Old 06-10-2007, 09:53 AM posted to aus.gardens
cp cp is offline

Default Gardens vs dogs

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 18:40:24 +1000, "Staycalm"
wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I have a lovely established veggie garden in the back yard. I am planning

get a puppy or young dog (small breed) in the next 4 months or so.
Should I plan to fence off the veggie garden in some way?
What can I use that's not too costly but will protect the patch?
Liz

Yes..Star pickets and dog wire.

David

If I only have a little dog (not a high jumping type of dog), how high
should I make it? Can I make it low enough to step over or should I just
incorporate some sort of gate?

I've found water bottles do the trick. If you are going to build a
fence make sure it goes down at least 2 feet as dogs do like to dig to
get under things.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I have a lovely established veggie garden in the back yard. I am
planning
get a puppy or young dog (small breed) in the next 4 months or so.
Should I plan to fence off the veggie garden in some way?
What can I use that's not too costly but will protect the patch?
Liz

Yes..Star pickets and dog wire.

David

If I only have a little dog (not a high jumping type of dog), how high
should I make it? Can I make it low enough to step over or should I just
incorporate some sort of gate?

I've found water bottles do the trick. If you are going to build a
fence make sure it goes down at least 2 feet as dogs do like to dig to
get under things.

Our neighbours had a jack russell X and we spent 6 months+ filling in holes
it dug between our properties. In the end we made the yard so she couldn't
dig her way out. Instead she learned to climb the fence. They decided to
rehome her recently. I would have considered taking her on as she was a
lovely little thing. But not enough training and way too energetic for us.
It will need to be a very placid lazy dog for our family :-)

Liz

Plants Toxic to Dogs Willow Australia 2 01-04-2003 10:20 AM
dogs and shade plants R B North Carolina 2 29-03-2003 02:08 AM
Best groundcover for Active DogS David Modine Gardening 6 28-01-2003 05:23 AM