycle! At an
average of 8 litres per bucket, that's a helluva lot of water - enough to
water my modest suburban garden.

The more for less trick. A con perpetrated in times of need and never
removed in times of plenty. Like the oil companies.
We had 5 more people staying at one point in time, and when they left
there was no reduction in water usage. I queried this and they didnt get
back. I has happened again. We reduced water consumption and the bills
stay the same. But the water used now is 200 litres per day less.
Wonder how this will affect the poor water companies?
Old 24-02-2007, 08:01 PM posted to aus.gardens

"jones" wrote in message
In our house, we have been collecting the washing machine water for years.
It is definitely amazing how much water you can get. We mostly just save
the rinse cycle and carry it out in buckets. We have also bought a largish
plastic rubbin bin and put that under a roof section where the water comes
off. Again lots of water.

Then you see other neighbours just wasting it, how they like.
Aaaarrrggghhhh.

Funny thing though the water bill is not much lower. I think Sydney Water
keeps bumping up the price without telling us. :-)

Katherine

I have been doing similar the last year and making a concerted effort to
conserve water in other ways like restricting the time in the shower and so
on and have reduced my water useage by 40% on the last year.

Old 24-02-2007, 08:08 PM posted to aus.gardens

g'day katherine,

we sue the water from both cycles on our gardens, but we also use a
homemade laundry detergent recipe, that the wife is wrapped in, the
recipe is on our remedies page.

also if you check on our permaculture essay page we have a pic of how
we set up 44 gallon drums to collect water and this water is then used
for clothes washing using a boat submersable and a battery booster
pack from the auto shop all up cost around $110.

we also use a twin tub washer, the only way to conserve water and most
likley power (as the pump only gets used when emptying the machine a
single time other machines would use their pump twice per load), our
machine take 90 litres a fill for both wash and rinse purposes, and we
use that fill to do 3 loads of washing (4kg machine). once you get
into a routine usinbg a twin tub isn't that much more difficult when
comapred to at least water management.

so each drum does 6 loads of clothes (2 complete washes).

and yep that's a hell of a lot of water 160 litres for a single load
of clothes, if you could use it all for say 3 loads of clothes that
would be much better (but very hard to set laundries up to do this
with auto' machines), so you water use is mainly for washing clothes
along with toilet and shower/bath.

they not only keep pushing the price up a fed gov tenent, but they
keep cutting the water allocation litreage down as well so double
jeophardy.

the sooner the bullet is bitten the better for the family often it is
left to the very last then there is an all fired panic.

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 18:45:06 +1100, "jones" wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--