Old 06-10-2007, 06:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Gardens vs dogs

I have a lovely established veggie garden in the back yard. I am planning to
get a puppy or young dog (small breed) in the next 4 months or so.
Should I plan to fence off the veggie garden in some way?
What can I use that's not too costly but will protect the patch?
Liz

Old 06-10-2007, 07:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I have a lovely established veggie garden in the back yard. I am planning

get a puppy or young dog (small breed) in the next 4 months or so.
Should I plan to fence off the veggie garden in some way?
What can I use that's not too costly but will protect the patch?
Liz

Yes..Star pickets and dog wire.

David

Old 06-10-2007, 08:25 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 16:50:06 +1000, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Yes..Star pickets and dog wire.

How many dogs does one have to melt down to get a meter of dog wire?

Old 06-10-2007, 09:40 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I have a lovely established veggie garden in the back yard. I am planning

get a puppy or young dog (small breed) in the next 4 months or so.
Should I plan to fence off the veggie garden in some way?
What can I use that's not too costly but will protect the patch?
Liz

Yes..Star pickets and dog wire.

David

If I only have a little dog (not a high jumping type of dog), how high
should I make it? Can I make it low enough to step over or should I just
incorporate some sort of gate?

Liz

Old 06-10-2007, 09:52 AM posted to aus.gardens
cp cp is offline

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 15:54:03 +1000, "Staycalm"
wrote:

I have a lovely established veggie garden in the back yard. I am planning to
get a puppy or young dog (small breed) in the next 4 months or so.
Should I plan to fence off the veggie garden in some way?
What can I use that's not too costly but will protect the patch?
Liz

Place plastic see through water bottles around the garden. This stops
them from ****ing and pooing all over the garden.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:53 AM posted to aus.gardens
cp cp is offline

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 18:40:24 +1000, "Staycalm"
wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I have a lovely established veggie garden in the back yard. I am planning

get a puppy or young dog (small breed) in the next 4 months or so.
Should I plan to fence off the veggie garden in some way?
What can I use that's not too costly but will protect the patch?
Liz

Yes..Star pickets and dog wire.

David

If I only have a little dog (not a high jumping type of dog), how high
should I make it? Can I make it low enough to step over or should I just
incorporate some sort of gate?

I've found water bottles do the trick. If you are going to build a
fence make sure it goes down at least 2 feet as dogs do like to dig to
get under things.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:32 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I have a lovely established veggie garden in the back yard. I am
planning
get a puppy or young dog (small breed) in the next 4 months or so.
Should I plan to fence off the veggie garden in some way?
What can I use that's not too costly but will protect the patch?
Liz

Yes..Star pickets and dog wire.

David

If I only have a little dog (not a high jumping type of dog), how high
should I make it? Can I make it low enough to step over or should I just
incorporate some sort of gate?

I've found water bottles do the trick. If you are going to build a
fence make sure it goes down at least 2 feet as dogs do like to dig to
get under things.

Our neighbours had a jack russell X and we spent 6 months+ filling in holes
it dug between our properties. In the end we made the yard so she couldn't
dig her way out. Instead she learned to climb the fence. They decided to
rehome her recently. I would have considered taking her on as she was a
lovely little thing. But not enough training and way too energetic for us.
It will need to be a very placid lazy dog for our family :-)

Liz

Old 06-10-2007, 02:40 PM posted to aus.gardens

In one word dont.
Either you will have a garden or you wont.
Puppies, dogs and gardens, especially a young dog dont mix.
Fence it of, star pickets and makethe wire about 12 inches deep with
chook wire, and a gate.
Also expect some entries into the garden when you forget the gate.
And dont even think of a labrador (grin!)

Old 06-10-2007, 10:35 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I have a lovely established veggie garden in the back yard. I am planning
to get a puppy or young dog (small breed) in the next 4 months or so.
Should I plan to fence off the veggie garden in some way?
What can I use that's not too costly but will protect the patch?
Liz

VALIUM. Works for me. Our dogs KNOW that the vege patch is off limits, mind
you that has taken 7+ and 6+ years to get right (I hope).

Old 07-10-2007, 02:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Staycalm" wrote in message
If I only have a little dog (not a high jumping type of dog), how high
should I make it? Can I make it low enough to step over or should I just
incorporate some sort of gate?

Liz

I suggested a fence as a way to keep a naughty untrained puppy out while
you work on training. Some dogs can jump well and some can't very well,
size is not the only consideration. Some who can jump well do it and others
don't. Then there is the possibility of digging.

Getting down to details depends on the breed of dog, the temper of the
individual, how well and quickly you can train it, if it is left on its own
to get bored etc. I am guessing you need more information before you get
this dog and usenet may not be the best place to get it. Why not take this
up with the breeder or the local club for the breed.

David

Old 07-10-2007, 02:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

For a start try this site here.
Its the best site I have found yet.
Others please look away. This is not for your eyes.....

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/waggingschool/training/

Old 07-10-2007, 03:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

Gooday Liz,
For a start try this site here.
Its the best site I have found yet.
(Others please look away. This is not for your eyes.....)

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/waggingschool/training/
Best of luck. With the information here you're of to a good start.
Jonno....

Old 07-10-2007, 06:16 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I have a lovely established veggie garden in the back yard. I am planning
to get a puppy or young dog (small breed) in the next 4 months or so.
Should I plan to fence off the veggie garden in some way?
What can I use that's not too costly but will protect the patch?
Liz

ime some dogs go everywhere, and others will only go where it looks "empty"
(as it were). my dog doesn't go on garden beds with things in them. mind
you, he is largish, so he's not as likely to go romping through the
undergrowth (or veg) anyway.

you probably need to assume the pup is the former kind, however, just in
case!!

i'd just put up some chicken wire or something with stakes - it wouldn't
need to be high, just be a barrier s/he can't walk through, to demonstrate
s/he can't go there. later when training is fully underway, train him/her
off the area once you've got a "don't go there"-type command.

it sounds odd, but short, thin stakes put in (quite a few to the square
metre) keeps dogs off too.
kylie

Old 07-10-2007, 07:24 AM posted to aus.gardens

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I have a lovely established veggie garden in the back yard. I am planning
to get a puppy or young dog (small breed) in the next 4 months or so.
Should I plan to fence off the veggie garden in some way?
What can I use that's not too costly but will protect the patch?
Liz

ime some dogs go everywhere, and others will only go where it looks

"empty"
(as it were). my dog doesn't go on garden beds with things in them. mind
you, he is largish, so he's not as likely to go romping through the
undergrowth (or veg) anyway.

my mutts keep my vege garden free of cat poop or any other odorous compost,
a very useful service on their part they assume until they try to lick me.

rob

Plants Toxic to Dogs Willow Australia 2 01-04-2003 10:20 AM
dogs and shade plants R B North Carolina 2 29-03-2003 02:08 AM
Best groundcover for Active DogS David Modine Gardening 6 28-01-2003 05:23 AM