Old 21-01-2007, 06:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default permaculture design course transcript - free - link:

g'day friends,

here is a link to a free transcript of a PDC course, there are 155
pages of transcript so suggest once you have the file downloaded go to
file? and click save/save as and save the file to your documents
folder so you can peruse it at leasure off line.

enjoy:

http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/PDC_ALL.pdf

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 21-01-2007, 11:17 PM posted to aus.gardens

Thanks for this Len, I'm starting to plan a garden for the house we're
hopefully buying this year. I'm hoping I can ask them to leave a large part
of the backyard un-turfed and make it a large vegie patch.

Old 22-01-2007, 06:36 PM posted to aus.gardens

way to go meeee,

don't forget to make room for a water tank, the bigger the better.

if yo have any questions just fire away.

snipped

Old 22-01-2007, 08:20 PM posted to aus.gardens

Yes, tat's what we'd like to do. Not sure if we'll be able to, as we might
not have enough room. The plan so far is to buy up here for now and
eventually move back down south near our family, so I'm saving my long term
ideas for when we move...I'm hoping we can get a block down south and work
on self sufficiency...DH wants to do (I can't remember the long name) the
fish growing thingy that was on Gardening Australia, and I want to be able
to grow pretty much everything ourselves, and have tank water and
solar....unfortunately all this costs $$ to set up, so we're working on that
bit for now....I *am* having a garden, though, with some small chooks
hopefully, and hopefully will end up producing as much vegies as possible;
right now we're spending a third of our grocery money on vegies that are
often dodgy....surely I can grow better!!
"gardenlen" wrote in message
way to go meeee,

don't forget to make room for a water tank, the bigger the better.

if yo have any questions just fire away.

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 23:17:26 GMT, "meeee"

snipped

Old 22-01-2007, 11:39 PM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:

..DH wants to do (I can't remember the long name) the
fish growing thingy

Aquaculture?

Old 23-01-2007, 08:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Linda H" wrote in message
meeee wrote:

..DH wants to do (I can't remember the long name) the fish growing thingy

Aquaculture?

Sort of but more complicated..... a hydroponic system and aquaculture system
all linked, so that the fish water flowed through the hydroponic gravel, the
plants removed the poo etc then the now-purified water was pumped back in to
the fish. There was beneficial bacteria involved, in the gravel I believe,
and he was working on growing his own pond weed to use as fish food, so that
it would be completely self sufficient. DH got all inspired and wants to do
it now

Old 23-01-2007, 11:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:

Aquaculture?

Sort of but more complicated..... a hydroponic system and aquaculture system
all linked, so that the fish water flowed through the hydroponic gravel, the
plants removed the poo etc then the now-purified water was pumped back in to
the fish. There was beneficial bacteria involved, in the gravel I believe,
and he was working on growing his own pond weed to use as fish food, so that
it would be completely self sufficient. DH got all inspired and wants to do
it now

Hmm, yes it does sound very complicated but it sounds very efficient -
if it all ran as it should. I suppose then the poo-ridden extra waste
could be used again to grow more even more plants. More fish... a real
cycle alright.

Old 23-01-2007, 06:34 PM posted to aus.gardens

is Dh thinking aquaculture?

we have some real time costing for solar featured on a link page to
our permaculture essay, check them out i have more info coming the
hope is it can give people an idea of costs etc.,. but at the very
least give them technical info they can compare with their local
recommendations gives them a questioning point hey?

snipped

Old 23-01-2007, 06:37 PM posted to aus.gardens

i saw that doco' can't remember what they called it if they even
called it anything at all, but put simply it marries aquaculture to
hydroponics, shouldn't be too complicated once you have and idea what
is required in both cultures then link them.

snipped

Old 23-01-2007, 09:13 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Linda H" wrote in message
meeee wrote:

Aquaculture?

Sort of but more complicated..... a hydroponic system and aquaculture
system all linked, so that the fish water flowed through the hydroponic
gravel, the plants removed the poo etc then the now-purified water was
pumped back in to the fish. There was beneficial bacteria involved, in
the gravel I believe, and he was working on growing his own pond weed to
use as fish food, so that it would be completely self sufficient. DH got
all inspired and wants to do it now

Hmm, yes it does sound very complicated but it sounds very efficient - if
it all ran as it should. I suppose then the poo-ridden extra waste could
be used again to grow more even more plants. More fish... a real cycle
alright.

Yes. the guy said it took a little while to get the balance right, but it
looked efficient once it was set up.

Old 27-01-2007, 11:45 PM posted to aus.gardens

meeee wrote:
Aquaponics I think.... Once you got everything balanced and had the
bacteria colonies established it *should* run like clockwork. Well, that's
the theory....

In the meantime, perhaps he could do a degree in microbiotics and
chemistry as he will probably need them. Could also practise keeping
goldfish/whatever. You will probably want a good microscope as well to
exmine microflora in the water.

I'd suggest starting with the reedbeds they use to cleanup septic tanks,
then diversify the "reeds" into plants that you can feed to the fish.

Note, it will NEVER be self sustaining as the systems will leak
essential nutrients etc.

There is no reason why you could not start it now and simply take the
tubs with you when you move. A couple of those large "ponds" (big
plastic bins about 1.5+m x 1.5+ x 1m) would do.