Old 20-03-2007, 12:26 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Mushroom compost

Four smallish bags for $12 at Flower Power. I just built a small no-dig
garden out of the contents, with wet newspaper underneath and sugar cane mulch
on top. Planning to plant pansies and sweet peas in it.

The compost looks pretty much uniform and like large wet tea leaves. I don't
think it's "hot" -- would it be OK to plant the pansies straight away?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 21-03-2007, 01:44 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Chookie" wrote in message
Four smallish bags for $12 at Flower Power. I just built a small no-dig
garden out of the contents, with wet newspaper underneath and sugar cane
mulch
on top. Planning to plant pansies and sweet peas in it.

The compost looks pretty much uniform and like large wet tea leaves. I
don't
think it's "hot" -- would it be OK to plant the pansies straight away?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Parenthood is like the modern stone washing process for denim jeans. You
may
Kerry Cue

Yep but I would put some "potting mix" or soil in with it as it can get hot,
say about 1 to 1 ratio.
I use a lot of Mushroom compost and its great but it does decompose
relatively quickly.

Old 22-03-2007, 09:09 AM posted to aus.gardens

We get fresh compost straight from the farm $30 pcm (complete with the last
mushrooms). We use it for (amongst other things) mulch around the roses at
the beginning of summer. Being fresh it tends to dry out and makes good
shading mulch during the dry weather, but once we get the autumn rains it
decomposes quite quickly to expose the soil to the replenishing rains.

Geoff

"RooBoy" wrote in message

"Chookie" wrote in message
Four smallish bags for $12 at Flower Power. I just built a small no-dig
garden out of the contents, with wet newspaper underneath and sugar cane
mulch
on top. Planning to plant pansies and sweet peas in it.

The compost looks pretty much uniform and like large wet tea leaves. I
don't
think it's "hot" -- would it be OK to plant the pansies straight away?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Parenthood is like the modern stone washing process for denim jeans. You
may
Kerry Cue

Yep but I would put some "potting mix" or soil in with it as it can get
hot, say about 1 to 1 ratio.
I use a lot of Mushroom compost and its great but it does decompose
relatively quickly.

Mushroom mushroom... Tim Watts[_3_] United Kingdom 19 09-11-2014 10:02 PM
mushroom compost Anton Jopko Gardening 2 03-09-2004 12:27 PM
Spent mushroom compost Bob United Kingdom 6 14-01-2004 07:02 PM
Spent mushroom compost Bob United Kingdom 0 06-01-2004 11:14 PM
mushroom compost good or bad? TheScullster United Kingdom 13 08-10-2003 04:23 PM