Old 11-10-2007, 12:23 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Silverbeet get brown stems (Brisbane)

My silverbeet has been getting brown stems and slowly dying.

I live in Brisbane. Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks

Lionel.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:03 PM posted to aus.gardens

Im not sure, but it would suggest that they are not getting enough
water, are placed in full sun.
Put them some where less exposed and allow better watering. no problems
in Melbourne with this kind of thing....

Old 11-10-2007, 01:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
Im not sure, but it would suggest that they are not getting enough
water, are placed in full sun.
Put them some where less exposed and allow better watering. no problems
in Melbourne with this kind of thing....

Well actually, I've been watering like crazy, we've had storms recently
and they are in about 65% sun.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:45 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Lionel van den Berg" wrote in message
My silverbeet has been getting brown stems and slowly dying.

I live in Brisbane. Does anyone know what this is?

What does the brown stem actually look like? Is it dry and hard or mushy?
How old are the plants?

Old 12-10-2007, 09:01 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Lionel van den Berg" wrote in message
My silverbeet has been getting brown stems and slowly dying.

I live in Brisbane. Does anyone know what this is?

What does the brown stem actually look like? Is it dry and hard or mushy?
How old are the plants?

The stems are quite thin (flat) which would suggest dry.

I double checked the soil and it is moist, so they are definitely
getting enough water.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:46 AM posted to aus.gardens

Then it would be too much water.
Silverbeet will usually grow well with minimum attention in Melbourne.
Its the roots that are rotting.
Same effect as not enough water No nutrients getting to the plant.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:08 PM posted to aus.gardens

Jonno wrote:
Then it would be too much water.
Silverbeet will usually grow well with minimum attention in Melbourne.
Its the roots that are rotting.
Same effect as not enough water No nutrients getting to the plant.

Starved of water they will be, but I think it may be too late.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:47 PM posted to aus.gardens

OK No problem. Just plant some more. No in same spot though.
Where you are they should grow really quick, but not so much water
perhaps. Water every two to three days, or less, when you see them wilt
then water them. Dont let them wilt too often...But they usually revocer
rather easily.
And providing they dont get scorched in your climate will last around a
year, as they do here.
I am not sure the best time to plant them there, but spring here is
when the old plants I planted last spring go to seed so I replace them.
This has happened just now.
Best of luck!
As a Dutchie you shoulnt have any problem...
This one doesnt.

Old 13-10-2007, 12:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

OK No problem. Just plant some more. Not in same spot though.
Where you are they should grow really quick, but not so much water
perhaps. Water every two to three days, or less, when you see them wilt
then water them. Note the periods of rain etc and dont water them too
often. They will let you know when. Dont let them wilt too often...But
they usually recover rather easily.
And providing they dont get scorched in your climate will last around a
year, as they do here.
I am not sure the best time to plant them there, but spring here is
when the old plants I planted last spring go to seed, so I replace them.
This has happened just now.
Best of luck!
As a Dutchie you shouldn't have any problem...
This one doesn't.

Silverbeet Steve[_7_] Australia 7 09-04-2007 01:17 AM
Red Silverbeet Snoopy Edible Gardening 3 04-09-2005 09:32 PM
Yellow silverbeet Ivan McDonagh Australia 9 04-12-2003 09:43 PM
Where to get Microsorium scandens in the Brisbane area? Dave Gillingham Australia 1 31-08-2003 08:22 PM
Silverbeet Anna Merchant Edible Gardening 7 26-04-2003 06:32 PM